Open letter to boat dive masters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is a open non confrontational letter to dive masters that we will encounter on dive boats for non instructional boat ride to the site encounter

dear divemaster

When I am geared up waiting to leave the boat and you reach toward my gear and I say no thank you I have it, please don't do that, please don't touch my gear . I really mean it . Please don't take it upon your self to continue to adjust my gear turn my tank valve ect . It will not only irritate me but it will negatively affect your tip if you don't immediately retract your hand.

sincerely
the diver from this weekend that appeared to have forgotten to tip you at the end of the trip

I think that Herb's OP has evolved into an entirely different subject other should a DM touch a diver's gear or not after being asked not to.

Herb’s OP was not whether a DM should or should not touch a diver’s equipment to check for gas, but respect the diver’s request not to when the diver plainly communicated this. Herb clearly stated that he "Told the DM NOT to touch his gear" and the DM continued to disregard Herb's request. From my point of view the DM overstepped their boundaries. The DM could have verified whether Herb's gas was turned on or not through more tactful means other than the "touchy-feely" means.

IMO the primary distinction between a good DM and a functional DM is the Functional Divemaster follows orders no matter what, he knows what to do (pass a course and read the book) but does not understand the why, when or how behind the task; and a Good Divemaster understands the why, the how, the when and the where behind their tasks. The Good DM will use tact, patience and good customer & situational awareness when performing their tasks in compliance with their dive operator’s policies. "One size does not fit every situation." Not everyone has been taught to critically think for themselves and require, if not desire, step-by-step instructions. Too many times leaders issues the ”one-fits-all” instructions to helpers who know (or fear for their job) only that "one-fits-all" method(s). I understand a Dive Operator’s responsibility to run a safe dive trip. There can be a safe balance between the dive operations’ responsibilities for the inexperienced diver and the experienced diver…and it starts with dialog.

That is my 2¢…to Herb’s OP.

No problem. The DM, Captain, Mate etc.. can simply ask to watch your SPG while you take 3 full breaths. They can confirm your air supply while at the same time not touching your gear.

It's a process I learned here -wish I could remember the original poster to give due credit- but I remember reading a post that mentioned something along the lines of "The 3 Breaths Of Life" while watching your SPG to confirm air is on. It seemed to make sense so I've followed it since.

3 DEEP breaths cost me 10-15psi.. If my air is off or partially closed, the SPG will show a DRASTIC drop in psi. Try it.

Thanks to whoever you are for teaching me such a simple and (what seems to be) foolproof method to confirm adequate air supply.

I have only read the first seven pages of this discussion(could not take it any longer) but here are my thoughts. I'm glad I live in the NE where dive charter operators treat you like a competent diver until you prove that you are not. We have deck hands not dive masters and that is just how I like it. The captain or deck hand will help you get into your rig if it looks like you need help, hook up stage bottles if it looks like you need help, fix your mask if your hood is stuck under it, they will help you to the back of the boat in rough seas. The point is they will help when needed but will stay away when not needed, They seam to have an uncanny sense of when help is needed and not. We have no DM lead dives around here unless you bring your own DM on the boat with you, is this much different than other parts of the world? The whole liability thing with the DM turning on divers valves seams to be a lot of bunk to me. The way I see it is a dive OP would have more liability if a DM screwed up and turned a valve off than if they did nothing at all.

I have only read the first seven pages of this discussion(could not take it any longer) but here are my thoughts. I'm glad I live in the NE where dive charter operators treat you like a competent diver until you prove that you are not. We have deck hands not dive masters and that is just how I like it. The captain or deck hand will help you get into your rig if it looks like you need help, hook up stage bottles if it looks like you need help, fix your mask if your hood is stuck under it, they will help you to the back of the boat in rough seas. The point is they will help when needed but will stay away when not needed, They seam to have an uncanny sense of when help is needed and not. We have no DM lead dives around here unless you bring your own DM on the boat with you, is this much different than other parts of the world? The whole liability thing with the DM turning on divers valves seams to be a lot of bunk to me. The way I see it is a dive OP would have more liability if a DM screwed up and turned a valve off than if they did nothing at all.

It is pretty much the same with our op here in Nova Scotia. I think this gets along the lines of the "vacation divers" of the tropics vs. the "diver" divers north of there discussion. I haven't seen a truly incompetent diver yet on our charter, but this seems to be the case all over down there (from what I read on SB and having seen 2 bad ones out of the 4 I was in a group with). So I guess the DMs down there check air and lead dives for that reason. I also can't really recall a DM checking my air on the boats I've been on in FL, SC, MS or TX.

Silly question, but does no one take two or three good hits off their reg before they hit the water?

Silly question, but does no one take two or three good hits off their reg before they hit the water?

This really seems under valued. It could be the non-contact safety check that helps the most anyways since it ensures at least one regulator, spg/ computer is working and the air is turned on.

In the same token though maybe physical contact is unneeded, as stated by some but to deny a DM any reasonable request to keep you safe is dumb. Not only is it their job (to which they're evaluated for) to keep you safe, but they have to worry about the consequences of not doing their job such as hauling your dead, unresponsive ass out of the water and dealing with the lawsuit that follows. These days people are too willing to sue even when they know the situation and how wrong it was. People see an opportunity for financial gain no matter how dumb someone was being and they take it. For this, you can't help but blame a DM for wanting to not risk this.

Diving can be life and death, why not put up with a stubborn DM to make sure you don't sink without the ability to breathe? As it is they don't make you do weight checks which probably accounts for a hefty amount of accidents by people and over weighting (that and diving in without a BCD partially inflated and rocketing towards the earths core [on dives where this is not the 'plan']). Over confident divers are probably the most likely to have something wrong happen because they think they don't need help. As someone who works in retail I can say you can't judge the intelligence or competence based on the way someone looks. A good portion of society is dumb, for the 1 life it saves- why not be careful.

snip...I can say you can't judge the intelligence or competence based on the way someone looks. A good portion of society is dumb, for the 1 life it saves- why not be careful.

never on an ice dive, it would most likely freeze up the reg and cause it to free flow.

If I see someone ice diving, I feel completely justified in judging their intelligence. :D

to deny a DM any reasonable request to keep you safe is dumb

to allow a DM to mess up your setup is also dumb. Why do you assume that the DM won't make a mistake?

---------- Post added February 13th, 2013 at 03:21 PM ----------

If I see someone ice diving, I feel completely justified in judging their intelligence. :D

unfortunately, my choices for the past two months and the next two weeks are the pool, or ice diving...in two weeks, I will be in a nice, warm cenote and will be sure to breathe my reg before descending :)

to allow a DM to mess up your setup is also dumb. Why do you assume that the DM won't make a mistake?
I believe you even quoted the part where I said reasonable. There's a difference to them pretending to be mommy getting you dressed and making sure your equipment functions so that you can have a bit of fun. We're all human and make mistakes, that's why having someone do a check before you risk your life unreasonably is just a good practice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom