Women and everything being heavy in scuba diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I read all the posts, great thread.

We train inexperienced people at the machine shop I work at to be skilled machinists.

Regardless of gender, if a newer employee is relatively short, we can get them a moveable stepping platform; if they don't have the arm strength to torque something properly with an average wrench, they can use an extention (cheater) or pneumatic tool; and, if it's too heavy to lift or move, they can get a second person, a lifting device, a bridge crane, and even riggers.

The point is, what I really care about is their math ability, attention to detail, teamwork, and aptitude for putting out perfect machined parts at the end of the day, and that's 100% mind.

That said, I am grateful to have learned about lifting free weights back in highschool from the trainer who was there at the time. Regardless of the amount of weight, I think technique is key.
I love this post! I am trying to learn to stop being too proud and independent to ask for help. Your post really helps put it in perspective. We all have assets and experiences that contribute to the success of the dive!

I love this post! I am trying to learn to stop being too proud and independent to ask for help. Your post really helps put it in perspective...

There will always be someone stronger, bigger, faster, smarter, younger, richer, better-looking, (pick your favorite asset)... it's just a fact of life. We have to play the cards we're dealt.

Since my husband just hurt his back, I am carrying everything I can for him. Just what people do for each other.

Since my husband just hurt his back, I am carrying everything I can for him. Just what people do for each other.
Me too.... It is killing him that he can't help but that's life. The worst is when you are moving luggage through the scanners and you have to remind him not to grab the bag. I think his pride really gets in the way. I feel so bad for him since he has always been the heavy lifter. Getting old sucks...:(

... I think his pride really gets in the way...

I can't speak for him but I suspect it goes much deeper than pride. I believe that most (unfortunately not all) men are born with a sense of protecting and respecting women. It is sad that some societies depress rather than nurture that natural attribute.

Yes the pride things is hard to swallow as we age. :facepalm:I find it easier to be the helper than the helped. I've been telling myself that sometimes accepting assistance is actually helping another person feel valuable.

I know I may not be able to perform a long tow and rescue or do CPR as long as I used. I taught it for enough years that I am confident I would be able to train and support someone taking over when I reach my limit. I bring an O2 System, AED, top level first aid kit and years of ambulance service as my contribution to the team. It still galls that I haven't got the endurance I used to have.

Try using the Tank Trolley. It is easy to slip over the tank and can be taken off easy to store in your dive bag. I've traveled all over the world with mine since 2005. It will roll in the sand too with no problems! Its an essential piece of my dive gear now, Its always in my dive bag. when I rent a tank on vacation, the tank trolley goes on it.
I also attach my BC and gear to the tank and roll it. Lots of weight off the shoulders!
www.tanktrolley.net

Attachments

• IMG_7909.JPG
    IMG_7909.JPG
    150.7 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_9429.jpg
    IMG_9429.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 83
I think most of the answers to your question will be that women view scuba as an activity that involves weights and heavy tanks.

My mom is 68 and shore dives regularly in So Cal water with a 7mm wetsuit, hood, gloves and 26 pounds of lead. Usually postdive I'll pull one of her weight pouches to slightly lessen the burden for the long march back up the stairs. But she gets it done.
It appears that she is overweighted significantly?

everyone is different. there is no divide between male/female, individuals have different experiences regardless of sex.
I have absolutely no problem carrying my gear, but i have seen other women struggle, just as i have seen men struggle.
its personal, nothing to do with gender... just my 2 cents worth :wink:

I don't notice it so much vacation boat diving but local diving on shore/beaches has given me a good workout. Schlepping tanks and gear to and from storage and up stairs or to the car (apartment living) then from car to beach then back again to dive shop then home, etc....my arms, core, back, legs, everything is a workout. Long surface swims....

I let Mr OOO help out whenever he can (I love chivalry and have no problem playing damsel in distress, haha) but I'm also a DM candidate so gear schlepping for self, instructor, and students is a big part of my gig on the weekends.

I did purchase a collapsible wagon which has helped immensely (and is awesome for Costco and grocery runs when I unload the car). It has received the eye of envy from many and our group has quite a few wagons now. :) it makes it slightly easier.

Can you provide specific info about the collapsible wagon that you use?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom