How fast do prices go down?

Will the price go down soon?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you buy all your gear from one vendor (whether it's a local shop, Leisure Pro, or whoever), you can potentially get as much as 40% off the whole package, compared to the price of buying each individual piece.

Mixing brands does not matter. It may even be an advantage in terms of the ability to give a discount. If you get ScubaPro regs and an Aqualung BCD, they can discount the whole package but when the SP rep sees it, the vendor can say "I sold your product at the price you allow - I just gave them a big discount on the AL stuff." And then flip that when the AL rep looks at it.

There is a "Request A Quote On A Package" thing on the Leisure Pro website. You select all the things you want (of any brand) and submit it and they'll email you a quote. I've tried a bunch of different packages that way and the discount off the total package cost is almost always 35 - 40%. They typically email the quote within a couple of hours of your request.

And no, I doubt you'll see a discount on the Hydros any time soon. It's too new to be replaced by something else any time soon.

If you buy all your gear from one vendor (whether it's a local shop, Leisure Pro, or whoever), you can potentially get as much as 40% off the whole package, compared to the price of buying each individual piece.
Many shops sell complete packages at a special discount, even mixing different brands. If you buy the whole package, you get a certain break from the total cost of all items in the package. Now, there are some items in that package you probably would not have bought right away, if at all, but, hey, it's a good price for the whole thing, so you go ahead.

I sat through a marketing workshop in which that strategy was explained. Each item in the package is carefully selected. The goal is that the entire package will provide the desired profit margin. Some individual items do not have enough of a markup to provide that needed profit margin. Some items, however, have HUGE markups, so adding them to the package balances out the ones with the smaller profit margins. Which ones have the really high profit margins? That's right--the ones you probably would not have purchased if they were not part of the package.

Many shops sell complete packages at a special discount, even mixing different brands. If you buy the whole package, you get a certain break from the total cost of all items in the package. Now, there are some items in that package you probably would not have bought right away, if at all, but, hey, it's a good price for the whole thing, so you go ahead.

I sat through a marketing workshop in which that strategy was explained. Each item in the package is carefully selected. The goal is that the entire package will provide the desired profit margin. Some individual items do not have enough of a markup to provide that needed profit margin. Some items, however, have HUGE markups, so adding them to the package balances out the ones with the smaller profit margins. Which ones have the really high profit margins? That's right--the ones you probably would not have purchased if they were not part of the package.
I'm usually not on board with marketing schemes but this seems pretty reasonable for both sides of the transaction.

I'm usually not on board with marketing schemes but this seems pretty reasonable for both sides of the transaction.
I do agree. A local dive shop has to make a specific profit margin in order to survive. They can't give away their products, or they would go out of business.

Retail dive stores frequently price at 50% Gross Margin, a 100% mark up from wholesale price. Internet dive retailers often take a 33% GM a 50% mark up from their wholesale price. Now most SCUBA companies sell to all retailers and try to enforce a MAP (minimum advertised price), usually a 10-20% price from the Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) A simple phone call often results in a significant discount.

Thank you for the quick response !!

Yes you have to buy First stage second stage octo (or air 2) computer and BCD to get the free parts for life deal from scubapro

Yes you have to buy First stage second stage octo (or air 2) computer and BCD to get the free parts for life deal from scubapro

One word of caution I'll mention on that program. Their dealers (Tackle Shack in Pinellas Park, FL in my case) change the rules on that program over time. I wouldn't count on it really being parts "for life" unless you're willing to engage a lawyer when it comes up. I had a regulator purchased with the parts for life program before it required you to buy everything. For the first 3 years, I got the free parts. Come service time at year4, they refused because I hadn't bought a whole package. Years 2-4 were all done at the same dealer. I argued with them, brought in the little "warranty" card you get describing the parts for life program all to no avail. I'm sure I could sue them, but I don't think it's worth all that trouble.

So, just to reiterate. Don't count on that parts for life program actually being honored for life.

Other than that, the products themselves have been good to me. I have no complaints about their performance. Parts for life was a major factor in my choice of scubapro over some others, so I'm quite steamed.

You can get gear that is just as good, if not better depending on your needs and where you will be diving, for half of what you'll pay for that Scuba Pro package. Don't fall for marketing hype. No manufacturer is going to sell unsafe gear. If your diving needs change over the next year you can expect to get maybe 50% of what you paid for those items if you need to sell them to change equipment. 30% on the BC.

Not that it isn't good gear, it is. Very good. Just way overpriced for what it does compared to other brands that you would not be able to tell the difference in performance.

Or if I read your post correctly your parents can.

Those parts are not free by any stretch of the imagination. You are paying for them on the front end.

Leisure Pro lets you make up your own package from whatever items you want. For a scuba package, they require the package to include a BCD, reg set w/octo, and a computer or gauges. You can optionally add up to 2 more items of any type. But, the required parts can be any brand/model they sell. This seems much nicer than most places with packages where the choices are made for you and you can't change them.

A snorkel package requires a mask, fins, snorkel and bag (which are as cheap as $8).

I bought a lot of my initial gear from my local shop. But, it's very handy to be able to shop a whole package from LP to get some idea of what a good price is versus what a shop tells you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom