Motorcycle or SCUBA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So I have a 1 in 100 million chance to die if I masturbate or have coffee. Copulation has odds of 1 in 10 million. Yet office work comes in at 1 in 1 million. Sooo, if you're looking for a safer hobby...well, don't take up office work. :D

I masturbate & drink coffee, but not while working in an office, not on a motorcycle, and definately not at the same time, should I trade my dive gear for a donkey owned by Juan Valdez, or ride a Hog to a show in TJ, and keep diving, ......

just curious, did you post the same question on the "harley board" bet you get a little different response....

Forget the Harley get one of the Crazy super fast race bikes. There are alot of people on Organ transplant lists, make sure the donor card is signed.

Now we are talking Bikes, Get the Aprilia RSV4 180hp $24k (I want one, it is a super sexy Italian import) or the BMW S1000RR 193hp $15k with abs. 0-60 in under 3 sec, top speed governed to 189mph. Talk about a rush. :D

It depends. If you do track days and club racing a lot then motorcycles are less safe. But if you own a Harley and it only gets ridden to the Starbuck Coffee 5 miles down the road once a month, then it's a pretty safe sport.

OK in 1974 I gave up Motocross racing for SCUBA Diving, I got certified in 1975, I find it more relaxing and with adventure.

Long time bike rider here. Biking riding you are at the mercy of every driver you come in close proximity to (hopefully, NOT in contact with). That's a lot of folks and some are terrible drivers. :shakehead:

Diving, pretty much just you and your buddy can get you killed or if you dive solo, it's just you. So, if you pick a good buddy and are honest about your skills, you have a fighting chance. :D

And... Russian Roulette is a leisure activity? Now that's an adrenaline junkie!

I did a quick search (every ambulance chaser in Miami came up) and came up with this chart that equates the risk of various activities by annual mortality rate.

newcombe1.gif

From a risk perspective, you can continue scuba diving and get a motorcycle if you stop sniffing glue. Everything in life is a trade-off. :wink:

Table Games and State Executions have the level of risk... what game are they playing??? Interesting chart vladimir.

Even with a new dive buddy, for my survival Im in solo mode. Not that I wouldnt be there to help him but am fully capable of taking care of my own. As for motorcycles [on road] your not always in charge of the outcome. IMO they have gotten more dangerous with more cars on the roads and more people talking on cell phones, or dialing:no: while driving, texting, putting on lipstick, fumbling with cd's or kids in the backseat, weve seen it all. I think bicycling on the road is even more nuts. Life is full of risks unless you ride the couch all day, I say get both and ride with others when you can with the loudest pipes you can stand so they may hear you coming.

For me the two sports are polar opposites in 'affect'. Bikes get my blood boiling (especially Agusta's or Duc's). Scuba on the other hand equates to relaxation for me.

Frankly, I couldn't do without either.

Just mitigate your risks and manage your budget and you can have the best of both worlds.

As far as safer...scuba. Statistics prove that but there are far more motorcycles on the road than scuba divers at anyone time. Cagers texting, talking on cellphone, eating, putting on makeup, fighting with the spouse or kids, lost, or just don't care (I carry a gun for those) make it more dangerous. I treat every scuba dive as a solo dive unless I am with those few people I truly trust and I treat every vehicle out there as they don't see me and those that do are trying to kill me.
I do both and in November when my trailer is ready it will be my vehicle of choice for scuba diving and motorcycling. It is designed to keep the heavy stuff in the right place over the wheels, has 24 cu ft of space and I will be able to carry all my gear plus two steel 100's and go.

Attachments

• Picture 8.jpg
    Picture 8.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 54

Back
Top Bottom