Multiple 25 foot drills in a row???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I wasn't interested in learning, I wouldn't have spent 90 minutes reading all about dcs in bone marrow. Which I found pretty interesting. But just like anything else, we don't know what we don't know. I was told more than a decade ago DCS doesn't affect bones. I was told it from a guy who is pretty much top notch in his field. So I believed it. Now, in all honesty he probably dumbed it down for the stupid commercial diver, and what he said probably got whatever point across he was trying to make, but in the truest form of accuracy wasn't true. Today, I got to read all about how I was wrong all along.

Skip back to three weeks ago. I wrote a post where I believed Unbalanced piston regs wouldn't supply air at 300', because I had been told by several service techs, some even at the manufacturer level, that they wouldn't. I take what I hear on faith when the people should clearly have more knowledge than me. But when someone sheds any sliver of doubt on what I believe I know, I research the crap out of it.

I analyze every word I read, see or hear. Imagine if what I read, see or hear something that makes me question what I've always took as truth.... it's exhausting, but must be done.

I'm not clear why the OP has to retrieve the SMB on the surface, and do all the yo-yoing. When I do my SMB drills, I deploy and retrieve from the same spot without moving.

… Unbalanced piston regs wouldn't supply air at 300', because I had been told by several service techs, some even at the manufacturer level, that they wouldn't…

To be fair, the techs that told you they wouldn’t supply air at 300' were sort of right… except they forgot the word “safely”.

Last edited:
I'm not clear why the OP has to retrieve the SMB on the surface, and do all the yo-yoing. When I do my SMB drills, I deploy and retrieve from the same spot without moving.

Harry, Harry, Harry... you're supposed to put enough air in the thing to make it stand at attention on the surface... not lay there like a dead kipper!

What did he say about a "dead stripper"?

Well, if you cut them up small enough, you can really fit them in there.

Harry, Harry, Harry... you're supposed to put enough air in the thing to make it stand at attention on the surface... not lay there like a dead kipper!

That still doesn't answer my question.

No problems with the drill and I did it while breathing air! However I did have trouble getting the 5 foot Dive Rite SMB completely full on the surface while filling it from my exhaust tee at 25 feet since it is so wide. My Halcyon 3.3 footer is a piece of cake to fill from even 10 feet, but I will definitely launch the 5 foot Dive Rite SMB from at least 50 feet with my exhaust tee or use my octo to fill it from a shallower depth than that.

Back
Top Bottom