How fast do prices go down?

Will the price go down soon?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Nat

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
hello everyone!
I'm ready to buy my gear (all from scubapro). I'm interested in the Galileo Luna computer, a700 / mk25 ,
And air2 to go along with the new Hydros pro BCD.
My question is: the hydros pro just came out so its 839$, how fast will the price of it go down?
My parents think I should wait for the price to go down but I don't think it will until years later.
What are your thoughts on it?

IMO - no. I priced a Knighthawk at least two years ago. IIRC it was $640-650. It's $637 now.

The only discount you'll see is possibly on the entire package price from one of their dealers.

Also you should qualify for free parts for life if you're buying everything together. Maybe there's a need to add a wetsuit to get the FPFL - I can't remember.

Last edited:
Prices don't go down, but you haggle with the dive shop for discounts and can usually expect to get 20% off list price, maybe a little more.

Scubapro is good quality, but also very expensive gear. They also have the free parts policy if you buy a total package, but that is a suckers bet designed to induce additional sales.

You are better served price and value wise by mixing and matching brands/gear that works for you. If you search the site there are lots of threads on buying the first set of gear full of useful advise.

Congrats on starting the journey...

I doubt very much that it will come down for any reason any time soon. The dive industry isn't like mobile phones or computers.

Here's a question, scubapro is great stuff, especially regulators, but why are you set on the Galileo Luna. It's a somewhat advanced computer, how long have you been diving, what are planning on doing with your diving. If you are planning going technical diving in the future, then for the same price I would get a Shearwater. If you have no plans to go tech, and stick with recreational open water stuff, then why such an advanced computer. If you are concerned about cost you can get a Suunto or Mares or something along those lines that will be close to half the price and serve you fine. I used a Suunto Zoop for several years as my open water computer. It was great, did nitrox up to 50% stored up to 50 dives, it was perfects and covered everything I needed.

Some shops or dealers will get you fixated on a brand, and say buy everything in one brand, but do your research and ask divers that are not shop affiliated. Different brands do better on different products. Scubapro is my go to for regs, that and Apex, computers especially tec, Shearwater. Look around and who specializes in what, and what divers are using before spending a load of cash.

The parts for life deal may be an advantage if you are buying regs and save on servicing, maybe

The parts for life deal may be an advantage if you are buying regs and save on servicing, maybe

No, its not. Regs don't need to be serviced every year. Every two is more than acceptable, and plenty of regs can go for longer.

It not the parts that get you, its the cost of labor that can eat you alive and make it a bad deal.

I doubt very much that it will come down for any reason any time soon. The dive industry isn't like mobile phones or computers.

It's an interesting theory that, because of what we have experienced with consumer electronics in recent years, we as a society are becoming conditioned to believe that the price of ANY product will be at its maximum when it is first introduced and will later be discounted when the manufacturer phases out the current generation of the product and rolls out the next generation.

In a niche industry like the dive industry, a manufacturer may continue to produce a popular product for years and years, and authorized retailers will never blatantly discount it.

No, its not. Regs don't need to be serviced every year. Every two is more than acceptable, and plenty of regs can go for longer.

It not the parts that get you, its the cost of labor that can eat you alive and make it a bad deal.

Parts for life requires service every two years, it used to be yearly

Back
Top Bottom