The "other" end of the DIR question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara:
Ckean your own tanks and then it won't cost so much. For me to pay some one to clean all my tanks and service all my regs would cost as much as I spend on diving in a whole year. That'll be the day.

I hear you on that! I own about as many tanks as the LDS owner (although he will take them out of his shop's back room if really wants to go diving and it is a slow week, LOL).

Essentially, I am paying to have the valves repacked with O2 compatible material and the availability of shop space/tools to tear down my doubles. The maintenance guy at the dive shop makes us clean the actual tanks.

If it were one of the less frequent customers, he would do more for me. But most of the "techies" are touchy about the way things are done (myself included) for him to do it for me. Besides, if I want a DiveCon gig anytime soon, I do what he tells me. He schedules the classes and fun dives, LOL!

"or non-DIR people could do the same and not be so threatened by a group that agrees to do things a particular way."

We sure could, however the point is that in some non DIR threads people ask for open advice and at suddenly a DIR zealot jumps in and makes a statement that doing it any other way is dangerous. Many of the responces to this thread people are saying i like a lot of what DIR has to offer but im not taking it 100%. DIR by its own admission says back us 100% or you are not DIR.

We are not threatened by DIR, far from it, that makes YOU sound arrogant IMHO

sea nmf:
<snip>

I'm hoping that some day a friendly diver will show me the techniques and equipment. So far, however, each time I ask, I'm told to take the class. I'm not sure why they won't share information . . . . .

This certainly isn't my experience. In my experience many DIR divers have a strong compulsion to talk about it. Perhaps you're not asking a specific enough question.

R..

bwerb:
I know that...my problem is with their definition of "similar".

For instance...there is NO DIR instruction in Vancouver. Closest is Seattle. I know a shop which has had personal experience with really enjoying some of the teaching and has tried to implement some of what's taught in their classes but...they are forbidden to say have a Tech 1 class run throught their shop because it would be a "similar" course. This is what I'm complaining about. On one side the DIR adherents are accused of being narrow minded...on the other side, shops by their affiliation are FORCED to be narrowminded and not be able to offer a range of different courses of a similar bend for fear of losing their status. This is the way it is...and I think it's the sad flip-side of the coin. Can't learn DIR, IANTD or TDI from the shop now (although they used to teach IANTD...since the whole DSAT thing came about...actually...same goes for the First Responder course too)

Brian,

If they're forbidden to offer it through the shop then what stops them from "freelancing" out of the back of a truck?

R..

The "all or nothing" approach is what puts me off. I dive to relax and get away from all the "musts" of regular life not to wallow in them while diving (no disrespect to DIRirs but this is the impression I´ve gotten from different boards). I do like the way a similar set-up is promoted but for me and my buddies that´s just not going to happen, specially not for all dives. Also I dive solo sometimes. The focus on teams (as I understand it) is very close/same to the way I and my buddies dive and the focus on general fitness and skills are commendable.

I´m not a tech diver but will take a wreck-diving course this summer so I guess you could say I´m standing at the edge of the financial abyss (and getting ready to jump). A lot of the stuff I´ve read on DIR seems valid and the cost of DIR-F seems very reasonable but going all the way just seems like to much money for to little utility.

In the end the financial costs of DIRing and the way a few DIRers behave just make think that it´s not worth the bother...

bwerb:
I know that...my problem is with their definition of "similar".

For instance...there is NO DIR instruction in Vancouver. Closest is Seattle. I know a shop which has had personal experience with really enjoying some of the teaching and has tried to implement some of what's taught in their classes but...they are forbidden to say have a Tech 1 class run throught their shop because it would be a "similar" course. This is what I'm complaining about. On one side the DIR adherents are accused of being narrow minded...on the other side, shops by their affiliation are FORCED to be narrowminded and not be able to offer a range of different courses of a similar bend for fear of losing their status. This is the way it is...and I think it's the sad flip-side of the coin. Can't learn DIR, IANTD or TDI from the shop now (although they used to teach IANTD...since the whole DSAT thing came about...actually...same goes for the First Responder course too)

That's a choice they make when they become a 5-star center though, they can teach all the classes from all the agencies they want, they just won't be a 5-star center.

Ben

padiscubapro:
IF my info is correct (I trust the source) "JJ" has only been diving since around '92. Not very long for a head of an agency....

I choose not to be DIR based on my many years of playing with my gear.. I firmly don't believe one gear config fits all situations..

Yeah who carres about his skill,or his knowlege,or his accomplishments...after all hes only been diving for 12 yrs! How good could he be right? I truly cant belive you guys.

WaterDawg:
Yeah who carres about his skill,or his knowlege,or his accomplishments...after all hes only been diving for 12 yrs! How good could he be right? I truly cant belive you guys.
He didn't comment on his skill, knowledge or accomplishments. In any system, evolution plays a role (both good and bad, certainly). I believe the comment was to the effect that if someone has twice as much experience, there's a lesser desire to adapt some of the more dogmatic principles that accompany a "one way only" system.

If you agree you never stop learning, then hopefully you'll get the point...

Wouldn't that be cave diving for 12 years? I would bet he has been diving quite a bit longer.

gj62:
He didn't comment on his skill, knowledge or accomplishments. In any system, evolution plays a role (both good and bad, certainly). I believe the comment was to the effect that if someone has twice as much experience, there's a lesser desire to adapt some of the more dogmatic principles that accompany a "one way only" system.

If you agree you never stop learning, then hopefully you'll get the point...

jhelmuth:
Well... in my eyes, I've always been "doing it right" 8o)

The reason I don't "join" any organization is that I am comfortable being me - I don't need to be labeled for others to approve of who I am. I've also noticed that any organization which promotes itself (and especially promotes a comercial entity - like Halcyon) is also comercial, and therefore runs on a profit motive (if not, then they would not "dis" other comercial entities - like Oxycheq). Not my concern, nor my cup-of-tea.
On a positive note... I love some of the philosophies that DIR expouses: Fitness and Health, knowing one's limits, focus on skills. These are all good and worthwile endevours. But I don't think that any of the above specifically require specific, approved, DIR gear to acheive.

Could not have said it better myself. My DR TPII is a wonderful rig. Not DIR but it works for me. I can dive single, double and change wings accordingly. Will suit me fine through Intro to Cave which is where I will stop my caving education. Did not go BP because I don't like wearing a BP when I go tropical diving. Just my pref.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom