NAUI vs. PADI Nitrox course?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

davidbaraff

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm NAUI certified. I want to get a Nitrox certification. Is there much of any real difference between a PADI and a NAUI Nitrox classes? I assume a Nitrox certification by any agency is fine with all the others, and it doesn't need to be the same agency that certified you in the first place?

The closest place that is offering a conveniently located/timed course is Bamboo Reef in San Francisco, so I guess i'll go there if it doesn't matter much which agency runs the course...

Well bamboo reef is ssi but the owner is an old NAUI instructor

But I would say the major difference between padi and NAUI nitrox is that padi doesn't require dives for certification. Without dives NAUI considers it a nitrox program, and the student still has to complete dives for certification

Bamboo Reef's program does teach the Scuba Schools International Nitrox course. SSI and PADI's nitrox classes tend to be more hands on, and focus on using a nitrox computer for dive planning with nitrox tables being optional. There is little math in an SSI or PADI course, they are definitely geared for a beginning sport divers.

The NAUI course is almost the exact opposite. The manual is a more challenging read, and the course is heavy on the math behind nitrox diving. Also it actually requires you to dive on nitrox to receive the cert.

If the science behind the nitrox is an interest arrange a private class with one of the Bamboo Reef instructors and let them know what you are looking for. The group classes tend to run quick and stick to the outline. A private class can cater directly to your interests.

Safe Diving

I learned tables, of course, for my O/W --- but these days, I trust my computer to tell me where I am in terms of Nitrogen loading. I'm glad I know the theory, but practically speaking, I'm not going to consult tables --- that's what a computer is for.

On the other hand, after I finish a dive, and am getting ready for the second, I ask the boat operator "how deep is the next dive", and when they tell me "40 feet", I'll punch into my computer "how long can I dive at 60 feet?" and remember the answer (while still depending on the computer to tell me on the second time how much NDC time I have left).

I imagine that's the similar level I want to know about Nitrox: tell me the theory, but in practice, the computer is going to do the work. (with the key addition being I need to know the deepest allowable depth for my mix: 130 for regular air, and ?? for 32% and ?? for 36%).

If I learn that, plus what I need to know to check the mix when I do my fill, I'm happy. No particular reason I need to actually do a dive on Nitrox itself to finish the certification.

So I'm looking for "recreational" or "sport" Nitrox use, I suppose, but I like to know as much as I can. I'm definitely not a tech diver or going in that direction -- perhaps I'm a bit past "beginner". (Perhaps not though. :))

A nitrox course by any recognized agency should be just fine. I took padi nitrox some years ago and there was no computer stuff involved in my class. It was just tables and we did have to calculate equivalent air depth (EAD) and maximum operating depth (MOD) for different mixes, add up oxygen exposure for multiple dives, and plan a few dives, some using the air RDP and the EAD table and some using special EANx tables. Beside the theoretical part of the class we analyzed a few tanks. For padi the dives for this class are optional. No dives were required by my instructor.

I don't see how the PADI and SSI Nitrox course can be more hands on when you aren't required to dive on Nitrox.

With the NAUI program you learn all the things PADI and SSI teach you, but with a heavier emphasis on math and the inclusion of Tables. Learning to work your computer for Nitrox should be your responsibility (hint: read your manual). With the large amount of computers on the market, one instructor can't possibly know how to work each and every one.
The instructor should help you out and in fact since you're doing 2 repetitive dives on Nitrox, probably will for liabilities sake. You'll also get to use your computer in a real world scenario because of this.

I would go for the most knowledge personally. The math isn't hard, but it's important to understand Nitrox's limitations.

Last edited:
You could always do as I did. Find an Instructor that will do the coarse for you and get your certs from both agencies. If I remeber right it was only like 15.00 more for the extra card. You have to take both tests but they are almost all the same questions and answers.

I don't see how the PADI and SSI Nitrox course can be more hands on when you aren't required to dive on Nitrox.

With the NAUI program you learn all the things PADI and SSI teach you, but with a heavier emphasis on math and the inclusion of Tables. Learning to work your computer for Nitrox should be your responsibility (hint: read your manual). With the large amount of computers on the market, one instructor can't possibly know how to work each and every one.
The instructor should help you out and in fact since you're doing 2 repetitive dives on Nitrox, probably will for liabilities sake. You'll also get to use your computer in a real world scenario because of this.

I would go for the most knowledge personally. The math isn't hard, but it's important to understand Nitrox's limitations.

You're trained by Cecilia and Steve?

I think this diver knows what they're talking about...:cool2:

I assume a Nitrox certification by any agency is fine with all the others, and it doesn't need to be the same agency that certified you in the first place?

I believe this is the case for all non-pro certifications--ei. you could be PADI OW, NAUI AOW and go anywhere for Rescue. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

You're trained by Cecilia and Steve?

I think this diver knows what they're talking about...:cool2:

Yup, they run a great program and get a lot of support from the Santa Cruz Dive shops. =]

I assume a Nitrox certification by any agency is fine with all the others, and it doesn't need to be the same agency that certified you in the first place?

I believe this is the case for all non-pro certifications--ei. you could be PADI OW, NAUI AOW and go anywhere for Rescue. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Yup, I second that. I think that's the way it goes as well, as far as I've heard of.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom