oxycheq mach V questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have anyone of you Mach V users had problems with your inflator? Think I bought mine in April, and in July I had to take it apart and clean it. Same thing yesterday. The inflator button gets stuck in open position due to verdigris. Yes, I rinse it after dives. Yes, I've lubricated it after cleaning.

Have anyone of you Mach V users had problems with your inflator? Think I bought mine in April, and in July I had to take it apart and clean it. Same thing yesterday. The inflator button gets stuck in open position due to verdigris. Yes, I rinse it after dives. Yes, I've lubricated it after cleaning.

...I'm using 3 Oxy Extreme wings.....I also use or have used inflators from Oxy/Deepoutdoors/Diverite/Trident......they are all pretty generic units and I can't really tell much difference between them......I believe Halcyon used to make stainless steel inflators but they had a big recall on them a while back and I forget if they ceased production on the stainless steel ones...or if they fixed the 'issues' and Halcyon has put them back on the market for sale again.......anyway, it's been my experience that generally inflators are a 'consumable' item that aren't really expected to last that long, due to the factors you describe (corrosion).....I've been told, and have also read here on SB, that some people just throw them away and replace them on a regular basis (like annually) as the consequences of a failure (like stuck open) are serious.....I've inquired about the cost of a rebuild, and the cost of the replacement parts plus labor is the same as just swapping everything out for a new unit, although it might make more sense cost-wise if you can do the labor yourself. I don't bother lubricating mine...I just rinse and dry....and replace if I think they're showing signs of trouble....I also always carry a spare entire inflator assembly (power inflator and corrugated hose) in my box of spares when I go on a dive trip.

...I'm using 3 Oxy Extreme wings.....I also use or have used inflators from Oxy/Deepoutdoors/Diverite/Trident......they are all pretty generic units and I can't really tell much difference between them......I believe Halcyon used to make stainless steel inflators but they had a big recall on them a while back and I forget if they ceased production on the stainless steel ones...or if they fixed the 'issues' and Halcyon has put them back on the market for sale again.......anyway, it's been my experience that generally inflators are a 'consumable' item that aren't really expected to last that long, due to the factors you describe (corrosion).....I've been told, and have also read here on SB, that some people just throw them away and replace them on a regular basis (like annually) as the consequences of a failure (like stuck open) are serious.....I've inquired about the cost of a rebuild, and the cost of the replacement parts plus labor is the same as just swapping everything out for a new unit, although it might make more sense cost-wise if you can do the labor yourself. I don't bother lubricating mine...I just rinse and dry....and replace if I think they're showing signs of trouble....I also always carry a spare entire inflator assembly (power inflator and corrugated hose) in my box of spares when I go on a dive trip.

Spare inflator, and especially corrugated hose, is definitively a good tip for the spare parts collection.

The reason I'm asking, is that I've never experienced this problem with SeaQuest inflators, which we use for school equipment, or with other wings I've had.

Anyway, It's nice, shiny and well lubricated again. We'll see how long it stays that way.

I replace systematically the generic inflator of my wings (Oxycheq for that matters) by Scubapro inflators. They're sleek, efficient, very easy to service, and reliable. I service them (= dismounting, cleaning, a bit of grease and reassembling) every 150 dives or so. Never experienced any problem other than minor leaks signaling it's time for service.

Not to mean the generic inflators are bad, simply I'm used to SP inflators and happy with them.

BTW some wings (not Oxycheq) or other BCDs have a corrugated hose that's too long, hence it's more likely the inflator touches the bottom and gets stuck with sand during OW course sessions. This happens quite often with students and rental equipment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom