old regulators still being used ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dove Dacor pacer and Aero for many years until i couldnt get it rebuilt. My father still dives a sherwood blizzard from around 1977...

"In the 60s you could buy SCUBA gear in a lot of different places .... there was J.C. Pennys, Sears, M. Wards and several "surf" shops that offered gear. I remember seeing Healthways gear in a Woolco Dept. Store in Pasadena Texas ..... no c-card required, just CASH !"

Yeah, most of my first gear came from Montgomery Wards, the local feed store and K Mart. I also got stuff at Pennys and gear was sold commonly at all sorts of beach shops. The feed store let me buy a Calypso on time paying with my lawn mowing money--try that with your local LDS.

I see the internet sales as perhaps a return to simplier times.

I wish the big sports stores like Bass Pro and Cabellas and Sportsman's Wearhouse and Gander would sell gear. N

Central was the mail order company, that advertised in skin diver, with the low prices. The precursor to internet sales.

Central Skin Divers in Jamaca NY if I remember correctly. Also Barry used to be big in mail order.

So if I am understanding you double hosers correctly, the newly discontinued AL Mistral is not good and should be passed on?

ams511:
So if I am understanding you double hosers correctly, the newly discontinued AL Mistral is not good and should be passed on?
Aqualungs' new mistral was not a big hit with vintage doublehose divers. I have proprosed a new version of a Dacor design that would use modern materials and new technology to Phil Mintz. This "special" model would look like a traditional doublehose regulator but be able to handle the higher pressures and provide additional LP and HP ports for accessories.

The new Mistral did not catch on well. It did not have a classic look, used rebreather hoses which were too bouyant, forcing those who did not like floaty hoses to put weights on them. What troubles me is that other manufacturers may be reluctant to market a more classic double-hose that is both functions and is designed like earlier models, but built with better materials such as silicon hoses and diaphrams as a result of the Mistral not selling well. Kudos to the guys like Luis and www.vintagedoublehose.com and www.vintagescubasupply.com that make parts available to keep the old classics alive, or make a better mousetrap.

ams511:

Aqua Lung already discontinued the new Mistral and they are totally sold out. You may still find them on some LDS at a very discounted price.

If you can get one for under $300, it could be worth wile since it could be the last we will see them.

The last ones went so cheap, I actually bought one to use the first stage (same as a Titan) and the mouthpiece. I also plan to experiment with the second stage.

I personally prefer any Royal Aqua Master. With the new reproduction silicon diaphragms (from VDH) they can be the best breathing regulator. With the new reproduction band clamp they are real easy to open and service. And with the conversion Phoenix first stage you will get LP and HP ports, a replaceable volcano orifice and a heavy duty high pressure yoke.

Aqualung has in fact discontinued the "new" Mistral so if you want one, you'll need to see if you can still find one on a dealers shelf.

It was in m opinion pretty poorly conceived with a Titan first stage and a hose connecting it to a cheap looking second stage supporting the double hoses.

As indicated by the poster above, I also fear the lack of success will send the wrong message to the scuba industry. There is a market for a well designed single hose regulator with adequate LP ports that is sold at a reasonable price. The Mistral was odd looking with cheap largely off the shelf parts and was badly over priced - 3 nails in the coffin before it ever hit the water.

One additional factor working against a new double hose reg is the growing number of vintage double hose regs being put back into service. You can buy one fully refurbished and ready to dive for $300-$450 and can sometimes do much better if you find a good example on e-bay, at a rummage sale or in the back room of the LDS. Most of the normally required parts for the more common models and clones of those models are available either new old stock, refurbished, or reproduction form.

That tends to set an upper limit on what a company can demand for a new double hose regulator - even more so now if things like the Phoenix conversion continue to be available where you could have a vintage double hose reg upgraded with modern LP and HP ports for around $550-$600.

On the other hand, as more HP and LP port equipped double hose regs begin to be encountered and as they gain more mainstream acceptance, the demand for them will grow and will eventually outstrip the limited supply. At that point the market will then again offer enough potential to perhaps entice a manufacturer to market a new double hose reg or a suitably upgraded version of a vintage design.

My primary reg has been a Sherwood Magnum Blizzard that I bought in the early 80's. I still use it under the ice and on a dive to my favorite wreck @ 160'. My back up is an MR12. I think it is time for a new set as I am pushing my luck...

Back
Top Bottom