Single tank backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Magnus Lundstedt

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, I am looking for a single tank backplate.

I have today an AGIR SS Backplate with a STA and it works nice, but its a little to heavy for me diving in thin wet suit so i am looking around for something a little lighter for traveling. Around 1,5-2,5 kg should probably be good, the plate i use today weight 2,8kg and maybe 1-1,5 for the STA. And i am just little negative without weights.

Also i feel that with the standard plate, made for doubles, and an STA the tank come little to far away from my back, I wast thinking if there was some BP designed for single tank only.

I know about the Freedom plate, i Would love to have one, but it is maybe little to expensive, I like to know if there are any other plate that is designed for single tank use.

there are dog bone plates from xs scuba/highland or custom divers, you could also just use an aluminum plate, a soft backplate from apeks/oxycheq/mares, or the dive rite lite SS plate.

search for oxycheq "dogbone"

search for oxycheq "dogbone"

It look like a nice BP, but it is still a doubles BP with the ridge along my spine that moves the tank to far from my back.

Is there not any BP with 2 ridges, one on each side of the middle?

BTW -neither I suggested use a STA, so they are closest to your back....

Here (don't let the name fool you....)

Store | Vintage Double Hose

Judging from the pictures it looks like by having two tank bands the single tank will be aligned properly without having to add a "single-tank adaptor." I agree with OP and also do not want my tank further away from my back. Currently I am using two strips of rubber that the tank fits in-between but it takes a little extra attention when clamping down the tank band to make sure it is properly aligned. I am thinking of making an adaptor from some U-Channel aluminum (with insulators to prevent electrolysis) that will probably be about 1 1/4" wide and 1/2" tall, just high enough to cradle the tank and keep it aligned properly, without moving it away from the backplate an appreciable amount. Heck, I may end up just using some 1 1/4" PVC pipe and cut it to fit. I would prefer to only use one tank band.

@Magnus Lundstedt

I would strongly suggest that you ex[pore the back pack offered by vintage double hose.

It is a modern copy -almost an exact copy -- a slightly updated version-- of the 1960s Sea Craft back pack (as back plates were formerly known )

It was offered in three different configurations for a singe tank, a double tank and a triple tank. I used the double configuration for 40 or mire years in the double configuration to contain the US Divers 44s.

After I purchased my first one I made three more abd a number of smaller ones for my children as they were growing

If interested I can refer to my catalogs and provide the singe tank dimensions and can obtain a hunk of sheeting, a drill and a file and make your own as was done in the genesis of diving -- not official looking but certainly functionable

Cheers from a very sunny and warm CenCal -- were it all began

Sam Miller , 111

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom