List of dive destinations to not go to...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

.... I like drift diving but Cozumel is firmly crossed off my list because I dont want a concrete resort putting a wrist band on me nor do I like boats with 18 divers on them, or dive sites that end up with 6 or 7 boats on the one site. Personal preference. I dont use a dollars and cents analysis to work out where im headed next. Dont worrry about Karma, its all balanced - Im a buddhist :)

Cozumel has plenty of options beside all inclusive resorts. They also have a lot of dive operators with 6 diver boats.

The big resorts do the most advertising, so I can see how someone can get the wrong picture of what Cozumel is really like. There are many options for the type of dive operator and place you stay.

If you're comparing Bonaire to a Belize liveaboard trip, I'd GLADLY pay $ 1250 more for Belize! I've been to Bonaire twice ( 2 1-week trips) and Belize once (Sun Dancer), and enjoyed all 3 trips, but wouldn't return to Bonaire. Your LDS Bonaire trip is very bare-bones pricing, doesn't include food, $ 15 - $ 20/gal (US) gasoline prices for your rental truck, etc. If you included the REAL costs of a non-inclusive, land-based Bonaire trip to the ALL inclusive Belze/Sundancer trip, Bonaire would be just as expensive, and a liveaboard is WAY easier and vastly more relaxing! My trips to Bonaire felt as if I had a new job at a moving company as chief pack mule!

No I am not. The Belize trip was also a land based too. It offered the advantage of resort meals but offered 2 tank dive day instead of unlimited. More dives could be purchased for additional price that was not included in the package. Bonaire did not have food option and people were free to either cook their own meals or eat from restaurants. The latter could have added 200 USD to Bonaire price. Still there was a huge difference between Belize and Bonaire and this was when we were comparing unlimited diving in Bonaire to 2-tank day in Belize.

I like drift diving but Cozumel is firmly crossed off my list because I dont want a concrete resort putting a wrist band on me nor do I like boats with 18 divers on them, or dive sites that end up with 6 or 7 boats on the one site. Personal preference. I dont use a dollars and cents analysis to work out where im headed next. Dont worrry about Karma, its all balanced - Im a buddhist :)

I've been going to Cozumel at least once, often 2 or 3 times per year, since 1990, and the first thought I had upon reading this was "Just what Cozumel is this poster talking about???? Is it possible that there is another, completely different Cozumel? Or maybe the poster has never actually been there?"

No never been there and never intend to - the comments here have just cemented in my mind the profile Cozumel fits into (I moderate one of the biggest travelblog sites in the world so ive read thousands and thousands of Coz blogs - divers and non divers alike). I am not a person who likes busy places, I prefer places like Papua New Guinea, French Polynesia, Truuk, Vanuatu, Madagascar, private islands off Sumatra that have 6 cottages and 20 people. Im sure Coz is a great place for people who like a social environment when they are on vacation, I do not. I have never read a dive resort advertisement for Coz so I am not basing my decision on advertising. Basing it on aforementioned reasons and friends who dive there every year and have met up with me elsewhere say I would go insane in an hour. Jeez, anyone would think its compulsory to love cozumel and put it on their must do list!
DJDiverDan if you can find me a dive spot in Cozumel with no touts, no taxi mafia, no more than one boat on any dive site at one time please let me know. These are all things that have come from the worst of Coz thread. Re the wrist band at hotels, well, mentioned several times in the WOC thread. Little Cayman on the other hand sounds more ''me'' im completely open to and probably will end up there one day.

Wingy, one of the ways of avoiding the crowd is to select an op that leaves bright and early in the morning as I have done; his 30 foot twin-engine panga comfortably holds 8 divers (plus a large camera tank). The op I dive with there is usually the first out of the harbour at about 7:30 a.m. Of course, you have to be a morning person. On the occasion where we encounter a fast moving group of newbie/cruisers passing by on the second dive (usually doing their first dive), we just stop for a minute or two because they will soon be gone.

You can rent a house on the ocean and never see a tout if that is your wish. You can rent a car and never encounter the taxi mafia (well, outside of leaving the airport). It CAN be done. For whatever odd reason, touts leave me alone or back off with a "no gracias, yo vivo en Cozumel". But, different strokes for different folks. I would sure never push someone to come to la isla if they are convinced in advance that they will not enjoy themselves.

When I choose to go to a destination for the first time, I read the reviews, such as from TripAdvisor. The trick is to figure out how to reject the reviews that are written by those who only cite the negatives of these places, in their opinions. Seriously, should I reject a place to stay because someone has eloquently written several paragraphs of how hard the beds are and therefore don't waste your money?

