300 ft Dive, Who Is This?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I have been following this thread with palpitating heart. Growing up in the Rockies, I have free climbed many technical pitches, and crashed/trashed my first and only hang glide(r). I have leaped to ledges from hovering choppers in 30 knot gusts, and rode a 700' point sluff on one of my many solo backcountry snowboard runs. I ran away to Kauai after nearly cashing in on a slalom water ski trying NOT to hit the reservoir talus slope.

Hurricane Iniki was the most exciting day of my life; my free dive buddies (OW cert buddies) and I imbibed heavily of the front (lee) porch watching the rest of the neighborhood blow by. Working 18 months as one of the final Waimea cliff divers, I regularly did dives my boss would have fired me over if he knew I was doing them. All of that came after shattering my kneecap in a motorcycle wreck following a big biker Fourth of July bash where I was a keg tender.

Even as a working resort diver, all my supervisors have known about my solo scooter excursions, with their scooters and tanks on my scheduled work days. In all those situations, everyone with any sense knows I am taking significant risks, but my history of success means few waste their time telling me I shouldn't risk life & limb the way I have been since breaking my leg skiing at age 3.

As an instructor, I have had discussions with students about the fact that most divers should never consider the type of solo diving I do. I also tell them that my many times broken body is not a good risk for deep diving, and the deepest I ever planned to go was 137' to take a picture of the jewfish under the Bibb off Key Largo (w/100cft 28EAN). That usually leads to the discussion about my first working dive with Prodiver, where my only job was to keep slippery Ron from going too deep drifting around Shark Ledges; caught him in the down-current with my depth 146' and his 155' (boss said I didn't do too bad).

If I didn't have the chronically sprained ankles, shattered elbow, radius, tibia, patella, compound fractured wrist, completely reconstructed shoulder and the complaining hip that was never repaired in all those right side impacts I would be interested in going deeper than recreational depth. But I do, so I don't.

OK, now for the real reason I joined this thread; I talked with Adam the other day, Zollie's bald headed buddy. They are both Hungarian CMAS divers, and Andy talked about doing 100 meters during his training back home (with single 80's). He is mid to late thirties and in excellent physical shape. I invited him to join our discussion, but he did not act interested, did not even know what SB was. He said his goal for the dive was 90 meters and I did not get the impression he had any cares what anybody else feels about their dives or Zollie's video posts.
:popcorn:

Zollie is currently working in NY, so no new videos are planned. Andy's attitude was a contrast to my attitude about 50' running spread eagle gainer preacher seats into the waterfall or double gainers from 65', when talking to three of the worlds best cliff divers one year at Waimea Falls Park. Having those guys tell me I'm crazy was one of the biggest compliments of my life! Adam seemed unconcerned with anything other than successfully pulling off an easy 90 meter dive. I'd have to say from what I gathered, they really did the dive and they really don't care what you think.
:11:

I really hope these guys don't kill themselves. When things go FUBAR at 300 ft you die. The whole point of Tech diving with insane amounts of redundancy and scenario based training is to make sure bads things don't snowball to the FUBAR stage. Call me a lemming, call me a kool-aid drinker hell call me a wuss. I for one like my tech diving to be as safe as a drive to Zippys.

You have some cool pictures on your website Halemano.

OK, now for the real reason I joined this thread; I talked with Adam the other day, Zollie's bald headed buddy. They are both Hungarian CMAS divers, and Andy talked about doing 100 meters during his training back home (with single 80's).

Doesn't surprise me.

Very similar to the Russians and the red sea. Some one should look up the stats.

I don't think they should care what our opinion is. I believe in live and let live. It is their risk to take.

But we do have strong opinions, nonetheless. And we are simply stating them, not preventing them from doing the dives.

Halemano,

Great post. Hope to meet you some day. Thanks for all your environmental insights over the years. (btw, I just sold my place to a guy I googled and read all his environmental *letters to the editor* in the newspaper, and that was part of my choosing him over the other parties)

I Knew the were Europeans! And I do appreciate the fact that so many of them do not care what anyone thinks.

I would not do that dive, because it is not "worth it to me"...but I really do not get offended that they did it. Thanks for sharing your perspective, it was fun reading.

My comment about the bald head was just to say that whoever that was has been "out-running Darwin" as JB calls it, for awhile. And the best prediction of the future is the past. I doubt that guy will die anytime soon, because he has made a hobby of assessing risk, or he would already be dead.

Some people like risk and have "egos" and people that don't should not hate them, unless they are hurting someone else. Those cliff divers are nuts, (I did tell my kids to stop jumping off Portlock, because I am a mom.) I prefer they not die on "my watch" and make me look bad. If they want to grow up and be cliff divers, I can accept that.

I for one like my tech diving to be as safe as a drive to Zippys.
Now, Zippy's food WILL kill you, you know.

He he...."Zollie" Sounds like the car mafia. I love meeting people like that, myself, keeps me entertained. These Euro cyclists don't even wear helmets, they wear little cycling caps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom