• Yes

Votes: 26 12.7%
  • No

Votes: 161 78.9%
  • once in a while

Votes: 17 8.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Charlie99:
Being somewhat of an air-sipper, I've fudged a bit sometimes. Rather than make a newbie insta-buddy feel self conscious about his air consumption[...]
Interesting points; I'll certainly keep them in mind.

I often do SAC numbers with newer divers I'm diving with (to start them on the path to thinking about gas planning), so there's really no point in trying to hide anything -- they're going to want to compare. When I've been diving with a self-conscious air-hog (J.'s parents, for one... er, for two?), I've also made a point to give the "breathing your tank fast isn't a bad thing, but trying to breathe less will give you a headache or even hurt you" speech, followed by the usual "don't worry; you'll get better, especially once we fix your weight and trim" pep talk.

(J.'s parents are actually quite looking forward to my parents' pool getting cleaned and running, as they really want to come over for the whole weight, buoyancy, and trim boot camp I put J.'s older sister through. Apparently, the pep talks and our much more relaxed diving has them ready to improve themselves. :D)

I don't get why people lie. It's your air! LOL

When checking air with my "usual" buddies, we are generally within 300 psi of each other... almost always. When we're in the quarry, we start back to our exit point at about 500-700 psi (depending on our "whereabouts"), and surface by 300 psi. When we were drift diving off West Palm, we started our ascent at 500 psi and I generally surfaced with 300-400, safety stop included. I'm one of those "watch your air like a hawk" kind of people and thus never had an out of air experience. I'll knock on wood now. LOL

I dive solo almost all the time... who would I lie to?

I am with Charlie, I have occasionally lied on the conservitive side as to not overy stress a newer diver. IE, he had 750, I had 2000. I preferred not to make a big deal of this simply because he already knew he was the 'limiting factor' and it doesn't do him any good to overly stress about it (guilt of cutting my dive short etc). He just needed to know I had his spare gas in sufficient quantity and it didn't matter if I said 1000, 1500 or 2000 in this case.

I would never fudge the other way. That, and if you claim to be an 'advanced' diver - I tell it like it is, even if its 750 to my 2000.

Why bother? Having air in your tank when you get back on the boat is potential extra deco that you could have taken and didn't. I operate on a very strick Bingo Air system (Rock Bottom to you DIR types) which includes my right to suck my tank down to 100 PSI or so above ambient whilst directly under the boat and holding at 10 to 20 feet. And the DM who has a problem with than can go perform an unnatural act.

Oops, I misread the question.... Can't take my vote back now. No.

Why bother? Its my air and I'll breathe it as I see fit.
It's not in my nature to lie. Besides if I try, I so bad at it everyone can tell I'm lying.

Dave

If I caught a dive buddy lying to me about anything, I mean *anything* underwater we'd have to seriously talk about it. I'm hopeful that most people are crazy enough to put our lives at risk underwater.

Walter:
Snowwhite on her date with Pinocchio, "Lie to me, lie to me."

I anxiously await someone's tossing of this post into the pile with the rest of my hundreds of posts for not being workplace friendly.

**taps feeet...taps feet...."c'mon"...taps feet**

:D let's see what happens.

No need to lie, my wife and I always plan our dives on my air consumption, so I always have 500 psi left. Now her air is another story

Back
Top Bottom