• Friends

Votes: 14 23.7%
  • Scuba.com

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Scubaboard

Votes: 40 67.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The premise the survey -- measuring if any of the secondary marketplaces is a source of reliable used gear -- is invalid. That's a very different question that the title of the thread, which doesn't have the word "reliable".

Some sellers may do a meticulous job of caring for their gear, but it was unreliable from the manufacturer -- does that say anything about either the seller or the forum (craiglist, FB) where it was sold?

Some sellers do a better job of caring for or refurbishing used gear than others, leading to a buyer's perception of the reliability of the equipment, but that says little about the category (ie., LDS, or eBay, or Scubaboard classifieds) as a whole.
I totally overlooked the word "reliable" in the survey question. I just answered where I bought scuba gear.

In addition to what you pointed out about the ambiguity of the term "reliable," it could also refer to the seller's reliability. As in, can you rely on the seller to deliver the item you believed you were getting?

Appreciate everyone’s insightful feedback. I agree reliability may be a loaded descriptor. But to keep it simple I really just want to understand where folks are buying used gear. I always buy everything new as a force of habit. I agree the deeper dive is needed to really understand the dimensions of reliability.

But to keep it simple I really just want to understand where folks are buying used gear. I always buy everything new as a force of habit.
Not only is scuba gear pretty durable, but it's common for gear in great condition to show up on the used market because many people who are new to the sport enthusiastically buy all the gear and then get out of the sport a few years later.

I mostly find used gear or do deals with people I know on Scubaboard.
I don’t do facebook.
Sometimes I’m given old gear by friends and/or acquaintances.
Lately I have been given a ton of great used gear by my LDS. Yes, that’s not a typo, my LDS!
People turn it in/drop it off and they can’t really sell it and don’t want to deal with it so they give it to me. Regs, tanks, backpacks, old double hose regs, etc. But I’m an old metal reg aficionado and I like cool old stuff.

I post on here and facebook marketplace regularly. I don't think I have really ever sold much on here. Marketplace goes quickly.

I buy here, CraigsList, and EBay. Reliable? Here may be slightly more reliable, but it's really about doing your due diligence with research, etc.

The reasons I don't use facebook-marketplace, is because I avoid facebook itself like the plague it is. That said, FB marketplace does seem to have a decent amount of gear.

Mostly eBay and Craigslist, occasionally here.

The CVS over by Walmart or the one across from Pep-Boys?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom