Help with all-rounder fin choice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thanks @shurite7 - helpful post, gives me an indication that the tech-style fins a la RK3 /Jet won't be the best if I want a fin suitable for current.

With the hinge fins like Seawing Nova, I did hear it wasn't great for close control - ie maintaining position close to some coral for photos then backing out of there, and I wasn't sure if the positive buoyancy on those might be a bit much for a 7mm wetsuit...

Don’t get too caught up in the idea fins are a solution to control. Learning different kicking styles is key to knowing which fin to use in certain situations. I can swim backwards in split fins, but they don’t work that great. Jet style fins work well in currents, its just they tire one out if you have to kick a lot. When it comes to currents usually you go with it; I had swim against it (mountain streams and rivers) at times when looking for evidence or a body, therefore I preferred the Nova Fins.

When using my video camera and diving with a drysuit in cold water the Jet style fin allowed me to have a lot of control with using different kicking techniques. In warm water, some videographers prefer the long free diving blades that allow them to swim with smoothness and speed. It is a pain owning multiple fins, some fins work well compared to others in certain situations. Again, mastering fin techniques is the most significant part.

Scubapro Go Sports or Quattros. The Go Sports are shorter, but they are wider and kind of bulky so you don't actually save much luggage space with them.

One other option is Force Fin Pros. They've replaced my Mares and Go Sports as general purpose fins. But they are very expensive new and many divers find they really dislike how they feel, so you'd want to try them out first or look for a used pair so you can sell them on if they don't work for you.

Reactions: EdC
Dived today and took both pairs of fins , Mares Excite Pro [with boots] and Aqualung Storm [with 3mm socks], also took 3 masks [but that is another story], a lot of drama changing in and out of gear as I also tried out a new 5mm wet suit, changing from my 3mm wetsuit with a vest, playing around with weights with the Hydros Pro. Solo diving so I could take my time and not bother anyone and not deep.
The Excite Pro are very good hard to beat for propulsion, I found I could kick like a frog, turn like a chopper, a back peddle [well a bit, not very well], great fin.
The Storm was also good,they would never Keep up the Excite, but better some more expensive fins I have tried, I could do all the kicks with them, even back, turned easy also, these are going my next wreck dive.

Good feedback @pressurehead,thanks!

Tried on the mares in-store again today - The strap felt a bit uncomfortable through boots, the part at the back that pushs onto your heel - anybody felt that with any fins and advise around there?

The Mares Avanti Quattro is much-beloved for warm-water diving! Ditch the default straps and go for steel springs.
The Mares steel springs cost almost half as much as the fins themselves!!

Good feedback @pressurehead,thanks!

Tried on the mares in-store again today - The strap felt a bit uncomfortable through boots, the part at the back that pushs onto your heel - anybody felt that with any fins and advise around there?

The Mares steel springs cost almost half as much as the fins themselves!!
Fin is so personal just like shoe. Was it your own booties?
Spring strapping is expensive especially from the same manufacturer!

Fin is so personal just like shoe. Was it your own booties?
Spring strapping is expensive especially from the same manufacturer!
I can get a generic strap, yeah?
I was trying on store boots - haven't found any I'm happy with yet (my foot's a little wide).

Sigh, I'm also in the middle of choosing a BCD to buy, so I'm thoroughly overwhelmed...lol

The Mares strap just seemed to dig into the heel enough to be uncomfortable....

I was wearing these, no problem with the strap .
1098131_primary.jpg

Edit: Did the boots you used in the shop have the heel support like these?

I was wearing these, no problem with the strap .
Edit: Did the boots you used in the shop have the heel support like these?
Yeah they did, but maybe it's a quality difference. First time I tried them on I didn't notice the heel strap as much (though I noticed it more in the Excite than the Quattro, which is weird because it's the same strap)

Ok Capt, what did you buy?
Yeah they did, but maybe it's a quality difference. First time I tried them on I didn't notice the heel strap as much (though I noticed it more in the Excite than the Quattro, which is weird because it's the same strap)

Cold-water divers in drysuits generate more drag, which increases even further for people who are diving doubles or carrying AL40 pony bottles (both common in the Great Lakes). The Quattros just don't have enough propulsion oomph for that much gear.

Secondly, drysuit divers are often "foot-light" and need extra weight at that end to maintain balance and trim. Because of this, drysuit divers typically prefer fins that are both heavy and stiff, which Quattros aren't.

Yep, my experience exactly. I love my Scuba-Pro Sea-wing Nova's for warm water diving. Put on my dry suit and my feet are too floaty, so switched back to my plain black and heavier Rocket fins for cold water dry suit diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom