• Yes, start a Non DIR Forum

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • No, leave things as they are!

Votes: 32 25.4%
  • It really does not matter.

Votes: 24 19.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

funny you should jump on me here. as it was you I was specificly thinking of when i posted. I made a mistake of introducing any agency. i appologise to the good DIR folks out there

sorry if my spelling/grammer isn't up to your standards, i don't generaly read over my post.... i should. you see i dropped out of school in 6th grade, joined the millitary at 17 and spent the next ten years killing people for a living all in the name of freedom. then spent the next ten years running around the world on assignments.

so anyways my life has not had a whole lot of writting involved.....now we have the internet...and you can't have a secretary reveiw your reports, posts, etc before going public with them.

by the way what does (sic) mean

Sydney_Diver,
I, for one, totally agree - let the DIR guy have their own forum, and let the rest of us have our own place.

I too stopped posting mainly due to the fact that I had gotten tired of 'beating a dead horse to death' over the virtues of BP's and Wings.

This is freggin ridiculous. It is like the idiot sheep protestors you see invading speeches at colleges. These are the ones who when they hear something they do not like, or when any conservative tries to speak, they stand up and try to drown out the speaker by yelling and screaming. Complete idiocy. If you do not like DIR, fine. So be it. However, when someone asks a question about regulator configuration, why should the only answer be the PADI way? It shouldn't. People come to this board to read the experiences of a vast group of divers. Not just a certain type of diver. If I want to tell someone that I think a BP/Wing is more comfortable and a valid option for them, or tell them the benefits of a 7 foot hose, why should I be drowned out and censored by the screaming of the protestors?

Besides, if this board decides to make a DIR forum, I will still answer questions in every forum with what I feel is the best option. Why, because I do not dive a DIR rig anymore. I dive a version of the Hogarthian rig. It was developed by William Hogarth Main long before the DIR nameplate was attached. Is anyone here going to tell me I am wrong, and that I should be in the DIR forum? Or are you simply going to suggest that ScubaBoard now have a Hogarthian Forum so you can continue to drown me out?

Heck, I'm not even DIR. I dive a DIR rig because I feel this is the best, and safest, configuration that I can use for my diving. So know because I dive a DIR style rig, I should be drown out and made to sit in the corner and preach the virtues of a backplate to the already converted.

Let's also remember that a backplate does not make you DIR! Heck, even diving a JJ approved rig does not make you DIR. It is a lot more then just the gear you dive. When I finally do a GUE crossover, then I will be able to say that I am DIR, until then I am just some NSS-CDS certified cave diver who happens to dive a clean and effecient DIR style rig. What forum should I go in?

Get over it people, all this bickering is ridiculous. Their are idiots on both sides of the fence, but honestly it seems the ones who scream and cry the loudest fall on the side of "DIR is an evil cult" side. This thread is proof of that.

End Rant.

jamespitt wrote...
metridium,
sorry but as a saffer (sorry south african) in oz, i dont follow as much as i should - but i suspect yr post is somewhat tongue firmly in cheek. from what i know heard and macdonald is an antarctic island?? and thats about it. so what has the rotten government done now??
cheers,
JP
Not at all, JP, not at all!

See here for details.

JamesK once bubbled...
If I want to tell someone that I think a BP/Wing is more comfortable and a valid option for them, or tell them the benefits of a 7 foot hose, why should I be drowned out and censored by the screaming of the protestors?

End Rant.

James, I think it boils down to people with VERY LITTLE experience in a standard configuration, much less a bp/wing configuration giving advice about what they read, not what they practiced.
These are the people who rant about others complaints.

metridium,
well some things never cease to amaze me. it certainly deserves protecting.
Aquatec - [sic] is used to reflect the errors of others by quoting them directly especially in the use of bad spelling. So its quoting what you type but placing a [sic] after your errors in a way to say "dont blame me!". It is latin for 'so' or 'thus' i think.

jp

Divesherpa once bubbled...

James, I think it boils down to people with VERY LITTLE experience in a standard configuration, much less a bp/wing configuration giving advice about what they read, not what they practiced.
These are the people who rant about others complaints.

See now that I can understand.....

BTW, how were your dives this weekend? How about a report? :D

One possible problem is that a bulleting board such as scubaboard does not have a concept of permanence or real content management.

What is a solution? (Since I don't believe in opening my mouth just long enough to be the problem). One might be for Tech Admin to set up a Scoop site interlinked within ScubaBoard, such that Joe Diver can look under e.g. "Equipment Reviews" to see if anyone has anything to say about a regulator he's pondering. If noone does, he could start a thread on the general boards, and when the thread came to its conclusion, he or someone else could write up a summary story (that would have its own integrated comment area for people to note that the HUB being reviewed isn't, in fact, DIR ... without obscuring the intent of the article). Or, perhaps some sort of Wiki could be setup within ScubaBoard.

I guess my point is - DIR discussion drift is symptomatic of the medium, not the subject matter. Perhaps the Powers That Be could look at newer, more innovative collaboration methods that have come about since vBulletin, and possibly integrate them?

jeff

large_diver once bubbled...

One idea would be to develop a strong DIR summary or FAQ thread with lots of links. This could be kept in an area of the board that is “permanent”, i.e., that won’t keep getting pushed down into the archives by daily thread traffic. Folks can go and read about DIR and find out about DIR resources. If you are serious about producing this, why not ask Andrew Georgitsis or Jarrod Jablonski from GUE to put together the piece for you? This helps them by helping to publicize DIR and helps you by going to the “source”. This gives folks the resources to learn about DIR and to make their own decision about whether to pursue it.

I've considered the pro's and con's of this issue, and frankly this issue has popped up on more then one occasion on various scuba forums.

My sense is that setting up a DIR only forum is shortsighted. Many newer or less experienced diver's venture on to a scuba forum and are usually seeking advise or seeking information from more expereinced diver's so by secluding the DIR information simply to a seperate section many that may otherwise benefit from the information might not know to look under a DIR section.. It seems to me if the true desire is to share information then it makes more sense to keep it open.

Some in this thread have suggested that the DIR advocates overly and harshly criticize those that don't subscribe to the DIR philosophy. While for certain both sides of the equation have their share of fring players that go over board, it's always been my experience that if you want an answer to a DIR question, you'll get it. If you want to start an argument with someone on the DIR side of the aisle, I'm confident some will give you that as well..

It has also been said by some, that people don't like to have purchased this or that or have taken this class or that class, only to get on a scuba forum and be told that it was *wrong*.. Of course once the lables of *right* and *wrong* get thrown into the fire then the heat gets turned up and objectivety and reason usually get cast aside in favor of flames, indignation and sound reasoning. I try to avoid buzz words and use terms such as less efficient or more safe and then focus on why.. The other side of the coin is that I understand that if you are the shop owner, or if you are the instructor you may feel somewhat undercut if one of your students or one of your customers asks the question in a public forum and we then proceed to explain to them why what we recommend is safer and more efficient. I understand why some would want that information exchange limited to a seperate gallery, but in my view I like to see free exchanges of information.

Furthermore, on a more practical level I see no concievable way to implement the idea. Let's assume a new diver posts a question to the Basic list. Now let's assume a DIR advocate provides a response should that person direct the original poster to a seperate forum for a response??

Just my thoughts.

Regards

DIR has become an integral part of the fabric of diving as a whole, a seperate forum is counterproductive.

Tom

Back
Top Bottom