I would find it hard to avoid diving different locations (such as the ones you listed) because the type of diving can be found cheaper elsewhere for a few reasons:

1. Is it really cheaper when considering travel and room costs?
2. You have eliminated many places that are easy to get to from the Midwest, US.
3. EXPERIENCES!! If I had stayed clear of the locations you say to avoid I would have missed the reef shark around a pier (Caymans),100+ spinner dolphins (Kona, HI), batfish and seahorses (St. Croix), etc.....

Resort from timeshare 1 week - $230 Airfare - $1200 for 2 Diving - PRICELESS!!!!!!

When I choose to go to a destination for the first time, I read the reviews, such as from TripAdvisor. The trick is to figure out how to reject the reviews that are written by those who only cite the negatives of these places, in their opinions. Seriously, should I reject a place to stay because someone has eloquently written several paragraphs of how hard the beds are and therefore don't waste your money?

I would find it hard to avoid diving different locations (such as the ones you listed) because the type of diving can be found cheaper elsewhere for a few reasons:

1. Is it really cheaper when considering travel and room costs?
2. You have eliminated many places that are easy to get to from the Midwest, US.
3. EXPERIENCES!! If I had stayed clear of the locations you say to avoid I would have missed the reef shark around a pier (Caymans),100+ spinner dolphins (Kona, HI), batfish and seahorses (St. Croix), etc.....

Resort from timeshare 1 week - $230 Airfare - $1200 for 2 Diving - PRICELESS!!!!!!

I believe you missed a lot of conversation that happened earlier. Allow me to post once gain:

Here is a list of dive destinations of the world with approximate/ball parks costs involved to travel to these places and dive them. These costs include air travel (from DC area where I am based) and dive and stay packages.

NFL and Labrador 700 air + 1700 =2400
Iceland 700 air + 2500 (Westfjord), 3621 (Highlight), 1168 (Silfra+Strytan) = from 2000 to 4300
Alaska 700 air + 2700 = 3400
Gods Pocket (Browning Pass) 700 air + 2000 = 2700
Socorro (Nautilus Explorer) 2750 + 500 air = 3250
Cocos 4935 liveaboard + 600 = 5535
Komodo 2700 (Liveaboard)+ 1800 air = 4500
Raja Ampat 3000 (Liveaboard) 1950 air = 4950
Fiji 3000 (Liveaboard) + 1800 air = 4800
Palau (Liveaboard) 2630 + 2000 = 4630
PNG (Liveaboard) 3000 + 9430 = 12430
Galapagos (Liveaboard) 5395 + 687 = 6082
Bonaire 700 air + 1000 = 1700
Belize 707 + 2400 = 3107
Cayman 730 + 2000 = 2730
Puerto Rico 350 + 1500 = 1850
Playa Del Carmen + Cozumel Flight = 700 + 7 nights 1200 + 300 = 2200 including meals
Little Cayman = 565 + 2814 = 3379
Turks and Caicos = 500 + 900 (5 days) = 1400
Blackbeard Bahamas = 1000 + 400 = 1400
Bonne Terre mine: 450 Car and Flight + 480 diving and hotel = 930
Tobermory 80/ dive 160 + hotel 3 nights = 330 = 490 (wont need airfare)
Catalina LA 400 air + 3 day liveaboard 750 = 1150
Dry Tortugas = 1000 + 400 flights = 1400
Croatia 600 (6 night 10 dives) + 1300 airfare = 1900
South Africa = 1200 + 407 (6 night 10 dives) = 1607

Once again these prices are very DC/ East Coast specific. If Mid-West folks make a similar list with their travel costs, I am sure they will see where the best value for their dollar lies.

Rankings are always insulting Robint. Think about “10 Most Violent Places in the World!” No matter how you make that list, someone will be insulted because you are objectifying subjectivity. “20 Most Beautiful Women in Hollywood” is another brawl waiting to unfold.

When I walk into my LDS, I see a TRIP SCHEDULE advertising that years trips along with the prices. It reads as follows:

Bonaire 850 USD + Airfare

Belize as 2100 + Airfare.

