Have you been denied a dive because of the lack of paper dive log (w/ signature)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry about what happened to you.

I used to have paper logs but around dive 600 or so, I switched to my own electronic log first on a spread sheet then do a data base and now on Mac Dive. I still like to log as it keeps a record of things. I have been asked once to show a log book; that was in the mid 1980s.

As you all know, some people don't even log their dives.
Where does it end?
Northernone nailed it.

No one has ever wanted to see my paper log book. Not for charter dives or courses. Nada. I have been asked when my last dive was, and that was usually last week.
But I haven't read any of the replies because the solution is simple and one I learned back in 2011. When you book a charter dive or a dive vacation, ask every question imaginable before you go. No surprises. Use e mail and print stuff out. "You said I didn't need a paper log--here's the e mail". I have to be sure shell collecting is allowed, and I want it in writing unless I know the Captain.

They should start doing this for highway driving. I spent at least 30 days afraid to watch the news after my son got his driver’s license.

Diving is a very individual activity, shops should not be held accountable for a persons ability or lack thereof. Here’s my C-Card, it recommends my limits...

I would be pived if some one did this to me. You can almost guarantee that it will non happen at any commercial venture. They only want the money, they care less if you are qualified to do the dive. the is why they have waivers. Now club or event dives are a different matter. The club has their purpose in life IE at a GUE event. If you are not GUE you don't enter. I have heard of DIR events refusing all that did not use a BPW. I think that if you had a AOW card it may not have happened. The odds of an AOW not having a night dive can be very slim in many areas. You can be sure if someone showed up with a cave card they would not ask for an inst sig. The odds of having a brand newby OW wanting to do a night dive and never have done it before is not unusual to expect.

When shops and groups or clubs do this they have their Ins liability carrier to satisfy. That may be to insure that they sponser no dives or those not qualified to do them.

I was denied by a charter op on Cape Ann over the phone after saying that I had over 1500 logged dives and 40+ years experience at the time but no AOW card. They weren't even interested in seeing my logs. Needless to say even years after buying my AOW card I've never called them again. I can't imagine why I'd want to dive with such a ridge unbending op.

...I"m not much for group dives but you might want to avoid events "sponsored" by this particular shop. This sounds like a thinly veiled attempt to sell night adventure dives or specialty certs.
The shop apparently is very economically driven...$$$
Find another shop
If it was me I would have showed up and done my dive and buddied up with whomever I pleased even if it someone who was part of their group. If asked I'd say "It's a free country, you don't own the ocean and your "printed and signed logbook policy" sucks donkey balls and I'd never join any of your dives, or spend any money in your shop and I'll tell every diver I know about your idiotic policies"

Boy, you guys are tough on the shop! I figure they don't owe me anything and I didn't lose anything so no harm, no foul! If they're motivated by $, then there's nothing wrong with that.....they're a shop! At least they were straightforward in stating their policy right away and didn't do any kind of bait-and-switch. We're lucky to have 2 shops that close on different days in the area and I have very much vested interest in supporting both shops to make sure we continue to have 2 shops in the future so I can get air fill any day of the week!

Sorry about what happened to you..
Thanks! But nothing really happened this time. Sure, I was taken by surprise but mostly I wanted to make sure something similar doesn't ruin my vacation in the future.

...But I haven't read any of the replies because the solution is simple and one I learned back in 2011. When you book a charter dive or a dive vacation, ask every question imaginable before you go. No surprises. Use e mail and print stuff out. "You said I didn't need a paper log--here's the e mail". I have to be sure shell collecting is allowed, and I want it in writing unless I know the Captain.
Thank you. I will make sure to do that when I book a charter or vacation. Though I'm glad to hear that this shop's policy is apparently uncommon.

I think that if you had a AOW card it may not have happened. The odds of an AOW not having a night dive can be very slim in many areas.
I do/did have an AOW card, but of course it doesn't say on the card which dives I did to earn it. If it had said "night" on it, I'm sure the shop would have accepted it.

I was denied by a charter op on Cape Ann over the phone after saying that I had over 1500 logged dives and 40+ years experience at the time but no AOW card. They weren't even interested in seeing my logs. Needless to say even years after buying my AOW card I've never called them again. I can't imagine why I'd want to dive with such a ridge unbending op.
I've read a few accounts like this and it's almost the entire reason I got the AOW!

Well, the AOW card thing is very well discussed here. We know that requiring it probably has only to do with possible lawsuits regardless of one's dive experience. Can't blame them and I read that they are not at all alone on this idea.

Computer dive log wasn't enough?

Never been asked to show my logbook with signatures of dive instructors in 12 years of diving (600 dives).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom