How Much More Will You Spend at Your LDS?

Whats the most extra you'll pay and still buy at the LDS?

• I won't pay a cent more than I can get it for online.

Votes: 26 24.1%
  • 20% more

Votes: 64 59.3%
  • 50% more

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • I'll pay double to shop at the LDS

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I love my LDS and I'll pay triple the online price

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'll buy from the LDS no matter what it costs!

Votes: 13 12.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeepBound

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We all know that you can get great deals when you buy online, but that there are benefits to buying locally. You have to balance the savings with the benefits of buying from your LDS. But just how much more are you willing to pay and still shop at the local dive shop?

I have all my equipment serviced regularly at my LDS, and get all my trimix, nitrox, oxygen, and argon fills there. It is also where I order all my gear.

I need to keep them in business, so that they can keep me in diving.

Without them, I would need to buy my own compressor, my own oxygen, my own helium, and my own argon. That would be no fun. I took the gas blender course, but I still do not enjoy blending on my own. And buying the required equipment would cost over $10,000.

Think about that the next time you are tempted to buy online.

nereas:
I have all my equipment serviced regularly at my LDS, and get all my trimix, nitrox, oxygen, and argon fills there. It is also where I order all my gear.

I need to keep them in business, so that they can keep me in diving.

Without them, I would need to buy my own compressor, my own oxygen, my own helium, and my own argon. That would be no fun. I took the gas blender course, but I still do not enjoy blending on my own. And buying the required equipment would cost over $10,000.

Think about that the next time you are tempted to buy online.

... maybe. Then again, if they went out of business someone else would probably fill their spot and do business better.

-Nick

It is not a question of how much, but rather who has what I want...

I don't buy the most expensive of anything, and the LDS's seem to only stock high end merchandise. If I have to wait for the LDS to order something for me, I am not saving anything. So I go on-line, order, and have it in a few days.

Depends on the item.

20% more on a back-up light is no big deal.

20% more on a $2000 dry suit is a different story.

I'm fortunate to have an LDS that charges less than MSRP for most of their stock. That being said, if the LDS has what I'm looking for in stock, I'll buy it.

If the LDS has to special order the item, but is close to the "internet price", I'll order through the LDS.

Things that need to be serviced on a regular basis, i.e. regulators, I purchase from the LDS, and bring them back to the LDS for service.

Things that need to be fitted, like wetsuits, fins, etc. I purchase from the LDS.

Anything else, I purchase online.

Ron

I generally buy from my LDS- their prices are competative with online sales, plus I get free hair :D I get a discount because I am a DM/AI for the shop, but I think they would give most people a discount for larger packages.

I buy from three LDSs whenever I can. I need them for air fills and classes, after sale service and trying stuff on for fit. I expect them to go to bat for me with the manufacturers they retail for, should that need arise. I don't mind paying a little extra. What bugs me though, is when they expect me to wait for a product that they have to order in for me. I can order something without them. I expect the LDS to have inventory on hand, and I'm willing to pay a reasonable markup for them to do that.

Back
Top Bottom