Here is a hi res download of DIR III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

George Irvine come off like a total jackass, the way everything he does is right, and yet he can't even take his weight belt off properly or handle his equipment with care. If DIR wants to market itself as recreational it needs allot of image work.

Wow, I can't see how you can come to that conclusion at all...
Clearly he's pointing out the deficiencies on some other gear choices. He tells why DIR is using things they do.

Sheesh, this **** can kill you, and you want it sugar coated??

Clearly he's pointing out the deficiencies on some other gear choices. He tells why DIR is using things they do.

I'm guessing he made the comments about ineptitude based upon GI's removing the weight belt by the buckle instead of the tail end (usually taught as a "no-no" in open water classes) and the fact that he was throwing gear around several times - which may look like abusing his gear...

Just my guess where those comments came from.

Aloha, Tim

But that's a ScubaPro buckle...

(said in a Harry Callahan voice)

When I was a band spanking new diver. PF sent me a link to this clip. I did not have high speed at home at the time. So I packed up my lap top and head phones and spent a couple of hours trying to get through it. The connection at Panera Bread was not the best, but the information, was so helpful that I stayed and worked through it.

It was very helpful to me. I have watched it several times. Thanks so much for putting it together.

Exactly right. We don't like to see ponies mounted on the back of a scuba tank....for many reasons.

Now as to use of a pony, hung stage style.....If I were to dive the HydroAtlantic tommorow, I may use an 80 cubic foot tank-for back gas ( a mix I could breathe to the surface) and I could use a 20 cubic foot pony hung stage style, and it would contain 100% oxygen. The "pony" would NOT be redundant gas, it would be deco mix to do 5 to 10 minutes with at 20 feet deep. My dive buddy would still be my redundant air source, not my pony/stage tank. :)

Regards,
Dan V

If this is the origin of the disparagement of pony bottles this makes total sense.

Get rid of this snorkel shown at you avatar and then try to learn something about diving.

I'll never leave my snorkel behind, even if it's not on my head it will be on me when I dive. Thats what I learned thats what I do, and my experiences so far have reenforced that. It's a matter of practicality, thats the North East way. I suppose you probably would want me to get rid of my pony too... As long as one is competent and comfortable with the equipment they dive with thats all that matters regarding equipment. Also what I learned regarding equipment failure is that it's extremely rare, and that you are more likely to get into trouble not solving problems as they arise. This is coming from a man who has been a scuba instructor for 40 years. As far as diving styles, every area has there own that is best suited to there environment.

Last edited:

The whole plastic thing is BS. I made my own harness using nothing but derlin hardwear, and a fiberglass buckle. The same hardwear I use in the bags I sew, the same hardwear that stands up to year round, all weather street use. The only time derlin buckles break is when you step on them. As far a 'nylon' stitching goes (actually a misnomer, the standard thread is polyester) it's actually stronger then the fabric in most cases. The tread I use in my bags and webbing work is v96 sail thread it's strong durable stuff, and the only reason it should ever fail is if you abuse it.

I'll never leave my snorkel behind... I suppose you probably would want me to get rid of my pony too... Also what I learned regarding equipment failure is that it's extremely rare... As far as diving styles, every area has there own that is best suited to there environment.
I don't want you to do anything. Keep what you want, do what you want. Have your style and keep what you've learned for yourself. But be so kind not to post such things in DIR forum. Find another place to share your opinions with like minded divers.

I'll never leave my snorkel behind, even if it's not on my head it will be on me when I dive. Thats what I learned thats what I do, and my experiences so far have reenforced that. It's a matter of practicality, thats the North East way. I suppose you probably would want me to get rid of my pony too... As long as one is competent and comfortable with the equipment they dive with thats all that matters regarding equipment. Also what I learned regarding equipment failure is that it's extremely rare, and that you are more likely to get into trouble not solving problems as they arise. This is coming from a man who has been a scuba instructor for 40 years. As far as diving styles, every area has there own that is best suited to there environment.

Wow, what can I say!

Guys, not all North East divers are like this. Not even 25 dives and has a pony. :shakehead:

Wow, what can I say!

Guys, not all North East divers are like this. Not even 25 dives and has a pony:shakehead:.

He can enjoy this pony, I'm just wondering exactly what kind of sympathy he's expecting or what kind of point he's try to prove in the DIR forum?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom