300 ft Dive, Who Is This?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

and truly expose the stroke fest going on.

Jeff, I'm a true stroke! :D

That was in Truk by the way Catherine, diving the San Francisco before I took any Tech courses. Although I will never be a true Tech diver, I learned a lot in those classes. It changed the way I do deco forever and made me a much safer diver.

.... my problem is video recording it, posting it for all to see, and not putting a disclaimer that this is not the norm and should not be attempted by anyone. There are too many people who are influenced by what they see on TV or the internet, and if they don't have someone say to them, "this is dangerous, you could die", they think it's ok to do.
What do you have against Darwin ???? :lotsalove:

It's a "monkey see, monkey do" kind of situation. The guys that did the video pushed the boundaries of what is safe to their extreme and beyond, but they lived and did post the video of them successfully doing it. If they are certified divers, knowing the physiology of diving, and still did what they did, then there are others out there just like them watching and thinking "They did it, I can do that too!"

No, a disclaimer will not stop others from doing the same if they have set their mind to it, but maybe a disclaimer MIGHT make another person think twice before copying them. I do not see a disclaimer as a "get out of jail free" card, but as a warning that the actions are not safe and should not be attempted. Of course, these guys were stupid enough to do it in the first place, so they are not going to warn others not to do it, and they posted the video for all the world to see how proud they are for doing it. This where my irritation at them comes from.

There are a lot of videos on the internet with skateboarders having accidents, knocking themselves out, smashing in their front teeth etc. but even that does not stop others from trying the same stunts and video taping themselves having the same results...:rofl3:

I do see your point and I agree but at least divers have had, or should have had, the training to know better or at least understand that a stunt like that could kill them.

I think this was a cool dive. You have to push yourself to the limit and these guys were no where near the limit. If you've got the smarts then do it. Don't think someones stupid for a dive that you fear.

I think this was a cool dive. You have to push yourself to the limit and these guys were no where near the limit. If you've got the smarts then do it. Don't think someones stupid for a dive that you fear.

Welcome to scubaboard. What was the level of narcosis at that depth?

Welcome to scubaboard. What was the level of narcosis like at that depth?

There are the thrill seekers who actually have significantly less amounts of seritonin in their system, so it takes greater and more extreme daredevil acts to give them the adrenalin rush, the rest of us would get with less stimulus.

Sooo THAT'S what's wrong with me. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom