Good Bye Cozumel!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ckofabq:
My bride and I were there when Wilma came smashing ashore
The force of nature was like nothing we'd ever experienced, and never hope to again.
But in that place and time, a bond was formed. A bond with the people who left their homes and families to help us through the storm. A bond with the island.
I believe these ties will last much longer than the effects of the hurricane.
Cozumel has seen such devastation long before we were here, and will long after we're gone.
We will be back. Repeatedly. And what a lesson it will be for our grandchildren of nature's course.
Craig-

I was there for Wilma too, Craig. I was at the Casa del Mar. And I feel exactly the way you do. :) Cheers!! Congrats on your marriage, too! I'm headed back, with eight other divers, the third week of April, and I can't wait!!

domino22:
If you never dove Cozumel go if you are a Coz Vet it will bring a tear to your eye. I will not be back for a long time, my dream dive spot was taken away from me and others who love the place and the people! I have since filed a complaint to GOD and mother nature and no responce has been recieved as of today. This damm act of nature will have a impact on people lives and those who care for them. I wish the best for Cozumel and all the friends I have made there over the last 20+ years. I hope someday I will be able to return. domino22

So why didn't you post this in "Whine and Cheese"? If you loved the people of Cozumel, as you claim, and had any interest in seeing them again you would want to return and support their business! PS. I have been going there off and on for the past 12 years and will continue. From other vets reports I don't believe that the reefs are totally destroyed as you suggest. Good bye to you! I will be there in April to show my support.

Edited by netDoc: Let's be friendly!

Guess it's a good thing you aren't from N.O. or the Gulf Coast. I imagine you'd nearly have to hang yourself :11doh:

I have only been to Coz twice. Last year and this year. I decided instead of sending a check to a relief fund, I'd take that much extra cash and hand it out, in addition to normal tipping, as I went, which I did. We had a great time last year and liked the people immediately. We got to see many of the same folks again, this year.

Things were definitely a little different. More bustle with contruction, less cruise folks in town, a couple of fewer bars, some sand on the reefs, a few less fish at spots, some suspended particles (sand?) in the water...

Longer boat rides to some further reefs (I LOVE long boat rides), perfect weather (last year not so perfect), vis is still pretty darn good (likely hard to beat as is), Punta Sur was awesome, clear and colorful (didn't get this last year, so a new adventure), a couple more shore dives (current was more conducive than last year), folks we were with were great (ohhh, same last year, but worth mentioning for me)...

But, I like to backpack in the snow (cold, but no bugs) and ride my bike in the rain in the summer (wet, but cooler)...guess everyone's trade space is a little different...

Of course I know they have a vested interest, but listening to folks that have dove there since the beginning (pics with Jacque, etc.) they seem to think you will be amazed in six months how the reefs have recovered.

Seems like someone with a 20 year history there would have seen changes and storm impacts before...but, then someone that thinks God just took over ownership of the reef and is now manning (godding ???) the complaint window has probably had their attention on something else.

Oh, well, happy to have shared...one more chair on the beach. Adios, Senior.

Fish_Whisperer:
I was there for Wilma too, Craig. I was at the Casa del Mar. And I feel exactly the way you do. :) Cheers!! Congrats on your marriage, too! I'm headed back, with eight other divers, the third week of April, and I can't wait!!

Hey Frank,
Thanks for the congrats. It's actually been 18 years! (she'll always be my "bride")
We're due to return Dec. '06, but hope to make a quick run before then. Guess we'll have to hurry to beat the start of hurricane season.
The way we were treated before, during and after Wilma was phenomenal. We'll always have a warm place in our hearts for those folks, especially Christi at Blue XTSea (who was crying with apology that we didn't get off the island- she really is a doll) and Johnny at Gallo Blanco Grill & Bar (who, with his staff, busted butt to give Wilma-weary folks a place to chill. amazing how nearly a 3rd of the entire Melia resort survivors showed up at Johnny's 2 days after the storm)
Enjoy your trip!
Craig-

Awesome, Craig. I can say the same for the staff of the Casa del Mar: Many of them didn't know if their own families and homes were okay, but they were unfailingly courteous, cheerful, hospitable, and worked around the clock. My hat is off to them... The greatest honor, for me, was going out afterwards, and helping to dig out the dive shop. A crew of seven of us busted our hump digging that place out, and I was glad for the opportunity to do something, ANYTHING to give back, to help out, and to share in what little bit I could do. Brings tears to my eyes...

I feel your pain about the dive sites. I know it's risky posting anything whatsoever negative about Coz as it has many defenders. If you go to the Coz board, you will see my recent trip report as I got back from there late last month. And I mentioned that a number of dive sites were in very poor shape. But some where in excellent shape. I have probably done a couple of hundred dives in Cozumel over the past few years I have been going there so have a reasonable recollection of their condition. That said, I don't know of another location that would be better to go to on the basis of cost, ease of travel, weather, and the wonderful people. So I DO intend to continue to diving and vacationing there - and may, in fact, end up buying some property there in the future. That's how much I like it.

I hear the question from people all the time, "what's the diving like in So-in-so?"
My responce is always the same, "it's the ocean, the diving's good."

Seriously, the ocean is an ever changing entity, whether due to hurricanes, currents, earthquakes or climate changes or any number of thousands of conditions.

Just because many of the dive spots that we have all come to love have been changed by the hurricanes doesn't mean the diving has been ruined. It just means that it may be a little harder to find those critters and flora that we are accustomed to. Being an amateur archeologist, I kind of look forward to the challange.

Sure it's going to take a long time for the reefs to totally recover, and it may not be some of our lifetimes before some areas are back to what we consider 100%.
From what I understand there are new dive sites that have been "uncovered" because of Wilma so all's not a dark cloud.

There will be more hurricanes and large storms, it's just going to happen. whether we choose to adapt with the changes of the reefs is up to us.

Now, Go get wet...Happy diving

MMM:
Gigi, you have twice called this person a troll. I don't know him/her but I did do a search on previous posts. This person has made in excess of 400 posts on a wide range of topics. Hardly a troll...I'd call that a contributing member to the board. While I disagree with the conclusion this person reached, I am disappointed with the tone of this thread.

I have taken some big hit's from my post. I did not mean to trash Cozumel or the people of Cozumel,period! I also said they put that island back together in a very short time where we are still dealing with our problems here. I will go back to Cozumel but I personally will have to give it some time to recoup. I was deeply saddened by some of what I saw that happened to the reefs, to me I remember what I always expected to see when I went there to dive it was always awesome I guess what I saw last week verse Labor Day of this year really upset me,I just want my old Cozumel back and no I did not give up on my friends there, remember I went to see for myself and form my own opinon. I did not turn my head away I went to see for myself. Do not crucifie me for posting what I saw and have photos of. Cozumel reefs have changed some more than others. I am not telling people not to go I am saying I need some time before I can return. And I would like to thank all of you who have sent me PM's it has helped take the sting out of the asault on my post. And who ever said "good one more spot for me" enjoy it I will be back!

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom