What is the customary tip for dive charters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Removed

I've seen $5, $10 and $20 for a two tank dive. I think the $20 is a bit much unless I get to DM some charters next year....

Nothing

I'm British :wink:

$0, $5, or $10 per tank. And anything in between.
I tip depending on the service and social aspect of the crew. If they just go through the motions, I'll drop in a minimum tip. If I feel like they could improve upon something and aren't making the effort to improve, I'll won't leave a tip.

The boats I've dived off of use a tip jar.

I had heard 10% - 20% the cost of the charter. Does depend on the level of service. I generally try leave good tip but only if they are accomodating and I feel like I've had good service.

I feel $5 PER tank is minimum in the US. That is in the neighborhood of 10%. I think most OPs in the Caribbean expect US tipping standards.

I dislike the European way of, I do not tip at home so I don't anywhere else. The major difference, US salary's for these type of jobs are not even minimum wage, so the tip is part of the salary. Prices here are generally less, so Tip! That includes sit down meals as well as diving! :D

If I had a good cruise/dives over multiple days I tip at the end of the trip as well. Not huge as I tip daily, but maybe $25 for three or four days.

It also depends a bit on how I feel about the overall charges. My buddy had to pay a bit in Extra Fees at the end (surprise) that are generally included in other Ops regular charges. He was none too happy, and tipped less at the end which is too bad as the owners are collecting hidden fees that piss customers off. They would likely be better off collecting these 'hidden' charges up front rather than this Oh by the way stuff.

I have never had no water on a Keys boat. That is REALLY strange and potentially dangerous, what dive Op? Most provide fruit, snacks, water and canned beverages. I have dove with more than a few.

Last edited:
Dislike the "European way" if you like, but why the hell would I tip someone if the service was non-existant?
Its not a tax or a surcharge, its a bonus paid for good service - you should earn it or you shouldnt get it..

Interesting. What do they do to earn it? From my standpoint they have to screw up to not get it.... This is not going above and beyond, but something expected for adequate service in a tip oriented job.

The Deck-mates and crew on most dive boats are excellent. In Europe these folks are paid better, and things are more expensive in general.

Back
Top Bottom