How Can I Try a BP/W Setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skubadad

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've been diving for over 10 years now and I'm considering switching from a traditional BCD to the BP/W design. I like the idea of less bulk and more streamlined. I've done a little research and folks seem to be very pleased with the DSS gear. I am however concerned about the comfort of a BP/W. I have no plans to do any tech diving, so is it even practical for me to switch to this setup?

Tobin...is there a dive shop in Alabama that carries your gear. I'd very much like to see it up close and try it on. Ideally I'd like to dive with it but I'd be satisfied with just trying in on in a dive shop.

For those that switched from a traditional BCD to this design, why did you switch and are you happy?

Marc

I am a recreational diver who switched for the same reasons you're thinking of, i.e., streamlining. I am very happy that I did and I love my DSS rig. I've also found it to be more stable and really help with horizontal trim. If you can find one to borrow and try while actually diving, definitely do it - don't base you decision on how it feels on land, especially with a Hogarthian harness. I bought mine, however, without ever trying one previously. Some people feel they are slightly less comfortable on land than a jacket, though this is not the case for me. Underwater you don't even know it's there. Too bad you're in Alabama or you could try mine.:D

Cheers,
Lilla

I've been diving for over 10 years now and I'm considering switching from a traditional BCD to the BP/W design. I like the idea of less bulk and more streamlined. I've done a little research and folks seem to be very pleased with the DSS gear. I am however concerned about the comfort of a BP/W. I have no plans to do any tech diving, so is it even practical for me to switch to this setup?

I'd suggest doing a few searches here on SB concerning BP&W's I doubt you will find many (any?) complaints about the comfort. BP&Ws look uncomfortable, but in use they "disappear".

You don't need to tech dive to benefit from a modular, streamlined rig.

Tobin...is there a dive shop in Alabama that carries your gear. I'd very much like to see it up close and try it on. Ideally I'd like to dive with it but I'd be satisfied with just trying in on in a dive shop.

You can contact:

Adventure Sports
1546 Est Ann St.
Montgomery AL 36107

334-269-3483 Ask for Rick

For those that switched from a traditional BCD to this design, why did you switch and are you happy?

Again a bit of research here on SB. Many many threads on the subject. Very very few BP&W users go back to Jacket BCs.

Tobin

I'm a recreational diver. I switched from a traditional BCD to a BP/W setup because I thought it would be much easier to trim out properly and be more streamlined. I found this to be the case. When horizontal, it's nice to have the backplate centered over your lungs, and the wing located directly over the backplate. It just feels more balanced. I think if you tried it out, it would make you a believer.

My girlfriend had a Halcyon Eclipse 30 when I bought the DSS LCD 30. We exchanged gear for a dive and discovered that the DSS setup, due to its STA-less design, was a better fit for her (with regard to weight distribution). The elastomeric cradle on the wing is a nice feature that enhances tank stability. IMO, the DSS setup breaks down easier for rinsing/cleaning. It's a minor point, but I like the Halcyon webbing and SS buckle better. Performance-wise, I honestly couldn't detect much of a difference between the two rigs. From a value standpoint, it's really hard to beat Tobin's price.

skubadad, are you under a time constraint?

If you can wait until after the 9th of July I will meet you at vortex (or just about anywhere in the panhandle) and you can dive mine if you are close to my size (5'10", 185), or at least play touchy-feely.

I started in 1975 with a horsecollar, then sherwood jacket, then wing/plate for doubles/cave, sold everything/quit diving, got back into it when kids came of age - they're using dss stuff after a trial period of poorly fitting rental bcd's.

Once you try it you'll never look back.

DSS equipment is "the bomb". great stuff, good price, and Tobin is great to work with.

Thanks so much for the replies everyone. It seems that all that have made the switch are very happy they did.

gbf - I appreciate the offer and I may try and take you up on it. On the other hand, I may also just go ahead and get it.

I'm leaning towards the medium SS backplate, hogarthian harness, and the Torus 26 wing (not sure if that's the size I need or not). I do mostly diving in the Gulf of Mexico off the Florida panhandle. Typically wear a 3mm shorty.

A few more questions....

When it comes to weights I assume the SS backplate will count for some of my weight. How do you attach other weights if needed? Weightbelt? I saw some bolt on weights on the DSS website...does anyone use those?

How easy is it to change out the tank? When I'm on a dive boat swapping tanks between dives is the process as simple as it is on standard BCD?

What's the difference between the SS backplate and the hybrid kydex/SS backplate?

Marc

I dive both a traditional BC (Zeagle Stiletto), and a BP/W.

They dive more the same than differently.

People on this board for whatever reason are becoming BP/W biased. Nothing wrong with that except that this prejudiced enters into advice they provide.

Disadvantages to BP/W
1. They are less comfortable on land.
2. They require a weight belt, or harness, or some add on ditch pockets.
3. One has no pockets, unless you add them.
4. They are expensive.

Advantages of BP/W
1. Weight distribution when diving under conditions that require a lot of weight (dry for example).
2. Rock solid tank mounting.
3. Modular.

So the question becomes, is it worth $600+ for a DSS vs. less for a nice back inflate BC. If you dive dry, or use a lot of weight IMO yes. If you are wanting a travel kit, IMO the BP/W is NOT the way to go.

Your millage may vary!

So the question becomes, is it worth $600+ for a DSS vs. less for a nice back inflate BC.

Ron,

Where are you getting your pricing information? A complete DSS rig, i.e. SS BackPlate, Wing, Harness and cambands starts at $445.

That's not not some "sort of complete" kit missing cambands or other necessary bits, it's complete. No hidden costs.

To that you might need to add a weight belt.

Tobin

Back
Top Bottom