I want to know from the LDS why I should pay 1250 USD more to go to Belize? Is Belize that much better? Since 1250 USD difference in price is a lot of money, I would hate open ended answers like “Every destination has something to offer!” or “You really can’t compare one dive destination to another before you actually go there etc.” Excuse me but that sales-person crap better be thrown at the next guy who walks in. If you want to make me 1250 USD poorer, you better have some damn good reason. Try selling an auto-mobile with the same lines that dive shops are using to market destinations and no one would fall for such nonsense! Ask your auto dealership “Why does this BMW cost more than Honda Fit?” Imagine if the salesman (instead of actually comparing features) tries to tell you that “Every car is different and there really is no way for you to know unless you become the owner of all vehicles so just buy this one and start driving OK???” Thus when the LDS salesman tries to pull this “politically-correct dive-destination BS,” I am sorry but I am really not falling for it.

Here is what an honest conversation from an honest LDS would sound like:

Customer: Why does Belize cost so much more than Bonaire? Is the diving there that much better than what I can have in Bonaire?

LDS Salesman: There really is not a lot of difference between Belize and Bonaire and really nothing worth for you to spend 1250 bucks on. The reason why they are priced differently is because Bonaire is shore diving and does not involve boat rides, crew costs etc. Belize tries to give you the same kind of diving but uses boats and boats come with fuel and crew costs so your cost for the same type of diving would be 1250 bucks more if you go to Belize!

WHOAAA!!! Imagine what a disaster it would be for the whole dive industry if LDS people started giving honest answers such as this??? That is why any such list does not go well with a lot of people. Here is another brutally honest conversation you will never hear in a dive shop!

Customer walks in: Hello! I see you have a trip going to Australia that is 6200 with airfare and another one going to Komodo Island in Indonesia for 5100 with airfare. Is Australia really that much better than Komodo island?

LDS Sales person: Not at all! Well you see the dive prices are less connected to the quality of diving and more connected to the local economy. The cost of diving in Australia is higher because Australia is a developed first world economy so when you dive their reef you pay first world prices. It costs a lot of money for an Australian to buy a boat and set up a dive shop in Cairns Australia than it does for an Indonesian to do so in Indonesia. Are you still interested in going to Australia???

WHO LET THE DOGS OUT WOOF WOOF WOOF!!!

Dive destinations will start to vanish from the map if such brutally honest and politically-incorrect conversations started to happen. Unfortunately I am the consumer in the dive industry, not a tour operator, LDS owner or liveaboard owner and this is exactly the world that I would like to create. Anything other than this is insulting to me.

I'm not sure where to start on this one...

First, Bonaire and Belize are nothing alike. Nothing. If you want macro diving, go to Bonaire. If you want to see anything big - sharks or sea turtles, for instance, you need to go to Belize. You won't see sharks in Bonaire or Curacao or any of the "macro" places. Also, Belize is a Central American country with lush jungles and plenty of topside activities. Bonaire doesn't have this, as it is a tiny island with beaches and lots of underwater activity. So if you worked at a dive shop and gave me the explanation you just wrote above, no offense, but I would realize you had no idea what you were talking about and had never gone diving. I would recommend thinking through this stuff a little more rather than assuming you know more about places you've never been. You're right - Bonaire is more shore diving, there aren't as many boat operating costs. That's a factor too. Many people prefer boat to shore and vice versa - and some would rather pay more to do boat dives which take you to better / further out sites. It IS different. That is the answer.

Also, it appears you haven't realized this yet, but often the trips dive shops plan aren't the best deals. (Sometimes they are great, but not often). If you only want good deals and don't care about where you go, don't sign up for dive shop trips. Plan your own and find a good deal. I've done a week in Belize with non-stop gorgeous diving and beautiful accommodations at Ramon's for less than half the price you listed above. INCLUDING airfare. Another poster mentioned flight prices, hotel prices, dive sites - they all fluctuate every day. If you are really searching for good deals, you would monitor flight prices to many destinations until you found them dip somewhere and grab it!

Finally, some of the lists you mentioned have slight facts backing them up, but generally tend to be subjective, silly, irrelevant and worth nothing. I wouldn't compare your own opinions to Hottest Women in Hollywood lists.

Like others, I want to see the merit in this thread you started and the idea behind it, but I'm struggling with the idea of new divers seeing this and believing they shouldn't go to Belize given the opportunity...

1. The price list isn't very accurate, lower and/or higher.
2. This seems more like "Can I find some info to support my pre-conceived notions about some places?" For every anecdote, there is an equal and opposite anecdote. How can you possibly figure out where to go based on this?

You can't. That's why I originally asked OP if he was trolling. His premise is completely flawed for more than one reason. At this point in time. I'm left wondering if Sinbad has some other bizarre motive for pursuing this. Is he trying to write an article of some sort?

Back
Top Bottom