Why not SPG under the left arm to left Chest D ring?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, why not?
If it works for you, do it. Contrary to popular belief, you allowed to set your gear up any way you want to. If it is something that could affect a rescue or cause difficulty in how you interact with your buddy make sure your configuration is discussed in your pre-dive buddy checks. I don't think your SPG will be one of those things.

How is it possible to clip to right chest ring and not interfere with the long hose?
It follows the corrugated hose, even to going on the velcro holder. The long hose goes from my right hip, to the left side of my neck. I don't think they ever touch.
I’ll usually run mine under my left arm
I teach with a long hose and my students also use a long hose. Under the arm makes it problematic to do a dof and don of the BC, especially if you're doing it horizontal and neutral. Over the shoulder makes it very clean. I do this for both rec and tech, if the tech is back mounted doubles.

I have an old fashioned console and run it under the left arm and attach it to my left chest ring with a strong retractor. Keeps it tight to my chest. If I need to use the compass I can grab and pull.

As The Chairman pointed out it does require me to unclip to doff and don but for a recreational environment it's no big deal.

... I seem to snag/pull things more when on the boat, maneuvering around people, railings, tables, and tanks. I have swam over/around/past rocks and coral where clearances were tight (usually during entry/exit). I strive to keep my gear secured, but still have wrapped my hands and arms around stuff to improve clearance.

Yeah, I also forgot to say I hardly ever dive from boats. I'm a solo shore dive kind of person. That's why I love Bonaire so much. I don't think anything (hoses, pockets, things clipped on) is more than a couple of inches from my body. I keep some things tucked under the straps of my harness. If an entry is that tight I'm just not doing it.

... As a side note, I also try to avoid situations where I say "here, hold my beer" :wink:

Cheers!

LOL. Not an option for me anymore. One of the handicaps of getting old is that one of my meds reacts horribly with even the tinyest bit of alcohol. Although that does make for more dives. What else am I going to do? Take a nap. Nah - I can rest all I want when I'm dead.

You must miss a lot of small stuff, then, since there's no way you can see a little pipefish or thousands of other critters from that distance. Do the smaller critters just hold absolutely zero interest for you?

Nope. Hunting around for stuff that is nearly too small to see with my old eyes doesn't float my boat. If I want to see tiny stuff, I have a microscope at home and plenty of pond water nearby.

Just get a perdix AI and this whole conversation is moot :yeahbaby:

They are as reliable as a mechanical spg. And if it fails dive is over, just like if the spg failed.

They are as reliable as a mechanical spg. And if it fails dive is over, just like if the spg failed.

So this is the basic forum - and safety is paramount but don't you think depth and time have a bearing on "dive is over"?

I have many dives in the ocean and lakes where the dives are less than 20 feet - hard bottom and lots of sea horses and/or things to look at - I dont believe I would cancel a dive for that. So to me it depends...

Do I have redundancy? Is it shallow enough for my risk tolerance? Have my buddy and I dove with each other enough to know our routine on this dive? Have I dove this dive multiple times and have a good understanding of the time, depth and sac rate to continue? Am I at the beginning of my dive or towards the end? Do I think I am shaving it close or do I have lots of safety built in?

I think the big picture is as important as the minutia... Diving off a boat at 60+ feet I take a more cautious approach - but I also dive doubles at that depth.

My buddy once had an AI tank unit fail during a cave dive - and no spg. Even though he had recently checked his pressure - and he knew he was well within thirds, it was still very tense exiting not knowing for sure what the cylinder pressure was. I specifically remember that as seeming like one of my longest swims out ...

do you carry a spare spg for your mechanical spg? If your mechanical spg fails it’s the same situation - you only have one. Like you explained above if you plan appropriately you have enough gas to get out

I don’t see how moving sn SPG from a left hip D-ring to the left shoulder D-ring is going to add any more “floppy” hose to anything? As I see it it actually takes up a little more slack, that's why I went to it.
It’s either that or I have been known to stuff it under my waist belt up front on occasion. It’s always there and I can pull it out and look at it once in a while.
I suppose some of you have a problem with that??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom