How Much More Will You Spend at Your LDS?

Whats the most extra you'll pay and still buy at the LDS?

• I won't pay a cent more than I can get it for online.

Votes: 26 24.1%
  • 20% more

Votes: 64 59.3%
  • 50% more

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • I'll pay double to shop at the LDS

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I love my LDS and I'll pay triple the online price

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'll buy from the LDS no matter what it costs!

Votes: 13 12.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's not that simple for me. For high ticket items like regs, drysuit and tanks I've purchased on-line because the LDS price was at least 20% higher if not more. For lower ticket items like the occasional hood, set of gloves, gear maintenance chemicals and stuff like that, I give the LDS my business because the cost of shipping wipes out most if not all of any savings. Plus with those items I typically want or need them right away, where as higher priced items are much more planned.

Why do people insist on "keeping my LDS in business"?

It's a BUSINESS - they have to keep YOU as a customer!

Yes, I run my own business. Yes, I have to compete with internet pricing and also large chain stores. No one OWES me a living, I have to work to keep my clients happy. The LDS of the world need to do the same. It's a changing market place. Adapt or die.

Z..

It's nice to get some perspective on what people mean when they talk about supporting their LDS. For most of you it seems that supporting the LDS means spending a few dollars or a few percent more. Here it sometimes means paying 2 times or even 3 times what it would cost online.

I think the poll could have been much more effective with a 10% option. Depending on the item, I might pay 20%. Most likely, I'd just order it online. Yet I chose 20% in the poll because "I won't pay a cent more than I can get it for online" really isn't my attitude.

It's infuriating when I know certain items at my LDS are marked up RIDICULOUSLY HIGH.

Ok for example, how much does an aluminum 80 cost at your LDS of choice??

my lds?.............................tank, boot, cap, net, 5 free fills................$300.00

To clarify, I would pay an extra 10% on top of the shipped price -maybe 20%. But they better not be beeching and groaning when I pick the item up..

Just looking at the results, the spread of the choices might be too broad. I'm with others who think 10% is more like what is reasonable. For me, that is only the mark up on a particular item. Any mark up is more than made up for by perks from the LDS (free fills, discounts on tank rental, discounts on equipment when purchased for a class, etc.). Consider the reduced cost of traveling with a group from the LDS, the value of having a purchase on demand.

To me, this is not an easy answer based on percentages. It depends on the item, possible warranty issues and the additional cost. Like stated earlier, 20% of $2,000 is a big number against 20% of $100. Lately, I have found myself buying more from the LDS lately than on the internet. I feel they need some support and I need to get air. $6 a tank is not much of a profit, if any. I spend a lot more keeping on gas in my car than I spend at the dive shop.

However, I highly doubt I would pay $300 for an aluminum 80 tank when I should be able to get one for $150-$200. I agree that it sounds excessive. I wonder why it is that high. Some pricing is based on which brands they sell. In that case, the LDS needs a new supplier or they may not sell any tanks.

Just my two cents

divenutny:
To me, this is not an easy answer based on percentages. It depends on the item, possible warranty issues and the additional cost. Like stated earlier, 20% of $2,000 is a big number against 20% of $100. Lately, I have found myself buying more from the LDS lately than on the internet. I feel they need some support and I need to get air. $6 a tank is not much of a profit, if any. I spend a lot more keeping on gas in my car than I spend at the dive shop.

However, I highly doubt I would pay $300 for an aluminum 80 tank when I should be able to get one for $150-$200. I agree that it sounds excessive. I wonder why it is that high. Some pricing is based on which brands they sell. In that case, the LDS needs a new supplier or they may not sell any tanks.

Just my two cents

$300 for an AL80!!! You're kidding right?! That qualifies as highway robbery. I can assure you I'd NEVER buy a thing from a dive shop that tries to sell an AL80 for $300.

I consider Scuba Toys my LDS even if they are in Texas and I am in Ohio. I get great prices and great service along with full MFG warranties. I take my classes at the YMCA and can get all the air I need at the dive sites. Why should I pay anything more for equipment than I have too.

Back
Top Bottom