Is Deep Sea Supply out of business

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The quickest and easiest, imho, is a long hose and bungeed backup, but from my reading that configuration does not meet your standard.

That is my present configuration. I mostly dive with people who are configured the same way so it does not create any issues but that configuration is often confusing to someone who is not familiar with it. I have to address it during the pre-dive briefing. Unlike, air2 or even short hose, this is the only configuration that allows the donor and the receiver to do an unassisted safety stop in an air share situation. Most air share scenarios do not happen in 30 feet water where feeding the octo and bolting up to the surface is advisable. They tend to happen at the edge of max depth where air consumption is highest and it also happens to be the depth from where bolting straight up to the surface without doing a safety stop would not be advisable. So yes. The configuration you mentioned is closest to my own philosophy but both the donor and the receiver would have to be trained in a similar manner for it to really work.

It is a proper second stage with the exception of your approval. I used an Oceanic version of the Air2 for approximately five years without issue. In my case it was not a matter of money or how many operational second stages I had lying about.

Respectfully no. Airshare is not a second stage. It is a BCD inflator which is also marketed as a second stage. The fact that you were able to use it for five years without incident is not of relevance here IMHO. It is the number of airshare situations that you have been able to address during those five years and the effectiveness by which you were able to address them is what would be of relevance here. It would be like saying that the airbag in my car is the best airbag because I have been driving safely without an incident! Smash your vehicle a few times and then we will see.

My question is simple and it has remained unaddressed so far. In an air share situation, which configuration works better? Is at Air2? Let us forget that it saves money or we dont trip on it and fall on the boat like you would trip on a long hose. When you are 100 feet below sea level and your dive buddy runs out of air, which is the superior configuration to address that scenario from the time it happens to the time you reach the surface? Thanks.

Airshare is not a second stage

Assuming you are serious, how would you be able to breathe from it?

Oceanic, the manufacturer of my Air2 clone, from what I can tell has a second stage that looks like the inflater combo without the inflator portion. Same mechanism, different case.

The fact that you were able to use it for five years without incident is not of relevance here IMHO. It is the number of airshare situations that you have been able to address during those five years and the effectiveness by which you were able to address them is what would be of relevance here.

I drilled on air shares on a regular basis when I was not diving solo. No, I did not deal with an actual OOA, however I've only dealt with a handful over more than five decades of diving.

My buddy had an actual Air2, I was only the victim for the drill but we never had issue when he was the donor.

My question is simple and it has remained unaddressed so far. In an air share situation, which configuration works better? Is at Air2?

I would say any configuration that the donor can use to effectivly end the OOA casulty. This would include all the configurations, pick your favorite.

It seems to me the real issue is that divers have a problem with air shares because they don't practice after the few times they may do it in OW. Perhaps they don't understand how important practice can be until they can't breathe.

Dive and let dive

Bob

which configuration works better? Is an Air2?
Well, no. The better configuration is a substantial pony; then the OOA buddy can figure out his own problems without messing with my air thank you very much. Next best is a long hose; then we can at least maneuver without clumsily embracing each other on the way up. Both of these have other compromises though. Compared to the standard rental rig with two short hoses, I don't see my Scubapro Air2 giving up anything. It breaths very well, and is even reasonably comfortable. I take it out of my mouth to dump air from the BC, but that's something I've practiced doing.

Having less hose dangling is a safety upgrade in it's own right, especially solo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom