Multiple 25 foot drills in a row???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A lot of commercial divers who work in harbors inspect pilings and go from 25-40' perhaps 50-100 times a day with no ill-effect.

Doh! I completely forgot about that. Yes, that is a perfect example. We inspect from surface to the bottom over and over and over again.

I know one who got bent pretty severely from that and his max depth was like 30 ft.

Assuming that DCS was accurately diagnosed, it would be a very rare anomaly well within the range of “acceptable” hit rates. The practice of making far more than 25 ascent/descent cycles during a single working dive has been so common in various commercial and military surface supplied operations for at least 40 years that I doubt that the OP’s scenario would present a significant risk.

Last edited:
For me it is not about DCS, but my sinuses can only do about 6-8, then I am toast. I would get a float with the valve at the top, and just pull it back down afterwards, you can do as many as you want with out ever going up to retrieve it.

tie the string at the top of the float, and when you pull it it will dump the air out of the valve if you dont close it when you send it up.

The tables don't show 25 feet. But I will tell you that you need to limit the number of ascents, and control them, or you won't feel good afterwards. I did a night of ascent drills where we never went deeper than 25 feet, but we did multiple ascents, and not all of them were well-controlled. Driving home, I felt as though I hadn't slept in a week -- my foot wanted to slip off the clutch at stop signs. I have NEVER been willing to do that many drills in one day again.

One of the instructors I was DMing for earned a chamber ride doing CESA's last year. She completed 11 of these, got back on the boat, and about an hour later complained of significant joint pain. She was fine later, but just goes to show you gotta be cautious with ascents even in shallow water

....and sometimes get bent doing it?...

I've never been bent.
I don't know a single bridge inspector who has gotten bent (from bridge inspection)

---------- Post added August 7th, 2013 at 11:22 PM ----------

Assuming that DCS was accurately diagnosed, it would be a very rare anomaly well within the range of “acceptable” hit rates. The practice of making far more than 25 ascent/descent cycles during a single working dive has been so common in various commercial and military surface supplied operations for at least 40 years that I doubt that the OP’s scenario would present a significant risk.

How dare you interject with common sense and wisdom. That kind of crap has no place here. :D :D

Saw-tooth profiles 0-25, 0-25, 0-25 etc is not a good idea. Your dive education tells you that. You are working in the zone where pressure doubles (1ata-2ata)!!! Yes it might work for some divers, but this is not good advise. I really don't care how many times others have done it without issue and I surely will not take any advise from someone (instructor, educator, mentor, leadership role) that does not know that nitrogen also gets absorbed in to bone.

Okay, verify this with DAN, because I could be completely wrong, but I'm pretty sure the Cervical Fusion (My mom had it done) involves bone right? So, my mom also had scar tissue on the bone, just like any broken bone. As Nitrogen isn't absorbed into bones, but rather fat and muscle tissues, I really don't think this is an issue. Add in a serious level of conservatism (like Nitrox using air tables/computer) and an extra long safety stop, and I'd bet my rebreather that you got nothing to worry about.

Why don't the OP contact DAN and relay the response back?

Since when does bone not absorb nitrogen? Citation please?

I know after an OW class or a Stress and Rescue class I can feel totally wiped out after many accents from a 20 foot platform. Several of the Instructors and DiveCons have started alternating accents with the students, especially when there are 7 or 8 students. It has helped quite a bit, even with the pools sessions from 12-14 feet.

Terry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom