Conshelf fans welcomed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the link Jim.

If the info is accurate it seems the "modern" 14 1st stage is 4 and 1 ports but the HP is now 7/16"
The photo of the 1st stage does still seem to show the 3 plus 1 model.

The 2nd stage now appears to be satin chrome (or at least the cover is) and has reverted back to the older style of exhaust T.

reefrat.....I'd love to know if your 1st stage has the same round milling around the ports and port layout and beveled spring end cap of the 21 and 22 (in other words it is a 21/22) or if it retains the arched milling and flat spring end cap of the 14 and is a new Conshelf model.

Thanks for the link Jim.

If the info is accurate it seems the "modern" 14 1st stage is 4 and 1 ports but the HP is now 7/16"
The photo of the 1st stage does still seem to show the 3 plus 1 model.

The 2nd stage now appears to be satin chrome (or at least the cover is) and has reverted back to the older style of exhaust T.

reefrat.....I'd love to know if your 1st stage has the same round milling around the ports and port layout and beveled spring end cap of the 21 and 22 (in other words it is a 21/22) or if it retains the arched milling and flat spring end cap of the 14 and is a new Conshelf model.

Fishpie
I have seen the pictures that you are referring to "The 2nd stage now appears to be satin chrome (or at least the cover is) and has reverted back to the older style of exhaust T" however I think they are incorrect, if you look in the current service manual on-line you will see a picture of this version on the front but the actual photos inside are all the modern version with shiny chrome and swept exhaust tee.
I will post a few photos of the reg with emphasis on the first stage when I get home tonight.
Cheers

That would be great.

Looking at the Amron Int site again and following the "attachments" link to their catalogue it shows the Octo pic as what I'd expect to see.....shiny with the newer style exhaust.

So glad that I found this thread and it is still active.

My wife still uses the Conshelf SE2 that she purchased used in 1996. Im of thought that its service is too expensive and she wouls be better off with something newer.

She asks and I have no answer, what is a Conshelf SE2 regulator worth?

That would be great.

Looking at the Amron Int site again and following the "attachments" link to their catalogue it shows the Octo pic as what I'd expect to see.....shiny with the newer style exhaust.

I doubt those photos are anything more than recycled art from long past. I prefer the newer style exhaust tee myself.

N

So glad that I found this thread and it is still active.

My wife still uses the Conshelf SE2 that she purchased used in 1996. Im of thought that its service is too expensive and she wouls be better off with something newer.

She asks and I have no answer, what is a Conshelf SE2 regulator worth?

Your wife might be interested in the latest incarnation of the Conshelf- the current Aqualung Titan, they are the sweetest breathing non-balanced second stage that I have ever used, including the Mares Abyss. The first stage is rock solid and proven while the design of the second stage is actually very clever and more innovative than most of the more expensive regulators with all the bells and whistles. It is almost entirely plastic, extremely light and easy to strip for cleaning, in fact I noticed that the low pressure seat can be backed off from the orifice for storage and that should stop the performance degrading between trips. I recently bought one as a back up and took it for a trial run 120 ft (on air) down the wall at Grand Turk last week, frankly I was shocked at how well it breathed even compared to my Atomic. Over the course of the following week I found myself using it as my primary set and I am a bit of a reg snob! I can't understand why it doesn't get more attention and the price (especially from Leisurepro) makes it an absolute steal.
I guess we will have to see how well the plastic components hold up over time but I don't expect any problems long term.

The SE2 will cost the same to service as the AquaLung Titan....they use the same parts kit.

Replace it if your wife is more comfortable with a newer reg or just to have something new, don't replace it if you think new will be more reliable.
....used SE2's are probably the best value regs for the used buyer, full sets with octo and gauges often sell on eBay for well under $100 even with shipping.

The SE2 will cost the same to service as the AquaLung Titan....they use the same parts kit.

Replace it if your wife is more comfortable with a newer reg or just to have something new, don't replace it if you think new will be more reliable.
....used SE2's are probably the best value regs for the used buyer, full sets with octo and gauges often sell on eBay for well under $100 even with shipping.

I totally agree about the reliability and value of the SE2, I bought one new in 1992 (I think it was?) and used it for many years and more than a few hundred dives. It was a good solid reg but for ease of breathing or comfort it would not be in the same class as the new Titan, and a brand new one with LP warranty for $224?
Anyway, not trying to hijack the Conshelf theme of this post, I am a big fan of Conshelf and will never get rid of my '80 XIV, just a pity Aqualung dropped the Conshelf name!

Wife and I love our conshelfs xiv Supremes and will dive them till the end of time.. :wink:...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom