Is Deep Sea Supply out of business

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes having someone take your air 2 and try to breathe from it would be a problem. When I use an air 2 I tell my buddies to take the regulator from my mouth if they need it. In your example above the diver switched to a second stage of the husband. The wife should have offered her primary reg. And the result would be the same

1) In order for an air donation device to work properly it requires knowledge at two ends, the donor as well as the receiver. This device changes air-share protocols and most students in their open-water course are never trained how to use this. Atomic makes similar contraption called Atomic SafeSecond inflator.

Atomic Safe Second Inflator (SS1), Stainless Steel

You will notice that this has a cuter, brightly colored second stage which is built into the inflator. During one of my dives a whjile ago I was buddied up with an insta-buddy who ran very low on air during our safety stop. He requested air by showing me his gauge that he was low so I gave my octo to him. He was extremely out of shape and probably had some medical problems (or maybe just anxiety) so when I gave him my second, he started breathing down my air really fast like he was out of breath. We were bobbing 15 feet from the surface so none of us were in danger but he was breathing so hard and heavy that I was concerned if he is having a heart attack. Then another couple showed up at the safety stop where we were holding the rope and we were not alone. I showed him my own air on SPG which was pretty low just so that we are both aware that I am also running low now. He took that gesture to mean that I did not want to share air anymore!!! In a total state of panic he took his own reg in his mouth and went looking for someone else on the hang rope to share air with. Now keep in mind that this was a safety stop and he could have made it to the surface and would probably be just fine but he wanted to complete whatever few seconds of time his computer was showing him and he wanted to borrow air from someone else. The couple next to us had just arrived at the safety stop and did not know that there was a low-on-air diver being insistent upon not surfacing until he has finished his computer generated stop time. He swam to the woman, grabbed her SafeSecond octo/inflator and tried to put it in his own mouth! I don't know whether he looked at it and mistook it to be a dangling octo since it was the closest thing on her that resembled a real octo. It is also possible that he had never seen that contraption in his life so he did not know that he was supposed to ask for the reg in the woman's mouth and not her inflator/combo. May be he did not want a reg to go from mouth to mouth so he decided at that very last minute that he will breath from the inflator instead of the primary user. In any case, he took her inflator second in his own mouth wanting to breath from it. She was looking at him totally confused like "Dude what are you doing?" and neither of them had the luxury to engage in the conversation we are having right now. Her husband / boyfriend realized that he needed air and then proceeded to donate his own octo which was a regular one (thank god) so they were on the same page as to how it was supposed to be used. Now this was not a dangerous situation for anyone at any point but it did cause unnecessary confusion which could have been avoided if everyone just had a regular octo. Bottom line is that while you may be competent in donating, the donor may not be competent in receiving. People are not trained on this as part of their open water course and they may have some very bizarre ideas on how it is supposed to be used. When they execute those ideas under water, a conversation will not be possible.

2) Millions of dives have been done where the device was never deployed for its intended purpose. In times when it is needed to be used, I think everyone will agree that it is not the quickest easiest and the most optimum set-up required for the job.

3) The bigger question here is why not a proper second stage? How much money are we going to save by purchasing this gadget instead of a proper second stage? This is an expensive hobby and we are saving no more than a hundred bucks. Is it that much of an advantage? As for second stage dangling, there are plenty of solutions that can address that so why not look into those?
I use an octopus that is inline with my inflator. I always know where it is. It never gets loose and dangles behind me. It is one less thing to keep track of and I like that.

If what i know about this is correct it does not have a shoulder release does it? I need a harness with shoulder release I have a left shoulder problem that is not going away. I live with it but the action of taking off a BCD is one that really can leave me with a lack of love for a few days. If it does have a shoulder release I might be interested. Thanks
No, it doesn't have a shoulder release. You would need the Scubapro form harness that has the releases.

So many of the most popular SB topics all in one thread.

DSS, I have their gear, it's nice, IMO the best thought out on the market. I hope they will return to the market, but will be surprised.

Air2, keep in mind, these devices are meant to be used as part of a system that includes shoulder dumps. Wings do not have shoulder dumps and the use of pull dumps is discouraged because of the risk of separating the hose from the wing. I have experimented with air2s and do not believe they are a good idea to use as part of a BP/W setup although, as with so many things, the most skilled divers can probably dive safely with them.

1) In order for an air donation device to work properly it requires knowledge at two ends, the donor as well as the receiver. This device changes air-share protocols and most students in their open-water course are never trained how to use this.

Sounds to me more like a training issue.

2) Millions of dives have been done where the device was never deployed for its intended purpose. In times when it is needed to be used, I think everyone will agree that it is not the quickest easiest and the most optimum set-up required for the job.

The quickest and easiest, imho, is a long hose and bungeed backup, but from my reading that configuration does not meet your standard.

3) The bigger question here is why not a proper second stage? How much money are we going to save by purchasing this gadget instead of a proper second stage?

It is a proper second stage with the exception of your approval. I used an Oceanic version of the Air2 for approximately five years without issue. In my case it was not a matter of money or how many operational second stages I had lying about.

When I was using an Air2 clone, now with the bungeed backup, and back in the day with a Sherwood Shadow, as well as when using a "standard" alternate second, I go over the OOA procedure before splashing. As for a random OOA diver, so far the few times it has happened over the decades, I've managed to work it out, as most have mugged me for my the reg in my mouth.

I won't be deciding on how to configure my rig because divers are not taught in OW how to deal with an OOA situation regardless of how the donor rigs his alternate second stage. There are only two choices, secondary or primary donate, even if the donor is going old school with only one second stage.

Bob

If you guys are in proper trim and weighted correctly you might be rear dumping gas a couple times during an accent. What does that have to do with an AIR2?

Or are you guys going from being in proper trim to vertical to dump gas from the inflator hose? Seems like poor technique. :poke:

I thought this was a y'all hate on dss not hate on air2 thread...

It quickly lost initiative as Tobin wasn't here to stoke the fire.....
I don't know why people don't just reach out to him on Facebook...he is always posting about what he's upto...

Back
Top Bottom