New To Bp/w, I Have Questions...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I'm leaning toward putting pockets at the waist of my harness. If you're using a weight belt, how do you arrange it with the harness? Does it sit above or below the waist of your harness?

XSScuba weight pockets are $10/ea. They aren't exactly quick-release, just basic velcro, but weight should be easy enough to ditch if you need to. Slide on any 2" webbing: tank strap, waist strap, shoulder straps. They should hold a couple of 5lb weights each I think.

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I'm leaning toward putting pockets at the waist of my harness. If you're using a weight belt, how do you arrange it with the harness? Does it sit above or below the waist of your harness?

For OW diving with no deco, your weight should be ditchable so the weightbelt goes over the crotchstrap. In emergency the belt is undone, falls away and you are ascending (or floating on the surface).

For tech diving (with required deco or overheads where a direct ascent is not advisable or possible), the belt should be worn under the crotchstrap. That way it is not possible to lose it by accidentally catching the buckle.

At the moment I am using weight belt & pockets on the harness with the weight split between both.

This may depend on personal preference. Myself have weight belt under harnes for al kind of diving. If you are weighted properly, ditching weight is only needed at surface with relatively full tank. I do have time to do a 2 step release in that situation. Losing weight unintentionally is a bigger issue IMO

Update: did some deep diving to 106ft in lake Jocassee for the first time with the harness. Put two XS trim pockets on the lower cam straps and two on the harness waist. 7mm fullsuit (no hood), single AL80 and used 10lbs of lead total. Worked like a charm and trim felt good. Thanks guys.

Last edited:
For OW diving with no deco, your weight should be ditchable so the weightbelt goes over the crotchstrap. In emergency the belt is undone, falls away and you are ascending (or floating on the surface).

For tech diving (with required deco or overheads where a direct ascent is not advisable or possible), the belt should be worn under the crotchstrap. That way it is not possible to lose it by accidentally catching the buckle.

At the moment I am using weight belt & pockets on the harness with the weight split between both.

Why should OW or tech be different? Answer- it's not.

I always wear the belt under the crotch strap whether rec or tech. If you are properly weighted there is no need to have ditchable weight at depth since you should be able to swim the rig up. In a 7 mil this is even more important if you have 30% or more of your ballast on the belt.

On the surface it takes a second to undo the waist belt and drop the weight belt. Or if really paranoid put a quick release on the crotch strap in the front. While it is possible to put the belt on over the crotch strap it is not ideal as the idea is to prevent accidental loss of the weight belt. Over the strap eliminates that safeguard. Ow divers are more at risk of rapid ascents than an experienced tech diver. If anything those are the ones who should have it under the strap.

Why should OW or tech be different? Answer- it's not.

I always wear the belt under the crotch strap whether rec or tech. If you are properly weighted there is no need to have ditchable weight at depth since you should be able to swim the rig up. In a 7 mil this is even more important if you have 30% or more of your ballast on the belt.

On the surface it takes a second to undo the waist belt and drop the weight belt. Or if really paranoid put a quick release on the crotch strap in the front. While it is possible to put the belt on over the crotch strap it is not ideal as the idea is to prevent accidental loss of the weight belt. Over the strap eliminates that safeguard. Ow divers are more at risk of rapid ascents than an experienced tech diver. If anything those are the ones who should have it under the strap.
I personally agree and that is the way I have mine (under the crotch strap of the harness) however that is not the way it is generally taught by agencies. I prefer the security of it in that configuration.

I figured I'd ask a question in this thread. What do you do with the inflator hose/k valv? Let it dangle or attach it to the shoulder strap high with a Velcro piece? Seems like it will hang low when horizontal.

I figured I'd ask a question in this thread. What do you do with the inflator hose/k valv? Let it dangle or attach it to the shoulder strap high with a Velcro piece? Seems like it will hang low when horizontal.

I use a "rubber band" made from cutting off a piece of old bicycle inner tuber. I put that on my harness webbing above the chest D-ring. I run the BC corrugated hose through that and position the rubber band where it is right at the top of my shoulder when I'm wearing the full rig.

As shown in Step 2, here:

DeepSeaSupply - Instructions

Then I have a loop of bungee cord through the same spot in the shoulder strap where the chest D-ring is.

As shown in the second step here:

Dive Gear Express® | Official Site | Dive Gear Express®

I put the LP inflator hose through the bungee, keep the corrugated hose outside the bungee and connect the inflator hose to the inflator on the corrugated hose.

This keeps the inflator from being able to come out of the bungee loop and end up floating somewhere up by my head. Not much of a concern if the inflator hose is long - but if it's setup right, the inflator hose should not be any longer than necessary - which means it just barely reaches past the chest D-ring.

Rigging it this way also means that the bungee loop only acts to put a little bit of a kink in the LP inflator hose (when using it), which doesn't matter, but not in the corrugated hose, which would make it a little harder to vent gas from your BC depending on your trim at the time.

Thanks. That's what I did just wanted to make sure. I also got an inflator hose that's just long enough to serve its purpose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom