Good Bye Cozumel!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
MMM:
Gigi, you have twice called this person a troll. I don't know him/her but I did do a search on previous posts. This person has made in excess of 400 posts on a wide range of topics. Hardly a troll...I'd call that a contributing member to the board. While I disagree with the conclusion this person reached, I am disappointed with the tone of this thread.
I was going to say the same. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. There are some things on this board that are "gospel" and it is very hard for someone to say something different without getting stomped on.

Damselfish:
I was going to say the same. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. There are some things on this board that are "gospel" and it is very hard for someone to say something different without getting stomped on.
Amen!

MMM:
Gigi, you have twice called this person a troll. I don't know him/her but I did do a search on previous posts. This person has made in excess of 400 posts on a wide range of topics. Hardly a troll...I'd call that a contributing member to the board. While I disagree with the conclusion this person reached, I am disappointed with the tone of this thread.

I am also disappointed with the tone of the thread, starting with the first post, which probably should have gone in Whine & Cheeze, or at the very least the Cozumel subforum.

I apologize for calling domino22 a troll, and I probably shouldn't have continued to read this thread after I realized that I disagreed with his opinion regarding Cozumel, and while I might not have stated my own opinions in the same manner which domino22 used, he IS entitled to his own opinion. I just don't like the way his opinions were presented...sorry, I tend to call things as I see them, and the tone of the first post was a bit melodramatic and whiney.

My apologies to the group, especially domino22. I suppose I am just as angry to see someone bashing post-Wilma Cozumel as domino22 is to see his favorite dive spot changed and I am agreeing to disagree.

Giggi:
I am also disappointed with the tone of the thread, starting with the first post, which probably should have gone in Whine & Cheeze, or at the very least the Cozumel subforum.

I apologize for calling domino22 a troll, and I probably shouldn't have continued to read this thread after I realized that I disagreed with his opinion regarding Cozumel, and while I might not have stated my own opinions in the same manner which domino22 used, he IS entitled to his own opinion. I just don't like the way his opinions were presented...sorry, I tend to call things as I see them, and the tone of the first post was a bit melodramatic and whiney.

My apologies to the group, especially domino22. I suppose I am just as angry to see someone bashing post-Wilma Cozumel as domino22 is to see his favorite dive spot changed and I am agreeing to disagree.
Thank You! I will think more before I post again about a topic, and I will be back to Cozumel, my "Whiney" was more based on anger over a place that I have some awesome dives and times at and I really feel was stolen from me. I am pissed off about the whole thing I personally feel like I lost a great place to escape too. At least for now???

This is silly. He's talking about a reef and diving; people and god have nothing to do with it except for ****ing it up.

When I first read his post (and I still think this is true), he was JOKING about the complaints to God and Mother Nature. Like - who really expects a response to this complaint. And that he felt sorry for the people living on the island and the effect this has had on their lives. Domino - tell me that "I got it"....

Okay, I can see both sides of this - which really is usually not that difficult to do in most conflicts.

Domino22 is a far more accomplished and experienced diver than I will ever be, so I have to value his opinions. And when one loves anything largely for its beauty, it has to be very upsetting to see that greatly marred. Would the Monalisa not be as impressive if a vandal ripped a large tear out of it, including the smile? Of course it would not. It'd still be the result of all that has gone to produce and preserve it with its history and all, but disheartening for some to visit.

Some would disagree with my analogy, tho - just as they have disagreed with Domino. They might still see great beauty in the part not damaged, along with feeling more compassion. This thread will help me prepare myself for my trip back there next month, to try to be prepared to accept the devastation as part of natures plan and not just there for my amusement, as well as to seek out the beauty that is there.

Domino certainly has every right to post his report including his feelings and while others have every right to disagree with his post - criticizing him or his feelings isn't needed, altho I understand how you may feel. And including this post on the Coz forum will be beneficial to others preparing to go, I think.

MMM:
When I first read his post (and I still think this is true), he was JOKING about the complaints to God and Mother Nature. Like - who really expects a response to this complaint. And that he felt sorry for the people living on the island and the effect this has had on their lives. Domino - tell me that "I got it"....
Yes you got it! Some did not!

Here is a silver lining to this particular cloud. Or maybe not. Anyway... my opinion of diving Cozumel is 180 from domino22, and here is the reasoning.

My wife and I went to Cozumel for our OW referral (save it, I know we are wimps) 2 weeks ago. I was amazed and delighted by the dives, each one being better than the last. I saw more stuff than I could possibly remember. It quite literally was the best experience of my life (um, with clothing on). I guess this is a case of ignorance being bliss.

If you are starting your new dive life and are a loser like me who wants to cop-out of the mid-winter quarry dives to get your c-card, Cozumel is the place for sure. I would imagine that domino22 has a significant point if you have been there for the last several years and have expectations.

If the Pros stay away, that’s fine with me. I won't have to worry about getting shoved out of the way when Mr. or Mrs. Hotshot videographer zooms in for his close-up of the hawksbill...

Now, I would go to Cozumel if there wasn't a speck of coral, just to experience the fine folks and atmosphere. But once again, just me 2 cops. Oh, and just to be safe... NO OFFENSE TO ANYONE:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom