New BP/W?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am looking at webbing now but not in a big hurry. I plan on setting up the bp/w for doubles and use my Ranger for singles.

Webbing is pretty easy.... you can do a DIY job for very cheap. 10' of webbing can be purchased for a few dollars. A weight belt buckle... cheap. Then just buy a crotch strap.

No need to add the D-rings until you need them... but even then, they are cheap.

First, thank you VERY much for taking the time to explain it. Second, with the choices you list, it is not a good thing. This means that I'll be spending lost of $$ to buy all of the choices as I want to experiment with them all :D

Not really necessary, just like PC's today it's pretty hard to beat the function and value of a packaged system. It's possible to by a tower and Motherboard etc. but you will spend more, deal with compatibility issues for little or no gain. Frankly until you build a little time you can't really evaluate all the choices.

1. Is the "single tank" adapter that would be available if I bought the "Single Tank" system at the instead of the double tank system at the beginning?

Single tank adapters are just that an Adapter. DSS and now others offer single tank systems that do not require any adapters.

2. If I bought the "single tank" system at the beginning, would I have to buy some sort of an adapter to switch to the double tank setup in addition to using a different wing?

No, doubles bolt right up to the back plate.

3. Is there a wing that can be used for both?

Classic question. First take a look at *why* divers move to a BP&W in the first place.

Less clutter, easier to achieve horizontal trim, easier to vent while horizontal, less inherent buoyancy etc.

Using a doubles wing or a "dual purpose" wing with singles will reduce or negate many of the advantages of a clean, well designed, properly sized BP&W.

Doubles wings are far wider than singles wings. That is necessary for use with doubles, but it means more drag and more difficult venting when used with a single tank.

In most cases you can use the same plate and harness with singles and doubles, but you need another ($300) wing when moving to doubles.

Now consider the cost of moving to doubles:

2 set of doubles (or more!) tanks, bands, manifolds......$1200-$2000

1 Drysuit and a couple sets of undies............. $2000-$4000

4ish deco stage bottles with rigging .................$800

Can light ............................................................$1200

5-6 regulator sets...............................................$3000

Suit bottle (argon) + reg.......................................$250

Dry gloves, gas, training, reels, spools, spare masks, pee valve, backup lights, 30-40 misc bolt snaps, etc. etc. etc.

The jump to doubles is expensive. $5000-$10000 easy.

Trying to save a few $$ now buy purchasing a dual purpose wing that isn't a good singles wing and is also very possibly the not the wing you need for doubles *either* is simply false economy.

BP&W's can be confusing, and there are lots of possible permutations, I'd be happy to walk you through the choices.

Tobin

I cant pass up a deal when I see a Back plate - I currently have two OMS SS plates and a Hollis SS Plate - All three are virtually identical in terms of size and weight.

Two are rigged - One has a "rec" webbing with breakaway points on the shoulder straps and one has continuous webbing. A selection of wings completes the configuration and allows me to dive any combination of singles and doubles.

If you are going to continue rec dive training - PADI Advanced, Rescue Diver, DiveMaster, you need a webbing harness with breakpoints in the lower shoulder straps. Away from PADI, you will likely be fine with a continuous webbing harness which is real cheap and simple.

As for wings, Deep Sea Supply and Hollis get my votes.

Dwayne

I cant pass up a deal when I see a Back plate - I currently have two OMS SS plates and a Hollis SS Plate - All three are virtually identical in terms of size and weight.

The two OMS plates are virtually identical? Who'd a thunk it? :wink:

All plates are not the same however.

Plates can differ in:

(no particular order)

Material

Length(s)

Overall shape

Over all bend

Depth of the center channel

Slot location and angle

Perimeter Holes, number, size, location

Center channel holes and slots. Number, location

Available accessories

Finish, edge radius

Unique features

Tobin

Two are rigged - One has a "rec" webbing with breakaway points on the shoulder straps and one has continuous webbing. A selection of wings completes the configuration and allows me to dive any combination of singles and doubles.

If you are going to continue rec dive training - PADI Advanced, Rescue Diver, DiveMaster, you need a webbing harness with breakpoints in the lower shoulder straps. Away from PADI, you will likely be fine with a continuous webbing harness which is real cheap and simple.
As for wings, Deep Sea Supply and Hollis get my votes.

Dwayne

Care to explain why you need a harness with break points? I see no need for them at all. A properly adjusted harness is no more difficult to use than a BC with all the buckles. What exactly is a rec harness? I used a hog harness for DM and still use one for OW classes. I even use doubles for OW checkouts with a hog harness. No difference other than students are taught that if I have an issue and they need to get me out of my rig it is very easy. Unbuckle it and if necessary slice the shoulder straps with a knife or shears. It's only a few bucks worth of webbing.

First, thank you VERY much for taking the time to explain it. Second, with the choices you list, it is not a good thing. This means that I'll be spending lost of $$ to buy all of the choices as I want to experiment with them all :D

1. Is the "single tank" adapter that would be available if I bought the "Single Tank" system at the instead of the double tank system at the beginning?

2. If I bought the "single tank" system at the beginning, would I have to buy some sort of an adapter to switch to the double tank setup in addition to using a different wing?

3. Is there a wing that can be used for both?

When you get back to the states and if we can get together for a class I'll let you use one of my setups. I have a singles and a doubles rig. If it's AOW I'll be in doubles anyway so you can use the singles setup. Might take all of 10 minutes to get it fitted to you though!:D

cool_hardware52,

Thank you for your detailed answer!!! I am in no rush to get into doubles at all now since I have no reason to do it thus far. I am content with single BIG tank.

Please forgive my ignorance but are you a manufacturer or a distributor?

When you get back to the states and if we can get together for a class I'll let you use one of my setups. I have a singles and a doubles rig. If it's AOW I'll be in doubles anyway so you can use the singles setup. Might take all of 10 minutes to get it fitted to you though!:D

You are trying to convert me, aren't you? :)

You are still a good guy, no problem. One is never too old or too proud to learn. I look forward to it.

BTW, did you get my e-mail address? Also, I forgot to ask you about the "heated lake," did you mean as artificially heated?

cool_hardware52,

Thank you for your detailed answer!!! I am in no rush to get into doubles at all now since I have no reason to do it thus far. I am content with single BIG tank.

Please forgive my ignorance but are you a manufacturer or a distributor?

I design, manufacture and sell BP&W, and other associated accessories.

www.deepseasupply.com

Tobin

You are trying to convert me, aren't you? :)

You are still a good guy, no problem. One is never too old or too proud to learn. I look forward to it.

BTW, did you get my e-mail address? Also, I forgot to ask you about the "heated lake," did you mean as artificially heated?

Got it. I am kinda of tied up today but will send the AOW outline tomorrow.
Heated by a coal fired power plant.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom