Good Dry Glove options other than Waterproof Ultima?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I disagree. I think it would be annoying / uncomfortable, I think you would end pissed off and cold, but I'm not sure about imminent death.

Do you have any links to cases where someone died in such a way? I've heard "it can" but I've never seen it cited in the real world anywhere.
It depends on the dive, right? People running a significant deco obligation from deep North sea wrecks and U-boats could have some serious trouble with both hypothermia and the resulting poor perfusion leading to slow off-gassing and substantially increased risk of DCS. So maybe not imminent death but some pretty poor outcomes and potentially life-altering.

This is what I do.

I disagree. I think it would be annoying / uncomfortable, I think you would end pissed off and cold, but I'm not sure about imminent death.

Do you have any links to cases where someone died in such a way? I've heard "it can" but I've never seen it cited in the real world anywhere.
Flooded suit + cold water + decompression obligation = bad news

If one was doing a risk assessment for not having wrist seals, there’s a definite chance that gloves will fail and the consequences in cold water can be grave. The mitigation is wrist seals or strong gloves.

The inner right needs to be there but it doesn't require the wrist seal. Pop the outer o-ring off, remove the seal and put its o-ring back on, put inner ring back in and its retaining o-ring.
View attachment 778048View attachment 778049View attachment 778050View attachment 778051View attachment 778052

Thanks!

I had heard that diving with a torn wrist seal can cause a leak around the dryglove itself. Maybe that is BS (or a miscommunication). Or, maybe it is true but only if the tear goes under that black O-ring in your last photo, and simply removing the glove will allow the O-ring to make good contact again. I'll have to take a closer look next time I have my drysuit out.

Edit to add: or maybe the person who told me that, used the other type of Kubi glove rings, which pinch onto existing wrist seals of a suit. Unlike yours (and mine), where the cuff-side rings are glued into the suit itself. With that kind of setup, I could see a torn wrist seal causing a total failure of the dryglove system.

It depends on the dive, right? People running a significant deco obligation from deep North sea wrecks and U-boats could have some serious trouble with both hypothermia and the resulting poor perfusion leading to slow off-gassing and substantially increased risk of DCS. So maybe not imminent death but some pretty poor outcomes and potentially life-altering.

I understand (and have heard numerous times) of the hypotheticals, but I've never actually seen a case cited. Have you?

I mean.. I could also tear a massive hole somewhere in my suit and experience the same thing. Right?

I understand (and have heard numerous times) of the hypotheticals, but I've never actually seen a case cited. Have you?

I mean.. I could also tear a massive hole somewhere in my suit and experience the same thing. Right?
Doesn’t have to be massive just in the right/wrong place

Suits tend to be far tougher than gloves, especially the thinner G17K Marigolds and their ilk.

Lol.. I'm not saying it can't happen.. but still would like to hear of an actual case? Anyone?

I know that the isolation manifold valve is there because there's a chance that a tank o ring could rupture causing catastrophic gas failure.. but I don't think there's ever been such a documented case of such a thing happening (on the contrary people have died way more often from having the manifold off when they assumed it was on).

My point is just because something can happen doesn't mean it will or does. Probably are more likely to die in a car crash then from a glove failure and I drive every day. Glove failure, uncomfortable.. yes, annoying... absolutely... but deadly?

Maybe I'm ignorant, but I'm wondering if this is something that makes sense on paper but irl it just isn't something to worry about?

My full glove tear was on an awful dive with lousy visibility at 45m/150ft in a current in cold water 7C/44F. I caught the G17K Marigold glove on the wreck and it tore a 5cm/2 inch slash from the palm into a finger.

Stupidly I’d put a thumb loop around my thumb which was leaking into my suit. Had to remove the glove and get the loop over my thumb which was difficult due to the other hand being in a glove. Eventually managed to do that and stop the leak. Replaced the shredded glove as there’s some insulation despite the slash. Had a sopping wet arm and could feel it on my chest.

Ended the dive and started the ascent and ran the 25 mins of deco. Was cold but not dangerously so. Glad to get out of the soggy dive kit and have a cup of tea.

Had I chosen to dive without cuff seals my suit would have been completely flooded. Aside from hypothermia, this would have affected the decompression as my body constricted blood flow to the limbs, risking a bend. In other words a significant risk to my life.

As it was, the partial flood was annoying but not serious.

With wrist seals, I’ve the option of removing a glove underwater for whatever reason. Of course it would flood the glove, but not the suit.

My full glove tear was on an awful dive with lousy visibility at 45m/150ft in a current in cold water 7C/44F. I caught the G17K Marigold glove on the wreck and it tore a 5cm/2 inch slash from the palm into a finger.

Stupidly I’d put a thumb loop around my thumb which was leaking into my suit. Had to remove the glove and get the loop over my thumb which was difficult due to the other hand being in a glove. Eventually managed to do that and stop the leak. Replaced the shredded glove as there’s some insulation despite the slash. Had a sopping wet arm and could feel it on my chest.

Ended the dive and started the ascent and ran the 25 mins of deco. Was cold but not dangerously so. Glad to get out of the soggy dive kit and have a cup of tea.

Had I chosen to dive without cuff seals my suit would have been completely flooded. Aside from hypothermia, this would have affected the decompression as my body constricted blood flow to the limbs, risking a bend. In other words a significant risk to my life.

As it was, the partial flood was annoying but not serious.

With wrist seals, I’ve the option of removing a glove underwater for whatever reason. Of course it would flood the glove, but not the suit.
I'm not sure that Marigold gloves are the best choice for wreck diving.

We've had good success with these - 56-635 | ATG® Intelligent Glove Solutions - they are a much better fit than Showa's - they don;'t have the blobby fingers.

They now do a cut resistant version too - 56-633 | ATG® Intelligent Glove Solutions

Lol.. I'm not saying it can't happen.. but still would like to hear of an actual case? Anyone?

I know that the isolation manifold valve is there because there's a chance that a tank o ring could rupture causing catastrophic gas failure.. but I don't think there's ever been such a documented case of such a thing happening (on the contrary people have died way more often from having the manifold off when they assumed it was on).

My point is just because something can happen doesn't mean it will or does. Probably are more likely to die in a car crash then from a glove failure and I drive every day. Glove failure, uncomfortable.. yes, annoying... absolutely... but deadly?

Maybe I'm ignorant, but I'm wondering if this is something that makes sense on paper but irl it just isn't something to worry about?
I've heard of one bad outcome from what seemed like a minor suit leak (I can't remember the location of the leak). All I know is being cold for any reason is a totally different ballgame for people doing huge runtime 80m+ dives compared to my little no-deco 30-35m bimbles where I could go from having an issue to being in the wheelhouse in 10-15 minutes or so. And that changes the maths on whether keeping the seals is worth it or not.
I dive with wet gloves so no dog in this fight, but I do have a seaskin with SiTech rings so I'm always thinking about upgrading to one of those compatible systems.

Back
Top Bottom