Single tank backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lol, must have been typing when you added you post.
Rather unlikely. My post is timestamped 12:31 CEST, yours is timestamped ~15.55 CEST

I use a Golem Gear reverse-profile Stream dogbone plate with a small wing and a 1-piece harness as a travel BC. XS Scuba weight pouch threaded on the upper cam band holds one weight. Awesome BC.

I use the VDH plate others have mentioned. I would add that it is very light for travel (I use cam band weight pockets to weight and trim it once I arrive). Also, I have a HOG 32# wing. The HOG wing has rubber ridges along the vertical sides of the "donut" in the wing that actually catch and stabilize the tank. With 2 cam bands, the tank is solid as a rock even though the plate is flat and has no STA.

Also, you say you are on a budget, so the VDH plate is by far the best option.

For local diving, I use the Halcyon SS plate. But, as I dive single tank, I am looking for options as well. I am (I hope) on the waiting list for a Freedom Contour . . . .

The SS plates we use, like others, are a std. plate for double. But we use it for singles sans a STA. With two straps the cylinder does not wobble and is quite secure. SS plates are heavy for travel but switching to something else would only reduce the weight by 4 lbs (2 kg) at best. 8 lbs for both of us. In the big scheme of things that is in the noise when we travel. Plus we would then have to add another pocket for the weight. As it is now two pockets with 2-4 lbs each (suit dependent). But we did shave off a pound with our travel Ti regs.

So for the OP, ditch the STA and see how your rig dives. I bet you will not notice much of a difference.

Shortly after saying (in this thread) that I prefer a single tank band, and figuring out exactly what size U-Channel I would need to make a STA, I scrounged up a second tank strap and I think I'll stick with that for now. Much of my motivation for using a single strap is to reduce what's going in my carry-on, however I found a way to eliminate the backplate and harness from my luggage altogether so I'll see how that goes on my next trip :) A big part of my decision is based upon the fact that I can now lace a tank strap without having to look up the instructions :wink:

The two tank-straps hold the tank very securely and properly aligned.

I use the VDH plate others have mentioned. I would add that it is very light for travel (I use cam band weight pockets to weight and trim it once I arrive). Also, I have a HOG 32# wing. The HOG wing has rubber ridges along the vertical sides of the "donut" in the wing that actually catch and stabilize the tank. With 2 cam bands, the tank is solid as a rock even though the plate is flat and has no STA.

Also, you say you are on a budget, so the VDH plate is by far the best option.

For local diving, I use the Halcyon SS plate. But, as I dive single tank, I am looking for options as well. I am (I hope) on the waiting list for a Freedom Contour . . . .
You’re on the list.
How tall and what material?

The SS plates we use, like others, are a std. plate for double. But we use it for singles sans a STA. With two straps the cylinder does not wobble and is quite secure. SS plates are heavy for travel but switching to something else would only reduce the weight by 4 lbs (2 kg) at best. 8 lbs for both of us. In the big scheme of things that is in the noise when we travel. Plus we would then have to add another pocket for the weight. As it is now two pockets with 2-4 lbs each (suit dependent). But we did shave off a pound with our travel Ti regs.

So for the OP, ditch the STA and see how your rig dives. I bet you will not notice much of a difference.

If i ditch the STA I need to cut slots in the plate, the one i have does not have any slots for bands. And its the same with my wing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom