• Yes

Votes: 26 12.7%
  • No

Votes: 161 78.9%
  • once in a while

Votes: 17 8.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ClayJar:
When diving with an instabuddy, there's no point to telling a lie, as I've always had more left than they. :wink:
Being somewhat of an air-sipper, I've fudged a bit sometimes. Rather than make a newbie insta-buddy feel self conscious about his air consumption, I'll answer something vague like "about a 1000", even if I have more than half a tank left. They already knew that they were the limiting factor on the dive; there wasn't any reason to rub their nose in it.
If they ask for a specific number, I tell them. Only one time was I "caught" fudging a bit. The insta-buddy wanted to compare starting pressures before starting our 2nd shallow dive in the Keys. He looked at me kind of funny when I said "1800", thought about it for a few seconds, and asked "You didn't change out your tank, did you".

Of course, with a regular non-newbie non-airhog diver, I just give him the straight info. I usually do both a pre and post dive pressure comparison, as well as normally doing a check a few minutes into the dive. Knowing starting pressures, and comparing after I've used about 500 or 700psi makes it so that I can pretty well estimate my buddy's air pressure, even if he's and instabuddy and it's our first dive together.

Charlie

Isn't the original question about remaining air once a dive is over? I'm not sure what the risks are if you lie at that point. Sure, when being asked underwater by your buddy or DM, it's not cool to report you have 1000 when you've only got 300. But once you're back on the boat and everyone is "pulling them out to who is bigger" what's the harm? My canned response is 1000 only because it's nobody's business and frankly it annoys me when they ask as if it's some competition. YMMV

I lied once. Last week while I was putting on my wetsuit preparing to dive the Titanic, I told the DM I dove the site LOTS of times...

OK, I lied twice. DOH!

Blackwood:
I do. If you have less in your tank than rock bottom minus a managed proper ascent, I'll be ticked.

Even if it was a long surface swim or a long wait for the boat to pick us up and I opted to breathe from my reg instead of my snorkel? I blew through 400psi swimming up the spring run at Ginnie Spring after our drift dive because I told my newly certified student I would tow the flag upstream rather than make him do it.

During the dive it matters so I check regularly and start my ascents with plenty of gas. You should know when your buddy is getting low during the dive so if he's on the deck with less than your planned amount of air there's a little shared responsibility for the error there. The original question was comparing gauges on the boat, what's done is done and you're all alive.
Ber :lilbunny:

Looking back, there is one dive (actually a pair of dives) that I should be lying about now. I ended the dive with 1000 psi while in 30 fsw because I wanted to be extra safe! This was dive #5 and 6 after OW cert. But if I lied, no one could laugh at me for it!

I remember on a dive boat, we were 6 divers, 3 buddies had a long dive, and came back to the boat, and start asking male divers on the boat.."hey...how much air left in your tank??" found out their whole dive was about not breathing lots of air:huh: ...I am not sure if they held their breath or not:huh:

Charlie99:
They already knew that they were the limiting factor on the dive; there wasn't any reason to rub their nose in it.

Yeah, I can understand wanting to do tht but I would tell the buddy the truth and try to put them at ease in other ways. In Turkey I buddied up with an English guy who was pretty hard on his air. He kept apologizing for it but it really wasn't a problem. I kept telling him that I'd gladly sacrifice the extra 10 minutes for the fun we were having...

What I didn't tell him was that the 10 minutes was a little white lie but I really didn't care. I really enjoyed his company above and under water and I was perfectly content with the situation. (we did get him a bigger tank after the first day, though... :eyebrow: )

R..

I think now it is fun after a dive if someone asks me how much air left, I would say "how much do you want it to be?!!!:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom