What is the fundamental reason that prevents scuba diving from becoming popular?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Early introduction pays dividends. The tall one is a college junior now, enrolled in a university scuba course this semester.

rx7diver

View attachment 719039

I love this photo so much, that I could frame it and put it on my mantle!

Er ... my husband still can't swim! He managed to float for the pool test though. (Maybe I wasn't supposed to say that he can't swim, but I don't think they'll revoke his certs, will they?). Anyway, for almost a decade I've been telling absolutely every single client about scuba diving, in the hopes that I will talk SOMEONE into diving! I got an email from a former client the other day, saying she was going to do a discover scuba session with the LDS. I was SO thrilled! When I bring up scuba I occasionally get "I don't know how to swim", but I've also gotten 'general fear of water' (sometimes a traumatic event), don't like the water, fear of sharks, not interested or they'll think about starting with snorkeling. Annnnnnd ... I can tell you that my sister never learned to swim because she wasn't willing to get her head in the water because it would smudge her makeup and mess up her hair (wimmen and vanity!). For the same reasons, she still wouldn't be a scuba (or snorkeling) candidate.
Sorry, my opinion is different, we don't need divers who can't swim. An incredible liability.

I love this photo so much, that I could frame it and put it on my mantle!
@chillyinCanada,

I had just returned from a professional conference in Seattle--where I had taken my scuba gear in order to do my first dive ever in Puget Sound. My girls insisted on helping me unpack. :)

rx7diver

Well, there is not a single reference movie about scuba diving except maybe « Le monde du silence » that people below 50 don’t know. There is not a single scuba TV channel. We have no championship, no charismatic figure, no star, no celeb out of our industry. Add to this the high cost and the fact that you can’t practise it all year long in most of the countries, I would say that 3 millions divers worldwide is not too bad. On the other hand, when you go to some tourist sites packed with diving boats, you wish the sport was even less popular.

Sorry, my opinion is different, we don't need divers who can't swim. An incredible liability.
I hear ya. He passed the PADI requirement to either tread water or float for whatever the minimum amount of time was. He went to two or three different swim instructors to learn to swim. He's never in the water without at least a mask and snorkel (he swims fine with fins, mask and snorkel). The only time he'd be a liability is if the boat went down. In that unlikely event, there are life jackets as well as BCs.

I hear ya. He passed the PADI requirement to either tread water or float for whatever the minimum amount of time was. He went to two or three different swim instructors to learn to swim and he cannot be taught. He's never in the water without at least a mask and snorkel (he swims fine with fins, mask and snorkel). The only time he'd be a liability is if the boat went down. In that unlikely event, there are life jackets as well as BCs.
I also think non-swimmers have significantly less bandwidth when it comes to dealing with trying circumstances in the water. This is only my opinion and is not fact based. I'll take a buddy who can swim, if any buddy at all. I appreciate your honesty.

As I pointed out in my first post, as a person of color scuba diving has been pointed out to me as unattractive and unattainable.
When I took my first scuba class at the YMCA, in the late 1970s, there were something like ten to twelve kids in each Summer session -- of every conceivable ethnic background, from African Americans and Latinos to Southern Asians and Samoans; and my younger brother and I were the minorities in our particular class . . .

I also think non-swimmers have significantly less bandwidth when it comes to dealing with trying circumstances in the water.
I’m of the same opinion. I don’t really care if they have good swimming form, but there is a lot to be said for being comfortable in the water. I grew up in and around the water. I took swim lessons at an early age. My two daughters started even earlier, actually before they could walk. My wife only took swimming lessons as an adult. Three of us dive, one does not, and I have no desire to push it. She’s comfortable in the water when sh can stand, but that’s about it.

I only have anecdotal evidence that strong swimming skills translates well to Scuba. My oldest got buoyancy control down in the pool sessions, and handled an unplanned regulator retrieval with free flow like a pro on her 3rd checkout dive.

As I pointed out in my first post, as a person of color scuba diving has been pointed out to me as unattractive and unattainable. Introducing the sport to those who be interested in it would help or one of the dive organizations (PADI) can do a community outreach to attract minorities and others to the sport. As I'm writing this I'm still working on finding a dive shop in my area (South Carolina) to embark on this endeavor.

Once certified as an instructor you could work in the scuba industry, teach and sell used dive gear. Maybe the community could help with funding.

As I pointed out in my first post, as a person of color scuba diving has been pointed out to me as unattractive and unattainable. Introducing the sport to those who be interested in it would help or one of the dive organizations (PADI) can do a community outreach to attract minorities and others to the sport. As I'm writing this I'm still working on finding a dive shop in my area (South Carolina) to embark on this endeavor.
What’s colour got to do with scuba diving?

Most people got into scuba through either knowing someone who is a diver or on holiday and "doing their PADI" at some resort location.

Few, if anyone, ever considered spending time diving in grotty, cold, poor visibility lakes until they’re completely addicted. By that time they’re motivated and have probably "invested" thousands in kit and courses.

It is perfectly achievable for poor people — such as students — to learn to dive but that would be through a dive club with volunteers and a stash of equipment. That’s very common in the UK with BSAC clubs and the like, especially those affiliated with universities.

Desire and motivation is all you need. Having some money makes it easier.

Go to any dive shop and hand over a few hundred quid/bucks/euros and do your Open Water course, or even just a few quid/bucks/euros for a Discover Scuba Diving session. Generally it’s a lot nicer in some warm location.

Also, what is a "minority"? Is that some special meaning of a fit healthy human with normal cognitive abilities? Scuba is definitely not for people who refuse to learn or behave in an unsafe manner. Entry requirements are being fit and healthy— e.g. able to pass a medical; being able to read, write and study the theory; being able to understand the language you’re taught in; most importantly being able to think for oneself as your life — and the lives of others — depends upon it.

I just cannot see what creed nor culture has to do with going diving. JFDI

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom