Tanks

Which tank do you prefer

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anybody else own a Heiser 190 (90 lbs empty) I doubled them up so that I could do squats in my garage! (im kidding) Wouldnt that be funny though, talk about sink to the bottom. Do they even sell 200 lb lift wings? wow

Brand spanking new X7 HP100. Got a good deal at Sports Chalet and with an additional discount got it for around $325; which included Vis and full fill to 34XX.

My other cylinder is a very used AL80 (Catalina) which works just fine in the local lake.

I am considering maybe a HP120. I don't do many dive boats and one of two LDSs can fill the HP.

I wanted to buy a couple of HP120s, but instead got a GREAT deal on HP100s. LOVE THEM! Same size as the AL80s but with more air & better buoyancy characterisics. (I was able to drop 14 pounds since switching over to HP100s ) I can make some good looong dives now! Lot of time for taking pix.This past weekend I logged 6 1/2 hours of BT in 4 dives.

I wanted to buy a couple of HP120s, but instead got a GREAT deal on HP100s. LOVE THEM! Same size as the AL80s but with more air & better buoyancy characterisics. (I was able to drop 14 pounds since switching over to HP100s ) I can make some good looong dives now! Lot of time for taking pix.This past weekend I logged 6 1/2 hours of BT in 4 dives.

We can assume steel 100's right?

Aluminum tanks are not considered HP, so yes.

So a Catalina 3300PSI 100 is not a HP tank but Worthington 3442 130 is?

Amazing what 142 PSI can do :D

So a Catalina 3300PSI 100 is not a HP tank but Worthington 3442 130 is?

Amazing what 142 PSI can do :D

Actually, I've heard the 3300 psi tanks referred to as "mid pressure". Faber makes a couple also, unless I'm remembering incorrectly (out of steel, of course).

And technically, 3442 is not high pressure. Many consider them to be "psuedo high pressure". High pressure technically starts at 3500 psi and mandates a DIN valve (and a different neck thread, I think). "True" HP tanks haven't been actively marketed by the big tank vendors in a while, because rating them just under the true HP cutoff lets them do fun things like offer convertible DIN/Yoke valves and such. PSI and Worthington chose 3442, as did the Faber FX series... Faber made a couple of other tanks that also skirt the rules and measure out at 3998 psi... these may have started the trend, but I can't recall the details offhand.

Of course, there are also some old timers who consider anything over 2400 psi to be "high pressure". LOL

Actually, I've heard the 3300 psi tanks referred to as "mid pressure". Faber makes a couple also, unless I'm remembering incorrectly (out of steel, of course).

And technically, 3442 is not high pressure. Many consider them to be "psuedo high pressure". High pressure technically starts at 3500 psi and mandates a DIN valve (and a different neck thread, I think). "True" HP tanks haven't been actively marketed by the big tank vendors in a while, because rating them just under the true HP cutoff lets them do fun things like offer convertible DIN/Yoke valves and such. PSI and Worthington chose 3442, as did the Faber FX series... Faber made a couple of other tanks that also skirt the rules and measure out at 3998 psi... these may have started the trend, but I can't recall the details offhand.

Of course, there are also some old timers who consider anything over 2400 psi to be "high pressure". LOL

Low (2400 to 2640PSI), Standard (3000PSI), and High (3300 to 3500PSI) is a fairly well established "rule of thumb" where I work. I think 2400PSI is a pretty good start point when disusing the difference between LP, Standard and HP as LP bottles from several manufacturers ship with LP Valves, Standard valves rated for standard pressure and HP valves for HP tanks. Heck there's even a new Luxfer S106W 105.2CF 4350PSI which is made with aluminum barrel hoops and a carbon fiber wrap with great buoyancy characteristics. So to say 3AL bottles aren't considered high pressure may be a bit of a misnomer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom