So What Is Everyone Doing To Pass Time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

.......and its always those with TDS who take it political. You are very ignorant on this topic and are best to keep your incorrect thoughts to yourself. Spend a day or two in the Security industry before spouting off. I spend every day there.

Mod's feel free to clean up this stuff, including my quite necessary response to this ignorance.
TDS, not only do I have that, but also FNDS! Just turn on Fox News and within 5 minutes, I'll be yelling at the TV! o_O

Do you understand how patents work? I have two patents in my name. One is a joke as my employer paid me money. The first one was really valuable and the first to solve a significant problem in Windows drivers. Microsoft's KMDF infrastructure violates it, but Microsoft is also a big customer of my former employer who owned that patent. They since sold for a six figure some my invention, and the CTO of my employer told me it is quite rare to monetize in the US a patent for that amount of money.

When I was at Intel in the 90s, there were countless lawsuits between AMD and Intel where the defendant would counter sue, resulting in a cross license agreement in the end. That was the only way.

But what Huawei did to Cisco (and others) was/is outright theft of IP.

I worked on the Bitlocker feature of Windows Vista. We had someone from the NSA and GHCQ on the team to ensure there were no backdoors. When the FBI met with our product unit manager, they requested a back door to which the answer was no. Was/is Bitlocker completely secure? No, there are some interesting attacks.

My brother is an ex-compiler guy at Microsoft. Today he consults a bit with Polyverse. There are some weird attacks done by nation-states that pretty much defeat everything known, including TPMs. All over my head. Fortunately, the average identity thief, even organized crime, doesn't have the resources of nations.

Mods: maybe part of this discussion belongs in the pub?

My cell company gave me a Huawei pad last time that I was in to the store for my phone.
I'm not clear on why Huawei is such an over all threat but right now, I'm wondering if I should use the Huawei device or not.
Please advise me and talk to me like I'm 5 cuz when it comes to this tech stuff, I'm behind!

My cell company gave me a Huawei pad last time that I was in to the store for my phone.
I'm not clear on why Huawei is such an over all threat but right now, I'm wondering if I should use the Huawei device or not.
Please advise me and talk to me like I'm 5 cuz when it comes to this tech stuff, I'm behind!
Are you in the government with access to classified information or working for a company with IP? If yes to either, then definitely do not use it. If you are not, then it depends on whether you care about your private information being collected by the Chinese government (nevermind the fact that we give it away to so many tech companies already).

I don't do my banking on my cellphone. And it's not a Huawei.

TL;DR: almost 10 years ago
- Snowden leaked NSA internal memos about them spying on everyone incl. US allies, installing backdoors, and all this other horrible stuff that an intelligence agency would never ever do. Several scandals broke incl. (alleged) deliberate weakening of encryption mechanisms.
- Many important customers went looking for non-US-branded devices.
- Huawei publicly stated that they were never ever asked by any party, government or private, to install any spying capabilities in their kit.
- And the fireworks started.

On a more practical side, variants of the Mirai botnet are known to infect both Huawei and Cisco (or at least "Linksys by Cisco") devices, via factory-default credentials. (As I alluded to earlier.)

PS as Kosta said above, everybody and their dog's collecting our private information anyway. How much do you care if the Queen of Naboo does too? Or God-Emperor of China?

- Huawei publicly stated that they were never ever asked by any party, government or private, to install any spying capabilities in their kit.

If you believe that I have a bridge to sell you. You can not be a major corporation in China without key members of your corporation being members of the Chinese Communist Party, and bringing in party minders into your senior leadership councils.

The smaller companies are below the notice of the CCP, but any corporations with any international clout can effectively be arms of the CCP.

And yes the NSA has black bagged IT equipment leaving the country, but so far they've been unable to effectively place back doors in devices released to the general public in the US unless the company's themselves agree to it, and most don't.

everybody and their dog's collecting our private information anyway.
Negative ghostrider! We will never sell your info.

Negative ghostrider! We will never sell your info.

How about the ads: are you sure the ad trackers do not send the IP addresses of those looking to someone's server? You are not selling but google's still collecting.

If you believe that I have a bridge to sell you.

I didn't say I believe it, I said "the fireworks started".

And yes the NSA has black bagged IT equipment leaving the country, but so far they've been unable to effectively place back doors in devices released to the general public in the US unless the company's themselves agree to it, and most don't.

:daydream:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom