Multiple 25 foot drills in a row???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is not scientific either. You'll find anecdotal evidence to support both cases (no problem vs some evidence of possible DCS). IIRC PADI changed their recommendation for CESA to partial ascents. I once had a little ping in my shoulder after multiple shallow ascents, might have been DCS, might not. Won't be doing it again though.

Agree, you're practicing deployment more so than ascending. Maybe do one ascent at the start of the dive, multiple deploy/retreive, and one ascent at the end of the dive - that should be enough

I wasn't attempting to be scientific. I was using my anecdotal evidence to counter her anecdotal evidence. Apples for apples ya know. :)

You might be right though. What has worked for me for years probably won't work for everyone.

What has worked for me for years probably won't work for everyone.

I find that is quite often the case for me too. I can say years ago when I was learning how to nav I'd surface quite a number of times to check my progress and direction from probably less than 25'. Never had any ill effects I can remember, or maybe that is the ill effect?!

A better approach may be to get a buddy to meet the bag at the surface and dump it for you, vs bobbing up and down from 25' like a tea bag.

I'm one of those instructors that has switched to 40% when I have to do OW ascent skills with anything bigger than a 2-person class.

I have felt so much less tired since I switched it is like night and day. If I go back to air, I just want to find a warm blanket and take a nap.

(Yes, I know it's anecdotal, but it is true in my case. And I've been tested for a PFO, I have none.) As Superlyte pointed out, what works for him may not for others...

All the best, James

Thanks everybody. I think I spring for 40% and then I should definitely be able to do it a bunch of times. What I really need is a “POS” SMB that I can put some pinholes on the top. That way I could safely do it from even greater depths without having to surface and let it slowly dump air automatically.

BTW – Thanks for the double ender suggestion!!!

I would point out that I use 40% because:

• I'm the guy that blends it, so it doesn't cost me more
  • I am very aware of the advantages
  • I am very aware of the disadvantages
  • It's a tool for a particular application

Just get some nitrox, 32% or 36%, whichever is banked, and that should help with the fatigue - assuming you would get tired.

All the best, James

Question?
WHat is your intent with this drill? Is it to get proficient in the deploying of the smb?

Why can you not then just put a little less gas in the smb, and be able to pull it down without ascending?
In my Fundamentalsclass we all had to demonstrate deployment of smb, and the instructor had absolutely no issues getting them down without as much as moving an inch up or down in the watercolumn.
I have tried this afterwards with deploying from everything between 45-15 feet, and have no problems pulling it down as long as I don't inflate it more than what I can hold while still keeping buoyancy at depth.

If it isn’t full of air when it breaks the surface, it isn’t properly deployed in my opinion.

A lot of commercial divers who work in harbors inspect pilings and go from 25-40' perhaps 50-100 times a day with no ill-effect.
I know one who got bent pretty severely from that and his max depth was like 30 ft.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom