How long do regs last?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Likewise mine (I have 5 or 6 Mk10s), although finding parts for them has been difficult for the shop I service them at.

I'm pretty abusive with my gear, don't rinse them after use in salt water, etc.

This is the one thing that will almost certainly destroy a MK10. There is no fix for excessive corrosion in the ambient chamber, which is exactly what happens when you allow salt water to dry on the reg without rinsing.

I suggest you find an excellent repair tech like DA Aquamaster, send him your two best MK10s, and have him pack the ambient chamber with grease. It's really best if you have the model that accepts a SPEC boot. I'll try to post a photo of one of mine later today.

If done correctly, the packed ambient chamber will eliminate salt water intrusion into the ambient chamber and keep your MK10 in much better shape. If you're not using nitrox, consider using silicone rather than PTFE grease for the packing; it's thicker and I suspect longer lasting.

Been diving my 1956 US Divers Stream Air this summer, it's 56 years old. My "modern" regulator is a US Divers Conshelf SE that I've had for 27 years, and probably put more than 1,100 - 1,200 dives on. My Conshelf XIVs are up to thirty-four years old, and work flawlessly, as do my AMF Voit/Swimaster MR-12s from the late 1960s - late 1970s. Anyhoo, you get the picture.

I accidentally smashed the faceplate on a 1999 Scubapro G200B about two years ago and got absolutely no support from the manufacturer (through the authorized dealer). If it wasn't for a few internet friends who sent me a spare faceplate, the reg would be in the trash.

If I accidentally smashed the faceplate on one of my 109's I would take it off, gently work the metal back in place with auto body tools (I used to be an autobody metal man), and I would put it back together and go diving.

This is why I both hate and love Scubapro.

My Scubapro Mark 7 / AIR1 is from the early 80's and still works great. Just can't find parts very easily and the younger techs don't seem to know what an AIR1 is.
I think it could go another 30 years if service was available.

So I'm going to tough it out with my new Scubapro MK 25 / A700. :D

My Scubapro Mark 7 / AIR1 is from the early 80's and still works great. Just can't find parts very easily and the younger techs don't seem to know what an AIR1 is.
I think it could go another 30 years if service was available.

Service is easily available, although if your air 1 needs a new diaphragm you'll have to find a used one. They're around.....

You could send your reg to DA Aquamaster (if he's currently available for service) and I'm sure there are many good techs out there that will appreciate your Air1. Awap seems to know just about everything with the MK7, he loves them.

Service is easily available, although if your air 1 needs a new diaphragm you'll have to find a used one. They're around.....

You could send your reg to DA Aquamaster (if he's currently available for service) and I'm sure there are many good techs out there that will appreciate your Air1. Awap seems to know just about everything with the MK7, he loves them.
Are the air 1's the square ones?
If so I have two of them, each on bright orange Scubapro stab jackets.
I'm going to guess the rigs are probably from the early eighties.
If you know anybody that wants them they're free, just pay shipping.
I need to return the favors of the faceplate and vintage SP advice to the good karma pool.

If I accidentally smashed the faceplate on one of my 109's I would take it off, gently work the metal back in place with auto body tools (I used to be an autobody metal man), and I would put it back together and go diving.

On a rough boat ride, my 109 was brutalized by an LP95. I'd like to say I used the other 109 to beat the faceplate back, but I think I used a ball-peen. Doesn't look the best (I was never an autobody metal man) but it works just fine.

In other news, I'm still looking for one more duro poppet for a 109. Anyone upgrade to the BA and keep their old poppet?

I have a Dacor 950 I believe it will last forever I personally think it's the Rolls Royce of regs it maybe a heavy great lump of brass but it breathes as well as any modern reg and thanks to Trident all of the parts needed to service it are now still available I will keep on using it as my standard air reg for as long as I can. You can't beat a solid old piece of brass, my XL's still look like they are only a couple of years old I doubt many of the modern plastic regs will look as good after 20 years....

Are the air 1's the square ones?

Air1 is a 2nd stage, not an octo/inflator like the air2. There's a photo of one in a thread I started a while back:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/regulators/424464-too-old-service.html

Post 5 has a photo of an air1.

---------- Post Merged at 08:56 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:54 AM ----------

In other news, I'm still looking for one more duro poppet for a 109. Anyone upgrade to the BA and keep their old poppet?

Have you checked vintage double hose? Bryan is really committed to supplying vintage SP parts. I bet he has one in stock.

Okay historians, I have a puzzle:

On one of my 109's, the retainer for the inhalation knob is actually slotted, and uses a different clip rather than the "normal" one we have seen for years. It is not a home modified. Any thoughts?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom