NHL Strike

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boy it's great to be in Minnesota, I hardly notice the strike. There's so much hockey from youth to college and it's more fun to watch. The other good thing is our FSN station is going to replay old hockey games.
As for what I think should be done, don't know about the strike, but they should play 4 on 4 like the OT's last year. They wouldn't lose players because you'd need an extra line because the game would be much faster.

grunzster:
I'd rather see 5 on 5 with olympic sized ice.
An kill the 2 line pass except for offsides.

I agree but this has been discussed and the owners will never give up the seats to push out 15 feet.

Isn't it international hockey where they don't have the two-line pass and red line?

First off, compare hockey salaries to baseball salaries and these "spoiled" players are not being paid outrageous salaries.
Secondly if you were as good as these players are than you would be demanding high salaries as well. Do you think the BEST lawyers, Plastic surgeons, etc in the world are on an even keel with the rest of us? When you are that good to make it to the NHL, MLB, NBA, NFL than you deserve all you can get because with one wrong move it can be over in a blink of an eye. Also remember you can practice law up into your 60's but if you are 40 and playing hockey you are an old fart.
Thirdly the only rule that should be changed is the no touch icing. Why this rule? If they don't someone is going to get killed. All the other rules that people want to make is a bunch of horse sh#t. All the rules that have been enforced over the last 10 years should be taken off the books. Hockey has been destroyed by people thinking they are trying to make it better. Instigator rule for example. You are no longer allowed to take someone who just ran your goaltender and beat the hell out of him because you may be booted from the game. Ever since that rule took effect high sticking is at an all time high, running, falling on top of (purposely) the goaltender in attempts to hurt the goaltender. Years ago that player knew if they did something stupid like that, he would have to face a beating from the guy who was put there to do that job.

As far as someone on here saying "I went to a fight and a hockey game broke out." Boy that's old. I've heard that so long ago it just ain't funny no more. When was the last time a bench clearing brawl happen in the NHL? Now think about the MLB, NBA, and NFL? Funny how there are more brawls in those leagues than in the NHL but somehow hockey and fighting fall hand and hand.

Yes I miss hockey. I'll also miss it next year. I vowed that if they didn't work something out before the season started than I would not watch a single game the next season. We are paying the salaries and without us both sides are screwed. It's about time we take part in the outcome.
Jason

Hockeynut:
I agree but this has been discussed and the owners will never give up the seats to push out 15 feet.
Yeah, but how many teams fill all those seats every night anyway?

Kennedydive:
First off, compare hockey salaries to baseball salaries and these "spoiled" players are not being paid outrageous salaries.
Secondly if you were as good as these players are than you would be demanding high salaries as well. Do you think the BEST lawyers, Plastic surgeons, etc in the world are on an even keel with the rest of us? When you are that good to make it to the NHL, MLB, NBA, NFL than you deserve all you can get because with one wrong move it can be over in a blink of an eye. Also remember you can practice law up into your 60's but if you are 40 and playing hockey you are an old fart.
B.S. I think baseball players are the most overpaid p***ies in all professional sports. But the fact is hockey players are getting paid to play a f***ing game! The sport doesn't make as much money as other sports. Their salaries directly effect ticket prices, merchandise, etc. Ok so I'll start paying $50 for seats in the blues, $200 for a crappy replica jersey, hell lets just raise the price of everything to some insane unaffordable figure. But we'll all accept it...it's worth the money...after all we're paying for the best. That's the same reason it's nearly $10 to go see a movie now (complete rip-off). Because of spoiled overpaid actors.

Kennedydive:
We are paying the salaries and without us both sides are screwed. It's about time we take part in the outcome.
Jason
I agree, but it will never happen.

