What's wrong with Split Fins??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rawls:
Split fins are really good in bath tubs and swimming pools.:peepwalla

Yep, good one alright. I'll never think of a comeback for that one.:D

SkullDeformity:
Don't be a martyr rawl!

:hanged: :bigun2: :kopfab: :lam: :yeahbaby:

Good one Skull:rofl3:

Splitlip:
Here is an unscientific test. I have nearly 500 dives. About 25 of which were using Apollo Bio Fins. While they are not always my fin of choice, I challenge the claim that they don't work in currents. They do. They perform more efficently than my Jets.

On an excursion about a year ago I took both my Apollos and my Jets. It was about a 2 k current. NO I did not measure it, but the boat Captain said it was 2k and based on my experience it fealt about right.
First dive was with the Jets. At the end of the dive before I bailed, I turned into the current for 15 seconds and kicked to remain in place.
Second dive after the SI (40 minutes +-) I dopped in with Apollos and turned into the current for 15 seconds and kicked to hold my position. With the splits I was less stressed, no burn etc.

Unscientific? sure. But it was the same ocean same day within 1 hour and within a few miles.

Why would I want to swim against the current? I don't know. Buddy with the DSMB dropped behind a ledge to deploy while I was an top of the ledge? Why didn't the "team" stay together during the "mission"? I don't know.
But don't tell me that split fins don't work in current.
I've had the opposite experience ... with a bit over 650 dives on Biofins and a bit over 1,000 dives in Jets. In my experience, I can maintain my position in a stiff current with much less effort in the Jets. With the Biofins I can still maintain my position, but it's necessary to kick more frequently.

Personally, I think a lot of this anecdotal evidence (including mine) is very subjective, and based on the personal preferences of the wearer ... which would include not only what style you're more familiar with, but how you've trained your body to perform kicks. Efficient kicks in splits require different leg motions than equally-efficient kicks in paddle fins.

BTW - two knots of current is a fairly stiff drift dive. I'd admire anyone who can kick against it for anything more than a few seconds at a time ... in any style of fin. I think I'd need a scooter to do that ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

DeepBound:
I can back fin with my apollo bio-fin split fins. I haven't been able to back fin with jet fins or turtle fins.
My experience is the opposite ... I can back-kick just fine in Jets, but not in Biofins.

For that matter, I was with Uncle Pug when he tried it using the ones Mike Ferrara sent him ... and he couldn't do it either. Well, actually after he duct-taped the splits together he managed to back kick in them, but not efficiently.

I haven't seen anyone accomplish a back-kick in Biofins yet ... and those fins are very popular here, due to the fact that the largest scuba retailer in our area sells them. Mostly I see them being used by people who are only interested in flutter-kicking. I will admit, though, that you can go very fast in them ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I wish they made a fin that would convert from jet style to split and back with a flick of a switch.

I have both and find the splits work really great for long fast swims with much less fatigue and much greater speed. However I find that the jets work much better when doing precision kicks (frog, back, helicopter).

It'd be great to have best of both worlds.

I think people should stick the kind that suits their finning style the best.

I think the fact that you have two camps, who's followers so vocally support their candidate, says that both types of fins work well, but that neither type is the best for all people.

Correct me if I have missed it, but have we have learned anything more than this after almost two hundred posts?:deadhorse:

Now...I am off to start a thread on Jacket BCD versus BP/W. :mooner:

Gary

NWGratefulDiver:
BTW - two knots of current is a fairly stiff drift dive. I'd admire anyone who can kick against it for anything more than a few seconds at a time ... in any style of fin. I think I'd need a scooter to do that ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Ahh shucks. 'Tweren't nothin'.

teamgs:
I think the fact that you have two camps, who's followers so vocally support their candidate, says that both types of fins work well, but that neither type is the best for all people.

Correct me if I have missed it, but have we have learned anything more than this after almost two hundred posts?:deadhorse:

Now...I am off to start a thread on Jacket BCD versus BP/W. :mooner:

Gary

Well if you boil it down that you can scrap half of the traffic on the board!

DeepBound:
I can back fin with my apollo bio-fin split fins. I haven't been able to back fin with jet fins or turtle fins.

ROTFLMAO I figure a diver with the rumoured skill that you have should have been able to do so with no problems, I guess the rumours are not as accurate as they seemed to be.

If you took that free DIRF course that was offered to you this would have been solved.

Back
Top Bottom