U-869 and the ongoing arguments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have always been a bit surprised that SB blocks the "N" word referring to extremist German politics circa, 1931-1945. But I don't view the word "gentile" in the same light though. As I understand it, "gentile" is a word that comes from a mis-translation of Hebrew in the King James version of the Bible which has come to mean "non-Jewish". Defining people by what they are not may strike some as distasteful, but I don't think it is insulting or abusive. If the Jewish members of my family referred to me as a gentile I wouldn't take it as an insult.

Not wanting to hijack the thread, but just my 2 PSI.

That word is blocked by many boards, if only because of Godwin's Law. In this case like most cases, its probably a civility thing.

And let's not forget that this is Pete's board. Freedom of the press applies only to the person who owns the press. Remember that censorship is not being able to say what you want at someone else's expense, its not being able to say what you want at your own. Which doesn't apply here.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled scuba icon bashing. :eyebrow:

And who, exactly, gives a d***?

I do admire the bravery and determination with which the East Coast wreck diving community has pursued the exploration of those wrecks, but I can't think why anyone outside of that community should give a flying ******* about all the personal attitudes and animosities you always hear and read about.

The way I see it, Chatterton and Kohler tell the best story!! Common guys, they have pictures and **** plates to back up their talk. Gentile is just talking smack. Does he have the bell? Let's see it.

Yeah, I would love to see the bell from a German sub, too! I heard the crews were prohibited from using the u-boat bell while submerged so as to not disturb marine mammals. :rofl3:

Or you could ask Gary to show you the bell from the Andria Doria and tell you the story of how it fell off the back of a truck on the way to a wedding. I believe he was part of the team that recovered that bell but it has been a number of years since it was borought to the "Planet Ocean Divers" club meeting. (too bad the club did not last more than a few years)

I have met all of the principles in this discussion and although it has been a number of years since I dove with Gary on "Dive Shop of NJ" charters, I never saw him involved in anything that was not above board. In recent years I have met Richie and John and they seem to be straight up guys also.

Each of these guys has done a great deal to move diving forward and bring it to the masses. Gary spent many of his "consulting fees" in legal expenses battling the US Govt. trying to get divers access to the "Monitor" and other wrecks and John and Richie's TV show made wreck diving appealing to those who have never experienced it. The all deserve our thanks.

If you read the stories of Doria diving, you will see the lines being drawn for many years before the U869 came into the picture. I just like sitting back and watching the controversy they stir.

And who, exactly, gives a d***?

I do admire the bravery and determination with which the East Coast wreck diving community has pursued the exploration of those wrecks, but I can't think why anyone outside of that community should give a flying ******* about all the personal attitudes and animosities you always hear and read about.
The same people who get of on all of the strife and bickering on reality TV shows.

Back
Top Bottom