How Much More Will You Spend at Your LDS?

Whats the most extra you'll pay and still buy at the LDS?

• I won't pay a cent more than I can get it for online.

Votes: 26 24.1%
  • 20% more

Votes: 64 59.3%
  • 50% more

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • I'll pay double to shop at the LDS

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I love my LDS and I'll pay triple the online price

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'll buy from the LDS no matter what it costs!

Votes: 13 12.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divin'Hoosier:
$300 for an AL80!!! You're kidding right?! That qualifies as highway robbery. I can assure you I'd NEVER buy a thing from a dive shop that tries to sell an AL80 for $300.

Yes, after tax....$300.00

This is my ONLY LDS. I have no other options locally! This is also the source of my frustrated LDS posts and threads I'm constantly involved in!!!! Anyhow, I'm off to there right now for a fill....:shakehead:

jsado:
Yes, after tax....$300.00

This is my ONLY LDS. I have no other options locally! This is also the source of my frustrated LDS posts and threads I'm constantly involved in!!!! Anyhow, I'm off to there right now for a fill....:shakehead:

Gotcha. Tough situation. Oh well, you either make due the best you can or move, right? Sounds like you're trying to do the best you can.

FWIW ... you can get an AL80 from DiveRiteExpress.com with free shipping for $199. That shop may have the attitude that they can charge $300 because there is no other competition, but there is. You can go to them and get it for $300, or buy one on-line and have it delivered to your door for $199.

Now the problem becomes where are you going to have it filled? With one shop in town all they have to do is refuse to fill it and they know you're stuck. Now if they throw in FREE air for the life of the tank, that might pay for itself over time. However, based upon your comments regarding the shop, I doubt they give you anything for free.

LP is running a deal all this month on Catalina AL80's for $115 plus shipping, makes it about $150 delivered.

nereas:
I have all my equipment serviced regularly at my LDS, and get all my trimix, nitrox, oxygen, and argon fills there. It is also where I order all my gear.

I need to keep them in business, so that they can keep me in diving.

Without them, I would need to buy my own compressor, my own oxygen, my own helium, and my own argon. That would be no fun. I took the gas blender course, but I still do not enjoy blending on my own. And buying the required equipment would cost over $10,000.

Think about that the next time you are tempted to buy online.

I did, that's why I joined the Volunteer Fire Department. (they provide Mod Grade E for dive team). I did that for other reasons as well but hey, good fringe benfits.

Even if I hadn't, a compressor for $3500-$5000 isn't much for a diver who needs one (trimix). Most get by without needing it. I get air at all of the big dive sites I go to. Most have nitrox to.

As for Argon, O2 etc. I get T bottles for $6/month. Argon is $12, O2 is $26 and Helium is between $60-$80.

I shop on-line for most things so why should dive gear be any different? If the LDs match the on-line price then I will buy from them. Even by matching it often works out more expensive for high ticket items because there is no tax with on-line purchases.

LDS's need to be a little more competitive, and match prices where ever possible. One LDS I use does match on-line deals and when we bought our regs, and he said the price he matched was below staff discount and he made about $10 a set. On the plus side for the LDS we spent about $120 on bits and pieces while we were in the store, most of it high profit margin garbage. We also go back to get the stuff serviced and always end up buying things we didn't really need.

letsgodiving:
I shop on-line for most things so why should dive gear be any different? If the LDs match the on-line price then I will buy from them. Even by matching it often works out more expensive for high ticket items because there is no tax with on-line purchases.

LDS's need to be a little more competitive, and match prices where ever possible. One LDS I use does match on-line deals and when we bought our regs, and he said the price he matched was below staff discount and he made about $10 a set. On the plus side for the LDS we spent about $120 on bits and pieces while we were in the store, most of it high profit margin garbage. We also go back to get the stuff serviced and always end up buying things we didn't really need.

Good luck getting air or nitrox fills when you need them.

If everyone in your area does what you do, your local dive shops will all go out of business because you yourself are penny wise and pound foolish.

in_cavediver:
I did, that's why I joined the Volunteer Fire Department. (they provide Mod Grade E for dive team). I did that for other reasons as well but hey, good fringe benfits.

Even if I hadn't, a compressor for $3500-$5000 isn't much for a diver who needs one (trimix). Most get by without needing it. I get air at all of the big dive sites I go to. Most have nitrox to.

As for Argon, O2 etc. I get T bottles for $6/month. Argon is $12, O2 is $26 and Helium is between $60-$80.

Not everyone can be a fireman with SCBA access. Macroeconomics requires agribusiness, manufacturing, retailing, and service industries as well. Government jobs like fire fighting can only be sustained upon the tax base of the overall economy. Youre also pretty lucky that you are young and strong. That won't last forever either, trust me.

If I've learned one thing from this board it's that scuba isn't a poor mans sport. And some of you, find curious little ways to point that out and basically belittle those who NEED to find the best deals around.

nereas:

If everyone in your area does what you do, your local dive shops will all go out of business because you yourself are penny wise and pound foolish.

Any business that doesn't compete deserves to go out of business. The LDS's have other income streams, like certifications courses and air refills etc. When it comes to retail sales they have to use their own judgment when it comes to loss leaders.

We have LDS's that are competitive, and others that aren't. One LDS marks their scubapro up by about 40% above MRSP, and then discount it down as if they are doing you a favor. The end up charging people around 10% above MRSP, and try and act like they are doing you a favor.

Some LDS deserve business and others don't, it is simple market forces. The same market forces that keeps the costs of all products down.

nereas:

Everyone won't do that because everyone isn't smart. There will always be schmucks to pay the inflated LDS prices so the savvy shoppers can get cheap fills. The fools are the ones who "support" the LDS only to see it close anyway.

There should be a scuba park or charter who has a fill station to get fills. If your area is so devoid of local diving that this cannot be supported then maybe your area isn't suitable for diving. One wouldn't expect to be an avid snow skier living in Belize.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom