Terrible Advanced open water experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbd:
As far as I'm aware a dive to 20 feet for 15 to 20 minutes meets the requirements of being logged as a training dive. No need to log it as 40 ft dive.

The divemaster/instructor asking a student to falsify his log was most likely only doing it to cya.

amascuba:
The divemaster/instructor asking a student to falsify his log was most likely only doing it to cya.
Which would really only make things worse if there had been a problem or the incident is reported to the agency.

In any field, accurate documentation of an event provides far more cya than inaccurate documentation. I know this from past professional experience in healthcare.

You need to decide if you even want to dive in our dark, frigid Canadian Lakes at all. If you do, than get some experience at 25-35 feet and over time increase the depth as you get comfortable and your skills allow. You don't need an AOW card for that. If you decide that you only want to dive in the tropics, then don't spend you money taking courses in Canada. The diving environments are different and competence in one environment does not normally translate into the other.

I took my OW class in the winter and completed my certification dives in May. For the entire summer I only dove with the LDS (where I took the OW class) on there 'newbie' organized trips. While the dives were actually quite boring since we were doing the same dives over and over again, I think it paced my progress and made me a better diver.

I don't have my AOW, nor do I think I need to get it to progress in my diving. I just keep jumping in the water, getting better every dive and gradually taking on more challenges.

havnmonkey:
31 #'s!?!?! Are you sure that is not too heavy? Sounds like strapping an anchor to your chest!

haha... yeah it can sure seem that way, especially if there's a long walk to the dive site. I use 34# in the ocean (with a full 2 piece 7 mil suit, al80) and knock off about 4-6 pounds in freshwater. I would sure like to know what it's like to dive in warm water with a shorty, it sounds nice... :wink:

MikeFerrara:
A couple of weeks ago, I had an interesting conversation with a new instructor. She told me about an AOW deep dive where one of the students came up missing and she found him on the surface. I don't really remember if she had seem the student leave or not but that's not the point of the story.

She explained to me that she knew that the student would have problems because of his poor skills and she warned him. I had to ask, why she took the student on a deep dive in the first place. I also asked what sense there was in taking a diver deep if they aren't any good shallow. I got that deer in the headlights look. In her defense though, she was pretty much oporating as she was taught. From her descriptions of the students skill issues I don't think she would have ever even saw them as a potential problem except that she has recently completed some more advanced training herself that no doubt showed her what things should look like.

What a concept...get good shallow before going deep! You'd think we were speaking a different language or something. LOL

Yep, and people look at you like you've got three heads because by the standards, it would seem that these folks have been given the green light, and have the god-given right to not only be on that dive but in fact obtain a card merely by paying the course fees.........

It's absolutely crazy.

LOG-SPLITTER:
Any words of advice for me I’m just really turned off of diving right now. And have no desire to to it again anytime soon.

What you really need is some quiet, easy quality time in cold water. It's a lot different than diving in warm water but it can be just as much fun. You don't say where you are in Canada, if you're not too far from Ohio you are more than welcome to come out to Gilboa Quarry for the Scubaboard Meet-n-Greet the Great Lakes Wrecking Crew is having Sept 23-24 (some of us may be there as early as Friday afternoon-Sept 22). I'm willing to help you get your warm water skills transferred to cold water gear and there are others who would probably be just as willing to help. The best advice I can give is: Find someone who is willing to dive with you and just do a couple of fun dives in cold water!
Ber :lilbunny:

Scuba_Steve:
Yep, and people look at you like you've got three heads because by the standards, it would seem that these folks have been given the green light, and have the god-given right to not only be on that dive but in fact obtain a card merely by paying the course fees.........

It's absolutely crazy.

As far as I can figure, God has given them the right but He is also more than willing to use the consequences of one's decisions as to how excersize those rights to rebuke and instruct.

spankey:
get a new instructor, DM & LDS this is how people are killed and stop diving. These types of instructors need to be reported, I cant belive the DM wanted u to falsify your log book. I am willing to put money on this that it was a PADI AOW.

Sure, if it's bad it must be PADI..right? I'd be willing to put money on it being PADI as well, but not because of the bad experience, but rather because they do the majority of certs.

While I don't condone the actions of the divemaster/instructor based on the post, there are some things I think need to be discussed/answered.

First, you are OW certified, that means you *should* be responsible for yourself in the water. Part of that is equipment. Were you unable to verify that your equipment was complete, and in good working order prior to leaving the shop?

Did you try on the wetsuit at the shop? If not, then make sure to do so. If so, then maybe you just need some pool time in a heavy wetsuit to get comfortable. Yes, the are snug, but should not be uncomfortable.

What were your pool sessions like? Did the instructor address buoyancy issues in a wetsuit during the classroom, pool sessions?

What speciality were you doing?

Did the instructor give a dive briefing before the dive?

DM's are not qualified to do AOW certification without an instructor, why where you working with a DM, and not the instructor?

I think this goes back farther than this one dive. I'm questioning if your OW class taught you what you needed to know. I also must question the AOW pool and classroom sessions.

The bottom line is that once you are OW certified, it is your job to make sure that your equipment is in good working order, and that you are prepared for a dive.

It certainly sounds as if you need to find another LDS and instructor, however they did get one thing right, you were not ready. It's curious why the DM would even have you log the dive. If it was not at least 20 minutes, and you did no skill, it won't count towards anything.

It's easy to blame the instructor, LDS, and even agency when things go poorly on a training dive, and in this case it sounds as if they can take the blame for several problems. Part of diving is self evaluation, taking responsibility for your diving, and your well being. I did not read one thing in the origial post indicating what things you could have done better. Certainly you can not blame the LDS for your inability to work well using gloves even if a good instructor may have made you wear them in the pool.

I'd take up the offer to dive with some of Scubaboard folks, but IMO you should not be diving with anyone who is less than Rescue certified. Also don't count on your equipment being right if you rent (or even if you own). It's really your responsibility to check rental gear when you pick it up, and make certain that everything is there, and working properly. Certainly the LDS should maintain the gear properly, but mistakes get made, so be to check before leaving the LDS.

I hope your next experience is better than the last. Cold water diving can be fun, but it's definately a lot more gear intensive, and potentially more dangerous than warm water diving on shallow reefs with good vis!

Ask around, and find a GOOD instructor, or an LDS that others think highly of. SB members tend to be critical, so if you get recommendations here, the LDS or instructor they will recommend will likely be good.

MikeFerrara:
As far as I can figure, God has given them the right but He is also more than willing to use the consequences of one's decisions as to how excersize those rights to rebuke and instruct.

Train up thy sons when they are young, in the ways of DIR, for when they are old, they will not depart from it........Or I may be mis-quoting slightly here...lol

Steve

Back
Top Bottom