I read somewhere that the rough estimate is that it takes 70% of ticket sales in the NHL to compensate for salaries. The next closest sport is football which uses around 15-18% roughly. Also the difference in salaries between baseball/football and hockey has quite a bit to do with how many people can see the games. For instance here in Atlanta you can seat 60k people in turner field for a baseball game. My number could be a little off here for total attendance of these venues, but it still shows a point. At a NFL falcons game you can seat 80k. At a NHL Thrashers game you can seat 18.5k. I think this is where quite a bit of the problems lie, not enough seats in the venues to compensate for the salaries. I sit up in section 318. It's got a great view, on the end, and I can still call penalties with my own eyes up at that height, so it's not all that bad. Seats are normally $24 for there, but as a season ticket holder I get them for $12 a piece. Basically this is a 2 for 1 scenario on seats. This really isn't enough money when it boils down to these salaries against the amount of tickets a venue can sell. Until these salaries come down/cap, or the venues are bigger , I really don't see how the owners can make much, if any, money while trying to keep ticket prices in a reasonable range. My season ticket package went down in price after season 2 from around $750 a seat to $550 a seat and hasn't been raised. One thing I do know though is the salaries have been raised since season 2.

On another note, have you seen some of the bonuses these players get for accomplishments? I saw that Kovalchuk made 12 mil last year because he hit all of his accomplishment bonuses. I think the salaries should be a tad bit smaller, more accomplishment bonuses, a cap, bigger venues, and a determined amount of the percentage of the gate. The diver who is a NYR fan will appreciate the accomplishments bonus. Wait till the washed up super-star performs again before paying him big money, heh. This in the longer run could make players more money while having to take a small pay cut initially. These owners just aren't making money, and the whole orginization as it stands is likely to fold. I hate to side with the owners here, but something does apparently have to give. I have heard that it is in the owner's contacts that they can close down the league and open under a new entity after a certain amount of time of not being able to meet an agreement with the NHLPA. Might be looking at a new league.

All this lockout is going to do is damage hockey. Viewing had already began to decline in the states, and most of the lower southern states had finally just developed a following. I could see where many of the smaller franchises that were just beginning to blossom could end up folding in the long run. What brought baseball fans back after a long hiatus after it's lockout was the home run race. I don't see hockey having a home run race to bring casual fans back to the game. I for one am a diehard fan that grew up in Chicago and now live outside of Atlanta. I will still go to the games, but I assume the stadium will be really empty. Canada and Northern US states won't have problems getting the fans back into place, but down in the south here it might another uphill struggle where franchies fold in the longer run due to the lockout.

Sadly enough I have turned my attention back to football now.
I miss hockey, but could live without it if I had to.

Matt

I agree I said the some thing in an earlier post. The salaries should be just like in the REAL WORLD. You produce, you get the fat bonuses. You don't, you get nothing!

Can you say Holik, Lindros, Kaspiritius?

I remember reading somewhere a while back, long before this lockout, that viewing had been dropping since after the Devil's first cup in 95.

I don’t necessarily disagree with performance issues but it is hard to feel sorry for the owners. They are equally responsible for the high sallies. If they didn't offer the money to bring the big name players into the place than there would be a demand for them. They are the ones who agree to the contract. If they are loosing money because they brought in 5 big names with big contracts to win the cup and then fell flat on their face then that is their problem. If the owners want to get together and say no one sign (insert your favorite big name player here) unless he is willing to sign for 5 million a year than that's up to them. It's not a cap. You just sign the players within your means. But they won't because they don't want the next guy to get the player that they can't afford and then whine about it later.
Jason

I don't feel bad for them either, but let's make this analogy.

A few years back, you know when this thing we're using to talk about this lock out right now (the internet) was in the middle of a huge growth spurt.

Everyone and their grandma was putting up a website. Salaries were ridiculously high, anyone who knew so much as some HTML was getting the rock star treatment.

Then the bubble burst, companies started losing money or folding altogether. And what happened? That's right a lot of those salaries came way down. I know a few people who are making much less than they did a few years ago. It sucks...but they accept the fact that the money isn't there like it was a few years ago.

Sort of the same thing as the NHL. Except the players are idiots, with a twisted view of reality, who don't get the simple fact that teams can't afford their inflated salaries.

As much as I love the game in a strange way I'd almost like to see the league collapse. Then maybe these morons would understand. Then they'd all have to go find real job. Then maybe professional athletes in other sports would finally understand that the well does have a bottom!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom