Showing Your Logbook

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SwimJim:
I've offered my log books in the past. When they hear I dive Lake Michigan and see my well worn kit they laugh and tell me I'm nothing to worry about.

jim

Yeah, that's what usually happens with me. & the fact that not a single piece of gear matches color-wise. But, in the two instances I referred to, they checked everyone's log book. No exceptions.

Paula

I agree with the fact that you can tell what kind of diver they are just by the way they suit up. I can imagine the DM is checking out everyones stuff as they load. Is it a little skuffed from wear? Do they have everything in its place and they suit up in an economical way. Or are they all over the place taking up 3 peoples places. New everything, etc,etc. If that was the case and it was anything more than a checkout dive they would probably ask for Logs.
And all of my gear except my wetsuit is yellow. Just because I like yellow.
My .02 for what it is worth.

My logbook travels with me but no one has asked to see it. No one signs it except for "milestone" dives either. My gear is a mixed set and while well taken care of, is a little "lived in".

If the charter captain wants to look at my logbook, all the more power to him. I have no objections.

I have heard of cases of instructors from places like Brazil (who could set-up their gear) being denied access to wrecks like the Arabia because they had never dove cold water before. So for the most part, the prevailing opinion is correct, but that would be one case where someone that looked competent might not be ideal for that kind of diving.

I have been asked for my log book on a few occasions, always in the United States. Never a problem, I always have at least the last 50 dives in the binder.

Sometimes it's the guys with the old gear that look the part that can be the problem when they haven't been in the water for a long time. Thats one of the main reasons to check a log book, see when the person was last diving. They may have a few hundred dives under their belt, but a little rusty cause the last dive was 2 years ago.

I think an operation that checks log books is one that can be better prepared to assist the diver, thier client.

glbirch:
That one's been discussed a few times. I suppose you could fake up a log book if you really felt the need and had the time, but you can't fake the skills. By the time someone's kitted up and hitting the water, you've usually already got a pretty good clue about whether they should be there or not.

Very well said, thank you very much! :wink:

only been asked fer a log at Tobermory to dive the Arabia. I knew this ahead of time and also what they were looking for - deep cold water experience.

It seems to be kinda late to be checking logs after the charter is booked and you 've spent the time travelling to the boat.

On my Black Beards trip. They took my C-card. And asked me some questions while I was filling out the OK to Die and not Sue you forms.

Blackbeards divemaster

What was your last dive.

Me

In 32 degree water. In Mississippi River. On Surface Supply. With High Current. 80lbs of lead to get me to the bottom and Keep me there. 25feet of water. Looking for a Dead Body.

Blackbeards divemaster.

:11: That's more then I wanted to know. You're fine....

Yes, from time to time, folks will ask to see your log. It doesn't happen often but when it does I'm usually impressed - it means that they're willing to lose the business rather than take an underqualified diver along and that's a good thing.

I've needed my log for the Bonne Terre folks plus operators in the Keys, Hawaii, Bonaire, Tobermorey and several training agencies. Nobody has ever beefed about occasionally brief entries (rarely signed by anyone, for instance) or water-stained pages. They're looking for different things - how many dives recently, how many dives in similar conditions, how many dives, what cool places have I been, etc. So long as you don't take it personally, it's a nice way to start a conversation and put everyone at ease.

I always have my log with me when I'm diving. In addition to my log entries, it contains emergency information plus copies of certification cards and travel documents in case the originals go astray.

...at Divers Den in Tobermory, she was quite specific that she wanted to see C cards and log books from both Dave and I before we get on the a charter from her shop. She was concerned both about level of training and how often we dived. She specifically told me to bring my logbook to the shop when we arrived in Tobermory. I can't fault her for being careful, the liability insurance has to be expensive...

frankenmuth_tom:
...at Divers Den in Tobermory, she was quite specific that she wanted to see C cards and log books from both Dave and I before we get on the a charter from her shop. She was concerned both about level of training and how often we dived. She specifically told me to bring my logbook to the shop when we arrived in Tobermory. I can't fault her for being careful, the liability insurance has to be expensive...
Having dove with "Little Devil's" Divers Den I will verify all of the above. Also, the rate of serious injuries on the Arabia and Forest City is just too high for them not be concerned. Nobody wants to lose divers. It's terrible for repeat business. :11:

Back
Top Bottom