How fast do prices go down?

Will the price go down soon?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is highly doubtful that there will be a drop in price. Good gear is an investment and you already recognize that. You might find a dive shop with a generous owner who will help you with a gear package with some discount. Don't overlook a different model that costs less. There are plenty of quality Scubapro regulators and BC's that work just as well for less. You can always trade up as you become a more experienced diver.

I make over 100 dives a year with Scubapro gear and it is very reliable. As far as a Shearwater computer is concerned, several of my buddies and I own one and we agree that it is not a computer for an inexperienced diver. There is no beeping to remind you that you are in violation of something. It will flash lights but no sound. It's the best computer out there so far but also very expensive. You can get yourself in trouble easily if you do not know your computer, and they all can fail. I've had that happen with three of mine, so I dive with a backup as well. It's a very gear intensive sport.

call leisure pro ask them what's best price. If it's been on sale in the past, a lot of times a simple call gets you sale price. In the past I've got things up to 40% off just by calling them.

Reactions: mdb
Calls work since the manufacturer retail price enforces only on advertised price. A simple phone call can save many dollars-Leisure Pro would be a great choice for such a deal.

My mistake, but it still requires them to buy a whole Scubapro package and not just the reg, correct?
It's apparently required now, but I wouldn't say "still". That's a recent rule by scubapro. in 2014 when I bought my regulators it was not the case.

As for when to buy, at least for regulators.. scubapro generally comes out with new models of all their stuff every year. They require dealers to sell gear for a particular price, and allow them to offer a discount (I think it's 10%) in stores, but they can't advertise the discount. When the new model (say 2017) comes out, they allow dealers to heavily discount the previous year stuff. I bought one of my s600/mk25 regulators this way. I think it was from scuba.com an (at the time at least) authorized scubapro dealer. I also bought an mk2/r295 on the same discount program at a local dive shop in my town.

Other than that, I don't believe scubapro dealers are allowed to offer discounts.

Used gear can often be had for about half of retail. Sometimes sellers are looking for more, but I wouldn't consider used gear without at least 50% off of retail pricing.

The Hydros is a hot new product. The price may go up, before it goes down.

There is no beeping to remind you that you are in violation of something. It will flash lights but no sound. It's the best computer out there so far but also very expensive.
They are cheaper than a Galileo Luna. Everyone I know believes a lack of beeping is a plus.

Everyone I know believes a lack of beeping is a plus.

Usually those that dislike beeping computers cite the reason as being divers who are oblivious to their DC beeping, ignore the beep, and annoy everyone the whole dive.

I love the beep warnings on my galileo. However, I've configured them to happen at values I feel appropriate, and disabled a couple of them entirely. Also, I don't ignore the beeps - so it doesn't beep for long. Like any dive computer, you should learn how to use it well.

hello everyone!
I'm ready to buy my gear (all from scubapro). I'm interested in the Galileo Luna computer, a700 / mk25 ,
And air2 to go along with the new Hydros pro BCD.
My question is: the hydros pro just came out so its 839$, how fast will the price of it go down?
My parents think I should wait for the price to go down but I don't think it will until years later.
What are your thoughts on it?
In my experience, the only time prices go down is when the item has just been replaced by the newest model AND your supplier has some old stock of odd sizes / colors that they want to dump. Maybe you should be looking for good prices on the model that the hydros replaced?

The only reliable price cut occurs when a noobie buys all the wrong gear and is then forced to privately sell it used when they replace it with the proper stuff.

Back
Top Bottom