Oceanic Delta 4 vs. Sherwood Maximus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CuriousRambler

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm still trying to land a solid price on all my equipment, and more importantly, try to figure out what I want for equipment regardless of price. I've been looking all over at regs and trying to find reviews, but I honestly don't even know where to start. As of now, I'm looking at the Oceanic Delta 4 and the Sherwood Maximus. I haven't been into my LDS, but being in Montana I'm not assuming a wonderful selection :wink:

I know they carry Oceanic gear, but I didn't look too close other than that, as it was quieter than a mime in a tomb and it made me nervous haha. Obviously cheaper is better, but I figure I'm going to be relying on my reg more than any other piece of gear, so I'm more willing to splurge for a better reg than the rest of my gear (which are still pretty liberal decisions thus far).

I've looked around, and seen plenty of good reviews on both regs, but I didn't find any threads directly comparing the two. What are your thoughts on them, is either one considerably better than the other, or should I shoot for price?

For a bit of background, I plan to do some local diving, which I'm not sure exactly how chilly the water will be, but I'd guess 40*F or so, maybe lower, maybe higher...I'm just guessing.. It's usually pretty cold on the surface (50* or so I'd guess), but I've yet to dive anywhere locally. With the cold diving around here, I have every intent of traveling and diving tropics with the same equipment, so an adjustable reg is definitely preferrable.

Since I'm so blind on where to go for regs, if you've got another one you'd suggest strongly over these two I'm open to it.

I saw that as well. What's the difference betweeb the Legend LX and the LX Supreme? I remember seeing an ad in Sport Diver (I think?) years ago for the Legend and drooling over it...Maybe I'll end up going that route?

you know, good question. i know it has a silver ring. if you upgrade to the legend "Dubz" series it comes with a wheel that is crome and spins on the front and a gold chain instead of a hose.

Codyjp:
aqua lung is giving away a free matching octo with reg purchase. it is a pretty good deal...

We(oceanic) have a free wetsuit with setup purchase

If you search Delta 4 you'll see lots of very happy campers.

Best,

Chris

Most of the gear I'm looking at is Oceanic, except my exposure protection. Like I said though, I'm totally clueless on regulators, so I need some direction heh. I'm hoping to borrow a car to get back to the shop this weekend now that I have a couple questions in mind, but it couldn't hurt to have opinions straight from the guys who use the stuff.

The only issues with the free wetsuit is that I don't think a 3/2 would be warm enough for local dives, and I'm not sure I'm going to get a computer yet. If I do it's looking like it will be a Veo 180, which doesn't qualify :( Thanks for pointing it out though, I hadn't noticed that on their website, despite being there a number of times every day for the past couple weeks.

Look I'm biased but can honestly say I prefer the Delta 4 over the Maximus.

So from the sounds of it, the Maximus is out of the question...But how does the Aqualung Legend LX compare to the Delta 4? I guess I'm changing to those two options now heh.

For cold water and easy service the Maximus is bulletproof.

How adjustable is it? Cold water's good, but I'm hoping to not hang out around here too much longer in favor of warmer waters.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom