plastic backplates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I keep thinking how much it'd cost to 3D-print one. Some of the filaments sound like they might be tough enough.

I bought a DSS kydex bp/w from Tobin about 3 months ago. It's perfect for my steel hp 100's at home as well as a great travel bp/w. I used it in Cozumel about 6 weeks ago and even experienced a bit of dm envy a time or two as they checked out my DSS bp/w. I highly recommend it.

Last edited:
I bought a DSS kydex bp from Tobin about 3 months ago. It's perfect for my steel hp 100's at home as well as a great travel bp. I used it in Cozumel about 6 weeks ago when I went to Cozumel and even experienced a bit of dm envy a time or two as they checked out my DSS bpw. I highly recommend it.
Yeah I experienced a lot of that dm envy wrt my DSS BP/W when we were in Coz.

Switching up some gear for light weight travel (have a trip coming up in a couple of months). I'm in the market for a plastic backplate as even with my aluminum plate I'm overweighted with a single tank if I'm just in a rash guard/bathing suit. I know Tobin makes a kick ass kydex plate. I thought some other companies made some plastic stand alone plates however I'm having trouble finding any on their websites (I thought Dive Rite used to make one but I can only find steel plates to buy by themselves on their website now). Is the DSS plate really the only option?

Just saw this:

BP1-1 - IST Sports

I would go for the DSS kydex and then try to save weight by using lightweight webbing and (gulp) plastic hardware if you are really desperate to save ounces. There are also some somewhat lighter metal options; there's a cheap metal buckle from the trident catalog that's smaller and lighter than the heavy-duty DSS one, you can probably find smaller gauge D rings and use plastic keepers. The hardware and webbing adds up in terms of weight. For sure go for plastic buckles on the cam bands.

If you want to save weight on a buckle, I have been using these XS Scuba glass-filled nylon buckles for a year+ now. They are great. It does use a 316 stainless steel hinge pin. I have one each on all 3 of my BP rigs plus one on my weight belt.

$12 from LeisurePro:
XS Scuba Clear-Path Buckle

A number of ABS plates have been offered in the past. The fundamental problem with all of them was cracking. Straight ABS (vs impact modified ABS) can be brittle, more so if it isn't stress relieved after molding or forming. Add to that the loads imposed by wing nuts and washers bearing directly on the plastic in the center channel.

The propensity for ABS plates to crack has lead some tech instructors to ban their use in their courses.

I have been using an old Dive Rite ABS plate for about 20 years. I use it with various sets of doubles... 80s, 98s, 130s, all steel. I also use it in frigid water and I use it a lot.

I understand the potential risk of ABS breaking, but based on my experience, it's not really an issue at all...

Back
Top Bottom